ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
ez4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0L

Help with my Aux in and Satellite Radio

Hi Guys,
I am brand new to BMW's, having just purchased a 2006 z4 3.0L. I had an aftermarket Sirius Edge Radio installed which plugs into the aux adapter. The only trouble is after playing for a few moments, the "aux" disappears as an option on the radio and Satellite Radio sound cuts out (The Satellite Radio is still on) and the radio returns to playing either a CD or regular radio. (I also have an aftermarket GPS hard wired into the car in case this information helps.) Does anyone know why I'm having this problem and how it could be fixed. I don't know whether to take the car to the place that installed the aftermarket Satellite Radio or back to a dealer. Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

To determine if the aux jack is a problem, why not plug in an MP3 player (Ipod, Iphone etc.) and see if it has the same symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
ez4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0L

Reply to testing Aux suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion. I tested the aux input with my apple iPod and it works fine, so I don't think the problem is with that. I tested the Sirius satellite Edge at home on a home dock and it works fine there, so I'm assuming the problem has to be with the install wiring (?) in the Z4... Any thoughts on this anyone? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

the reason this is dooing that is i bet you have it pluged into the cig lighter thing!

for some reason BMW has a ..... well i dont know what you call it but the sterio senses the power from the cig AUX power and shuts the system down.

the unit will stay on but the AUX sterio wont play, MINI is the same way.

nothing is wrong with your BMW or your satalite radio its technically working by design.......

i would see if you can buy a OEM satalite radio unit and fit that to keep things clean if you can.

"BMW in my opinion have done a stupid thing and used a resistor to 'detect' that the Aux lead is in (not the lead you see but the one behind the dash) there are also a couple of capacitors on the cable and when you ground the iphone this causes the issues. What may work which I intend putting in line behind the dash is a ground loop isolator"

As a fix in the meantime this unit can fix the issue and can be bought at radio shack.

the unit will stay on but the sterio wont play, MINI is the same way.

their is a way around it but i forgot as its been a while.

nothing is wrong with your BMW or your satalite radio its technically working by design.......

i would see if you can buy a OEM satalite radio unit and fit that to keep things clean if you can.

otherwise do a search and it will tell you how to bypass the system and get around the PITA issue...

Last edited by -c-; 05-07-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

old post but you do you have any pics of your install?
Appreciate 0