ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
eggman51
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Guidance on brakes - my intended product is not in stock for months

Hey Folks,

I thought I had a plan for servicing my brakes sorted as prep for some upcoming track days. My brakes definitely need to be serviced before I will be comfortable driving the car on the track. I'm booked for 4 consecutive track days in mid June and don't want to miss that.

I was going to order ECS Tuning 2 piece rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for both front and rear. I had also ordered a caliper rebuild kit for all 4 corners and stainless steel brake lines - so these costs start to add up.

However, after placing the order for a couple of weeks now, it turns out the front rotors are not available until August.

My options appear to be:
1. Use OEM / Zimmerman rotors - less than I was planning to spend on the ECS product
2. A BBK, likely the Racing Brake kit - about 3 times what I was planning to spend
3. Something else I have not considered

I can always upgrade to a BBK later is certainly one thought - but the cost of a 4 corner brake refresh with the OEM product is not exactly cheap, also factoring labour (I don't have the time / skills to do this brake upgrade).

I absolutely love good brakes having driven formula cars as a young man. I am nowhere near as good a driver as the Z4 M can handle, so this is not about extracting performance as much as it is about having some lovely brakes to stand on

Any guidance much appreciated.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M, X3 35i, i3 REx

Garage List
Those HPS pads won’t last more than 2 track days if that... get a real track pad

I personally would avoid any ECS in house built stuff. Get OEM rotors from FCP Euro, yes OEM is expensive but FCP has lifetime replacement policy for even wear n tear items.
      04-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #3
kyriian
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [0.00]
Get in touch with BMW Parts Pro, they are a sponsor here and they have the lowest prices for OEM brake rotors that I have found

as for pads, I will always be the one to be adament you go dual pads, anything that can handle track heat will be dreadful on the street with the pig squeal.

Hawk DTC is amazing for track use and will handle extended sessions, but its absolutely horrid for dust and eats rotors for breakfast.
I have heard good things from everyone that has used G-loc, maybe look into those pads
      04-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Azeka1
Track Junkie
Albania
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
Good advice from 3002Tii and I would 100% recommend FCP as well. Their service and lifetime warranty, even on consumables, is unmatched.

OEM brakes are more than enough when combined with proper track pads and 600+ fluid.

If you want a very capable and reliable setup, I would do the following and all from FCP with Lifetime replacement:
- New OEM Rotors (if needed)
- HAWK DTC 60 (better modulation with less initial bite) - I prefer DTC 70 but also have some aero & brake late
- Brass Sliders
- Motul 660 fluid
- Stainless Lines (not sure if FCP has these)

Good luck and have fun!
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | SS Headers | Rouge Exhaust| APEX ARC-8 | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage | Solid Motor/Trans/Shifter/SubFrame | Poly Bushings | Race Camber Plates/Arms | CSF Rad/Oil | BW Brake Ducts | Braille Battery | AC/EGR Delete | 3,100lbs
1991 SW20 MR2 Turbo | Widebody | 400WHP/355TRQ | 2017 Audi Q7 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T
Gone: 2014 Audi A6 | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
eggman51
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Awesome advice - should have asked earlier!

It turns out the notification that ECS sent me a couple of days ago was an error - they have since fixed it and the order will ship out today. I *did* buy ECS in house manufactured rotors - perhaps that was a mistake, but I will live and learn (again - shoulda asked here first).

I will also look at FCP more in the future, their site seems usable and selection and prices seem very good.

Great to know about the HPS 5.0 pads and track usage - I had wondered about this. I will do some research on pads so I understand what I am getting into - thank you for the pointers. I have 4 days in a row as my first track session of the year (and ever in this car), so I was planning to bring a set of pads just in case. Seems like it's a must.

Seems like I need to get used to changing brake pads (or pig squealing).

Also good to know about Motul 600 - glad you are recommending a DOT 4 fluid, seems better for mixed street and track usage versus a DOT 5 fluid?

I am putting stainless lines on.

What are "brass sliders" ?

Is it these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...003326ecs01~a/

...if so, I did purchase both axles worth of bushings and will have the caliper bushings replaced.

THANKS AGAIN!

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0