ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Z4s @ Laguna Seca!

Just throwing this out there early for all you track junkies and future track junky wannabes
NCRC (NorCal Racing Club) is hosting a really cheap Laguna Seca track day at the end of the year, and I highly suggest those that are even remotely interested to sign up ASAP! Spots at this rate will book out real quick.

Bottom of the page: http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

Host: NorCal Racing Club

Who: everyone is invited as this event is open to all. However, on this particular day, NCRC will not be offering instructors at an additional fee. I still recommend going as a beginner (Solo run group) if you've not had track experience before.

When: Sunday, December 23rd, 2012 all day

Where: world famous Laguna Seca! (a.k.a. Mazda Raceway)

Price: LESS THAN $200!!! Never before heard of at Laguna. And I've been there quite a few times to know
$169 for NCRC members; $179 for non-members. $40 annual membership fee is OPTIONAL.

How: sign up!

Last edited by mfanatic325; 07-16-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Official Attendance List:
1. mfanatic325 (Lon)
2. Finnegan (Ron)
3. Skelekitty (Krissi)
4. snk (Sat)
5. Aestheticstorm (Errol)
6. Dorifto88 (Mike)
7. kcdedric?
8. Gferil (Gernard)
9. Beta (Vonleigh)?
10. CalRick (Rick)
11. krnnerdboy
12. EMP07 (Bill)
13. Colatkitty
14. Colat's friend
As of 4:00PM 11/17/2012

Last edited by mfanatic325; 11-17-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Wow that's real cheap for an awesome track. If I were local I'd be there for sure. By the way for those that are thinking of going without an instructor that never drove on this track be careful out there. Its supposedly a tricky track at some areas.
Damn I wish I could do this!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Lon is it safe to assume that those of us with no track experience must sign up under the "solo" class?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
Lon is it safe to assume that those of us with no track experience must sign up under the "solo" class?
Yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
Wow that's real cheap for an awesome track. If I were local I'd be there for sure. By the way for those that are thinking of going without an instructor that never drove on this track be careful out there. Its supposedly a tricky track at some areas.
Damn I wish I could do this!
No worries. I will personally ride along with as many beginners as necessary to get them off on the right footing
They will be going slowly. Almost follow-the-leader pace, so it should be no big deal at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Roadsters ok?
      07-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Yes, as long as your head + helmet don't pop up above the roofline. Basically if you can clear with your top up, then you're good to go.

Sign up ASAP guys! Let's get a bunch of Z4s out there hehehe. We will rule the circuit

For non-NCRC members, the pricing is $179. Membership fee is $40 per year if you so choose to get a membership. If you don't track that much, I'd just save the $40
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Yes I'm interested. Just need to make sure that my e89 is allowed under the convertible restrictions (no additional roll bar required)

Edit with respond from NCRC: As long as you pass the broomstick test with the existing roll hoops, you’re fine. I’m assuming the 2011 Z4 has hoops behind the seats similar to the previous generation.

Last edited by snk; 07-17-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Just signed up. Add me to the list Lon.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Bump,
great price for a day at Laguna
      07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Krissi and I are going to sign up. I'm eager to drive this track, and will probably do it before this event in the fall with BMWCCA or another outfit. Great price, and it looks like a fun track to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Yes sir!

No worries. I will personally ride along with as many beginners as necessary to get them off on the right footing

They will be going slowly. Almost follow-the-leader pace, so it should be no big deal at all.
First, Lon, thank you for working to coordinate what is going to be a great day for Zpost members! Awesome!

I'm just a bit concerned about the Solo qualifications, and based on NCRC's rules, either you have an NCRC instructor in the car or you need to have completed Driving School with NCRC (or another outfit, like HOD, Trackmasters, NASA, or BMWCCA). It's on their web page at the top of the events listing, and also under the rungroup qualifications. I don't want to discourage folks--I love driving and driving on the track and think it would be great to get more folks out--but I don't want folks to not qualify either.

Mike, (or anyone else without track experience) I'd recommend you do a DS event with NCRC, HOD, or Trackmasters, or NASA at Thill (or Laguna) first. IMO you'll enjoy Laguna a lot more if you have some experience under your belt, and others will as well. That doesn't mean Lon can't share his track knowledge, far from it, but it will mean you'll be better able to absorb it and take it in.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-17-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Damn!
Officially gealous here!
That's a kick ass price!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I'm already signed up for October 20, but if y'all are going to this one, I may be persuaded to do this one too.

I'm excited to practice in Gran Turismo 5, which I can't do for Thunderhill. I have a steering wheel and seat rig, and my car set up to my real world specs
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Krissi and I are going to sign up. I'm eager to drive this track, and will probably do it before this event in the fall with BMWCCA or another outfit. Great price, and it looks like a fun track to drive.

First, Lon, thank you for working to coordinate what is going to be a great day for Zpost members! Awesome!

I'm just a bit concerned about the Solo qualifications, and based on NCRC's rules, either you have an NCRC instructor in the car or you need to have completed Driving School with NCRC (or another outfit, like HOD, Trackmasters, NASA, or BMWCCA). It's on their web page at the top of the events listing, and also under the rungroup qualifications. I don't want to discourage folks--I love driving and driving on the track and think it would be great to get more folks out--but I don't want folks to not qualify either.

