ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

A step beyond in dash GPS

I have been watching many forums for the past couple of years and I have been wanting something beyone GPS. On my phone I have Google Maps/Waze, Raindar (weather radar), and Spotify (Music). So, I began searching for something that will allow those apps, but in a larger format.

Here is what I have come up with, a Samsung 8" tablet with ATT service. The setup allows me to download maps and music for those limited service areas, but still have real time weather radar.

I ordered a tablet case, a long/powerful magnetic mount, and magnetic plates, all from Amazon.

Here is the magnetic mounnt.

The tablet connects to the car via bluetooth and plays hours of music with out having to burn data, as Spotify allows you to have offline music.

We drove to Branson and attended this year's ZFest the tablet was used the entire trip.

When we got to a rest area or restaurant, I pulled the tablet off the magnetic mount and brought it with me.

BTW... the steering wheel controls also work with this setup.

The next part of the project will be to reroute the USB charger/plug through the dash. I want the ashtray closed.

Last edited by tIndy; 06-03-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
StickMon635.00
      06-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Very nice! I use an iPad Mini in a very similar manner.

Google Maps lets me download regions for offline use, so before setting off I load a fresh batch.

I don't listen to music much so I take what I can get when I get it, but I do get it via the iPad and Sirius. When the map girl needs to give me a direction she lowers the music volume, gives me the information, and then raises the music back up again.

I have the aluminum trim and put a magnet to the right of the center stack so it would not block any controls or vents. I do wish it was closer but the compromise is acceptable.

I just use the Aux In for audio connectivity. The built-in Bluetooth is not high fidelity; okay for phone calls but not music. May I assume you use some kind of adapter?

I'm also thrilled to hear from another ZSCCA member. Those folks are the greatest.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

This setup works amazing. Nice thing is that I can get a new tablet and have it up and running as my GPS in just a few hours.

Here is what I'm using for audio.

http://a.co/ijAwDnq
Appreciate 0