ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Braking Impressions after track day

2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Well I had my first track day and the car handled fantastic! My instructor was impressed with the car and with my driving capabilities. However my brakes were not performing to their maximum capability.

I will say I made the mistake of running EBC Redstuff pads and non racing fluid. I wouldn't say I was experiencing loss of brakes, however I was having brake fade toward the end...well while I was leaving at least.

However I am going to be replacing the pads and fluid. But my thinking is, why replace the pads alone, when there is the possibly to make the whole system better. I do not want spend an enormous amount and with the age of our cars and the BMW fanatics out there I was hoping that I could come to a financially reasonable conclusion.

This brings me to another question, will E36/E46 BBK fit our cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
This is a good read:
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442217

BBKs are expensive and you'll have to get new wheels to clear them. Are you asking because you have a lead on a used bbk kit that makes this an affordable option for you?

Upgrading the pads and fluid is pretty common for track. It's a great starting point. Why spend a ton of $ when that alone will do the trick. If your pedal was mushy, upgrade the fluid. If the pedal was firm but braking power was reduced, get track pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I had my local Indy shop do a brake flush and fill with racing fluid. Made a big difference alone, he said change it every year with tracking. Cost was $85.

This was on my 03 z4 2.5i, my 08 Z4C 3.0si did better with out any changes. I think it has larger brakes which may help.
Appreciate 2
wdb4695.50
      08-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Fluids are the most important part of the whole system. I have had good luck using ATE fluids and Motul, ATE lasts longer for a dual use car, but Motul has a higher boiling point but does loses its efficiency quicker. I change mine yearly and use Motul these days

For Pads, you will want to step up to an actual track pad, I have tried several dual purpose pads (DS2500, PMU HC+) and ultimately, it will handle light duty track and perhaps at least a few hot laps, but it is not a proper track pad and it will eventually fall apart, the worst part of this is that, it also dusts more than street pads, and noisier so its neither here nor there.

Hawk DTC works very well when you put the heat into them, but it is very noisy, very aggressive on your rotors, and its dust is super corrosive

I am using Porterfield R4-1 right now on the Z4 and have worked very well. My one complaint is my own undoing (lapping with track pads... on white wheels)

Do upgrade your rears as well, while the rears are almost always underutilized with stock brake bias, running a much stronger pad in the front and something street friendly will affect your braking performance as well. It doesn't have to match, but it should be at least a fast street/dual duty pad.

Rotors is rotors, and in my older days with my Miatas, I used to just get Centric blanks, something relatively inexpensive and just change them when they warp or wear. I find fancy rotors offers very little benefits for their cost, you will warp anything if you try hard enough

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0