Mike, (or anyone else without track experience) I'd recommend you do a DS event with NCRC, HOD, or Trackmasters, or NASA at Thill (or Laguna) first. IMO you'll enjoy Laguna a lot more if you have some experience under your belt, and others will as well. That doesn't mean Lon can't share his track knowledge, far from it, but it will mean you'll be better able to absorb it and take it in.

that is my concern as well. ill be at thunder hill on the 14th of august, but its not a track day event. i guess i should email them and ask them...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Quote:
I don't want to discourage folks--I love driving and driving on the track and think it would be great to get more folks out--but I don't want folks to not qualify either.

I have confirmed with NCRC that as first timer, you have to have an instructor. You could have a friend, who's qualified, to be the instructor, or pay an additional $129 for instructor.
Since I have already signed up without knowing this - anyone qualified wants to be my instructor? Or other beginners going for the events mentioned above?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
I have confirmed with NCRC that as first timer, you have to have an instructor. You could have a friend, who's qualified, to be the instructor, or pay an additional $129 for instructor.
Since I have already signed up without knowing this - anyone qualified wants to be my instructor? Or other beginners going for the events mentioned above?
im contemplating going to the event on aug 24th to get the drivers school thing out of the way. otherwise im sure Lon wouldnt mind
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Yeah I definitely wouldn't mind being instructor for those that are interested. People can also take turns doing ride-alongs with me as long as you're okay with it. I know some people are just terrible as passengers (get dizzy and stuff). Personally, I don't prefer riding in someone else's car at speed unless they're really competent
I agree with Ron in the sense that some sort of performance driving school would be nice going into a first day track event. I used to do mountain runs way back in the day before I even really started getting into modifying cars correctly lol. My eyes were soon opened to what real driving really is all about, but at least I had a decent ground base to start off with. Can't be afraid to hit the go-pedal, and just as importantly (if not more important), can't be afraid to brake either.
For beginners, I'd just stress driving lines only. No emphasis will be put on speed for obvious reasons. I feel like I'm doubly qualified because I've been coaching tennis for the past 6 or 7 years and have been able to develop top-ranked juniors in California
My passion for performance driving extends even moreso, as I feel that I personally have a ton more talent in car-control than tennis ball control; despite the fact that I was quite decent at tennis

BTW, I just recently borrowed a friend's PS3, along with his LogiTech G25 steering wheel/pedal/shifter combo. I'm going to try and rig up a setup using my stock driver side seat from the Z4M and plan on trying for the Nissan GT Academy 2013. Two of my friends are in the top 16 this year (out of 400,000 contestants worldwide) and are going to be competing (and subsequently be on Spike TV) in the UK @ the world famous Silverstone circuit. The winner will go pro Talk about dream come true

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-23-2012 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

I'd be more than willing to tag along with one of the beginners one of these days to a Laguna event and instruct. Can get you ready for end of the year Zpost Laguna extravaganza/take-over/epic-ness

As for the December 23rd track day, I'd probably be locked into one person per session, as precious track time would be lost if we tried to switch cars mid-session.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Yeah let me look into some kind of instruction before I sign up for this one. Does the BMWCCA car control clinic count as one?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Yeah let me look into some kind of instruction before I sign up for this one. Does the BMWCCA car control clinic count as one?
gernard if you sign up for something before the dec 23rd event let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
No, on-track experience is required for NCRC with their driving school or a similar outfit. It's not just about car control--being on the track requires you to be aware of the line, braking zone, flag stations, and those around you. A good start with an instructor and/or driving school can really help with that. DS involves classroom time, follow the leader (learn the line), flag practice, and structured passing practice (pointing by, passed car and passing car responsibilities), etc. NASA is doing a two day HPDE at Thill in August--highly recommend that one if you can do it (you'll learn tons during a NASA weekend). I may be going to that one--will let folks know if that is the case.

Also, the BMW Car Control Clinic is a pre-req to get into the equivalent of driving school with BMWCCA. A Car Control Clinic is fun, and will teach you a lot you'll use on track, and is good general prep.

I took a second CCC with the local Porsche club one a month or so ago, and even with having spent time on the track I still picked up another thing or two (so did Krissi). I highly recommend CCC to anyone--if for no other reason than it gives you more skills to deal with bad situations as they arise on the road. (Krissi credits her first Car Control Clinic with saving her from some idiot 2 days after she took the course. She was able to "drive out" of a bad situation using the skills she'd added. Good stuff.)

I can also ride along with you (or someone else) if you'd like. Totally agree with Lon about learning to drive the line and master smooth inputs. Speed comes with time, and learning good habits pays off down the road.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-18-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
No, on-track experience is required for NCRC with their driving school or a similar outfit.

Also, the Car Control Clinic is a pre-req to get into the equivalent of driving school with BMWCCA.

A Car Control clinic is fun, and will teach you a lot you'll use on track, and is good general prep.

I did my second one a month or so ago, and even with having spent time on the track I still picked up another thing or two. I highly recommend these to anyone--if for no other reason than it gives you more skills to deal with idiots on the road. Krissi credits her first Car Control Clinic with saving her from some idiot 2 days after she took the course. She was able to "drive out" of a bad situation using the skills she'd added. Good stuff.
Thanks for the clarification. I plan on doing the car control with Cris (E89 Z4 that did our exhaust fest video), and I'll keep a lookout for any other instructional courses before the December date.

Mike, for sure man I'll keep you in the loop, the more the merrier.
Appreciate 0