ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Anyone know what the exhaust setup in this car is? RPi mufflers of course but is that it? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust and this is the best sounding setup I've heard so far (been listening all on youtube nothing in person). If I can achieve that same sound ill be more than satisfied. Been going crazy tryna figure out what I wanna do. TIA

Best part is after 15sec
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

This is a very similar sound to when I had Section 1 straight pipes (secondary cat delete) and muffler deletes on my old Z4m. My best guess is that this is RPI section 3 paired section 1 straight pipes. Here is my video:
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
This is a very similar sound to when I had Section 1 straight pipes (secondary cat delete) and muffler deletes on my old Z4m. My best guess is that this is RPI section 3 paired section 1 straight pipes. Here is my video:
Awesome yours sounds good too! I found the exhaust setup in the vid I posted. A lot more work needed then I wanted to pursue at the moment unfortunately lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Quote:
Awesome yours sounds good too! I found the exhaust setup in my vid. A lot more work needed then I wanted to pursue at the moment unfortunately lol
I honestly wouldn't do the RPI's, my old setup I did no secondary cats and no mufflers and it's horrible for daily driving/drone in general. If I were to do it again I would do headers+section 1 (no secondary cats) and leave the stock Xpipe and mufflers. That's what I'm going to be doing on my current car. If it's a track car or you want the big weight savings from eliminating the mufflers that's another thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't do the RPI's, my old setup I did no secondary cats and no mufflers and it's horrible for daily driving/drone in general. If I were to do it again I would do headers+section 1 (no secondary cats) and leave the stock Xpipe and mufflers. That's what I'm going to be doing on my current car. If it's a track car or you want the big weight savings from eliminating the mufflers that's another thing.
Gotcha yea it seems catless headers are the way to go for the best sound. I'm taking my mufflers off tonight actually just to see how it sounds/drones but if I go the headers route I gotta do more research to see if I can pass inspection in NJ with a tune. I don't really want to mess with the stock tuning and do anything more aggressive but gotta see if the software will alter the readiness reading (not sure if thats the right term) to allow me to pass.

Choosing the right exhaust setup is proving to be a lot more complicated than I expected with this car. The catless
/tuning road is not a path I want to go down lol Was thinking E46 M3s all sound great so picking a setup with the z4m should also be a piece of cake but that is proving to not be the case

Last edited by ryank382; 04-05-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Quote:
Gotcha yea it seems catless headers are the way to go for the best sound. I'm taking my mufflers off tonight actually just to see how it sounds/drones but if I go the headers route I gotta do more research to see if I can pass inspection in NJ with a tune. I don't really want to mess with the stock tuning and do anything more aggressive but gotta see if the software will alter the readiness reading (not sure if thats the right term) to allow me to pass.

Choosing the right exhaust setup is proving to be a lot more complicated than I expected with this car. The catless
/tuning road is not a path I want to go down lol Was thinking E46 M3s all sound great so picking a setup with the z4m should also be a piece of cake but that is proving to not be the case
If you don't want to do any more power mods then just do a muffler delete and leave it as that. When you touch anything else it will drone like crazy. Once you remove the cats in section 1 or do headers it becomes loud! I'm in a roadster so the sound is even louder but you don't want your interior to be rattling.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Most folks running completely catless (header + section 1) revert back to stock mufflers or a set of resonators to dial down the volume.

The trailing throttle burbles will come with the header. Do keep in mind local track sound regulations if you plan to use the car regularly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you don't want to do any more power mods then just do a muffler delete and leave it as that. When you touch anything else it will drone like crazy. Once you remove the cats in section 1 or do headers it becomes loud! I'm in a roadster so the sound is even louder but you don't want your interior to be rattling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Most folks running completely catless (header + section 1) revert back to stock mufflers or a set of resonators to dial down the volume.

The trailing throttle burbles will come with the header. Do keep in mind local track sound regulations if you plan to use the car regularly.

Understood, thank you for the info. I can handle a little drone as my other car is an F80 with a remus catback that i drive with valves fully open 80% of the time. I'm also fairly young at 25 so that helps.

I definitely like loud. Half the reason I got a roadster is so I can row gears and listen to the exhaust scream with the top down. I realllly love that throaty sound the headers give and am thinking there might not be any other way to achieve it. However I don't want to have to put a cat on every time inspection comes around is there a common solution? a specific cat(thats guaranteed to pass) that everyone uses on section 1 after relocating the O2 sensors? But maybe that'll will tone down the mean throaty sound im going for. I've read about so many different setups im starting to get confused lol

In the meantime I'm taking the mufflers off tonight to see how it sounds and hoping theres less ricey rasp then the youtube vids make it seem like there is
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
A car can certainly pass the numbers and OBDII part of the SMOG test with relocated O2 sensors, aftermarket or euro cat (section 1). Passing visual inspection depends on how investigative the tech is, as parts without a BMW logo may be more suspect.

Other members on the board are likely more familiar with NJ.
Appreciate 1
ryank382102.00
      04-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I run full catless with resonators in section 1, stock x pipe, and stromung mufflers, and I’m nowhere near as loud as that video. Has to be catless w/ RPI or no mufflers

I’m with you, loud roadster is good roadster
      04-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I run full catless with resonators in section 1, stock x pipe, and stromung mufflers, and I’m nowhere near as loud as that video. Has to be catless w/ RPI or no mufflers

What do you do about inspection?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #12
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

I pass

04-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
Syed///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6Mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post

Are you running a tune for the cel?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Yeah ESS