ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
tempotantrum
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0si Montego Blue

Would you change the Water Pump

Hi All- Going to take my 2006 3.0si 6spd mt Z4 in for some needed maintenance (fluids & inspection). It has 56000 on it and has given me zero problems in the 4 years I have had it (other than the top motor - but that is another issue). My question is - after reading many threads - I cant decide if I should proactively change the electric water pump & tstat or wait until i get put on the roadside. It isnt the 56K that worries me, it is the 14 years of age. It is a weekend car mostly and it only driven about 3k per year. Any other preventative items you would do on a 14 yr old Z4 with 56K? I do change the oil & filter myself each spring - so that has always been done, but other than a coolant flush & brake fluid 3 yrs ago and an air filter, I have had to do nothing. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Preventative maintenance never hurts
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:36 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Having been let down by a 14 year old water pump I say do it. Get rid of the plastic thermostat housing while you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
I wouldn't. It's not an infamous issue and I suspect electrical motors / pumps are more usage-driven wear items rather than age-driven. I also really dislike anything that involves draining coolant.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
It has been mentioned the electric water pumps appear to last longer on the E85 and E86 models perhaps due to less cramped conditions and more airflow - so less heat. I have 156k miles on mine and I've been getting water pump codes now found in INPA. So my pump will be changed very soon. Unless yours is showing error codes I would keep using it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
Whatever is more convenient for you. In general, water pumps can last but some don't. If you have the time why not. If it's an everyday car I would probably replace it, but if it's a weekend car like you mentioned it can wait at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bears View Post
Whatever is more convenient for you. In general, water pumps can last but some don't. If you have the time why not. If it's an everyday car I would probably replace it, but if it's a weekend car like you mentioned it can wait at least for me.
Just evaluate your risks, when the pumps fails you are broken down and stranded.

If you don't go far from home and the towing cost is not much, it's your second car etc it's easier to wait.
Appreciate 1
T-Bears42.50
      08-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Just evaluate your risks, when the pumps fails you are broken down and stranded.

If you don't go far from home and the towing cost is not much, it's your second car etc it's easier to wait.
O.P.'s car is 56k and modern water pumps will last up 80-100k easy, right now I'm still using my original water pump on with 140k. With all that life left plus being driven 3k a year with proper flush there is really no risk to worry about. He has plenty of time to plan for a replacement.

It's going to come down to will it be convenient for him to change it now or later?I could understand if his water pump is pushing 80k, but at the rate of 3k a year of driving he has another 7-8 years before he needs to really worry about it.

Tempotantrum, if you change your coolant religiously you should be fine for a while it will prolong the life of the bearings in your WP. However, if you have the extra time now why not? I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by T-Bears; 08-31-2020 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bears View Post
Quote:

O.P.'s car is 56k and modern water pumps will last up 80-100k easy, right now I'm still using my original water pump on with 140k. With all that life left plus being driven 3k a year with proper flush there is really no risk to worry about. He has plenty of time to plan for a replacement.

It's going to come down to will it be convenient for him to change it now or later?I could understand if his water pump is pushing 80k, but at the rate of 3k a year of driving he has another 7-8 years before he needs to really worry about it.

Tempotantrum, if you change your coolant religiously you should be fine for a while it will prolong the life of the bearings in your WP.
But it's not bearing failure that's the problem. The electronics died on mine at 70,000 and 43 miles from home. It was also my daily. Had to barrow a car until I could get the parts and replace. My old commute was 43 miles each way.

Back then money was tight and workshop fees were not an option.

This was on the E85 that has better airflow in the engine bay. Drove the on the replacement pump for another five years or 130k before trading up cars.

Funny enough, I had my E89 for three days and the water pump failed. Yep 32,000 miles and 4 years old. Extended warranty covered the towing pump and loaner.

I don't normally believe in replacing good parts, I was simply advocating risk evaluation.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But it's not bearing failure that's the problem. The electronics died on mine at 70,000 and 43 miles from home. It was also my daily. Had to barrow a car until I could get the parts and replace. My old commute was 43 miles each way.

Back then money was tight and workshop fees were not an option.

This was on the E85 that has better airflow in the engine bay. Drove the on the replacement pump for another five years or 130k before trading up cars.

Funny enough, I had my E89 for three days and the water pump failed. Yep 32,000 miles and 4 years old. Extended warranty covered the towing pump and loaner.

I don't normally believe in replacing good parts, I was simply advocating risk evaluation.
I used to work for a German shop before college and out of 30 WP installs there was a time I replaced a water pump with bad electronics it had about 76k and it happens no doubt the coolant got into the electrical area. No one really knows when things go bad just like your water pump going out at 32k.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if the OP will have the time or money to install or take it to the shop.

Was your E89 Manual or auto? I looked online the new Z4 will only be offered in auto. Auto is nice but two of my cars are auto, a 6sp manual Z4 would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
My Z4 3.5IS has the DCT. I love the DCT, shifts fast, on demand and hard. Exhaust note during a shift is near perfect for me.

I let my wife drive my cars and she does not like standards. Compromises people make to stay married for nearly 30 years.
Appreciate 0