ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Need help: What does this electrical connector plug to? Next to Airbag Control Module

Hello all, I have taken on the task of replacing my SIM/Airbag Control Module, and upon taking apart the center console, I found a connector that is just dangling there. It is the white connector shown in the pics.

To clarify, these are the three connections you see when pulling up your coin tray, behind the emergency brake, in between the seats underneath the console:

The yellow powers the airbag control module
The black powers the SIM module (I believe)
But I am unsure what the white connector plugs in to?

Does anyone know for sure? Or know where I can look this up definitively? I have a hunch my Airbag light on for code: "93DB - SIM: Control Module: Undefined Status" might have to do with this loose white connector. Or perhaps it has nothing to do with it.

Thanks in advance!

Pics below:

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Hi

I read over your info and I believe you have the later E89 Z4. This forum is for the 2003 thru 2008 e85/e86 Z4 which is the older model. However, maybe someone here has both the E85 & a E89 and will be able to answer your posting.

However, if you don't get anything, I'd repost to the e89 forum.

Hope things work out.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is a 2003 Z4. I sold my e89 a few years back and haven’t updated the profile.

That being said, anyone have any idea?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

nfi, mine had it too, however, your yellow plug with braided black cables doesnt look anything like mine either.. it looks like the same plug thats connected to the hazzard light switch.

i am also 100 % certain i didnt have that black sim wire/plug youve got? whats SIM?
      01-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Older BMWs made in the early 2000s have single wiring harnesses that have plugs for other accessories and functions not included in the car. For example, my old 2003 Z4 3.0i has the wiring harness present for the UGDO and auto dimming mirror even though the UGDO functionality wasn’t present. Same goes for stuff like CD Changers and Bluetooth or BMW Assist modules. It’s not uncommon to find wirings and plugs that aren’t plugged into anything in the earlier Z4.

On 2006 and later they changed the way wiring looms are packaged. Later BMWs and Z4s have harnesses that are more specific to the way the car is equipped and packaged. For example, the 2006 Z4 M Coupe I currently have does not have existing wires and loom for the UGDO and auto dimming mirror present because it does not have the premium package.

Some of the plugs might be for functions and package(s) your car is not equipped with, like power or memory seats or heated seats.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
nfi, mine had it too, however, your yellow plug with braided black cables doesnt look anything like mine either.. it looks like the same plug thats connected to the hazzard light switch.

i am also 100 % certain i didnt have that black sim wire/plug youve got? whats SIM?
SIM = Safety Information Module. The yellow plug is the fiber optics cable connection used for 2003 Z4's to connect the airbag control module. Apparently in 2004+ Z4's, this connection was changed. The black connection connects to the SIM module. Turns out, I replaced the entire airbag control module (which includes the SIM module connection), and that fixed the issue of my airbag light on for code 93DB. Which, ironically, 93DB is supposed to be related to the passenger seat. In my case, it had nothing to do with it. Weird, since I spent lots of time/effort on fixing parts in the passenger seat the last couple months, only to find out it was a waste of time for a completely different issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Older BMWs made in the early 2000s have single wiring harnesses that have plugs for other accessories and functions not included in the car. For example, my old 2003 Z4 3.0i has the wiring harness present for the UGDO and auto dimming mirror even though the UGDO functionality wasn’t present. Same goes for stuff like CD Changers and Bluetooth or BMW Assist modules. It’s not uncommon to find wirings and plugs that aren’t plugged into anything in the earlier Z4.

On 2006 and later they changed the way wiring looms are packaged. Later BMWs and Z4s have harnesses that are more specific to the way the car is equipped and packaged. For example, the 2006 Z4 M Coupe I currently have does not have existing wires and loom for the UGDO and auto dimming mirror present because it does not have the premium package.

Some of the plugs might be for functions and package(s) your car is not equipped with, like power or memory seats or heated seats.
I believe you are correct, in that this white connection was likely for a CD changer sometimes installed above the rear storage compartment, or for a BMW Assist module on the rear faceplate of the storage compartment cover.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

The cd player/changer is powered from the back loom, so possibly for the BMW assist thing.