ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Sallyz4
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0 Si

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [7.00]
Soft top wont go back up :(

Hey all, once again I am having a problem with my 06 3.0si Z4. I live in NYC and just tonight me and my girl went to manhattan for some ice cream, and of course put the top down because the weather is finally nice. Sure as shit I get back in the car, and the top doesn't go back up!
I looked in the owners manual and of course that was useless and where it shows how to manually bring the soft top up in case of an emergency, just doesn't work for some reason, and no I am not retarded it just doesn't work. Would anyone know if the dealership would cover this? My car is under the CPO warranty until next year, and I was reading the CPO warranty and it says that the convertible top (all components except electronics) is not covered. Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone know if it would be an electrical issue? I am going to raise hell when I call the dealership tomorrow, and If they tell me it is not covered I am going to put someone in the hospital because the car has 36,500 miles on it. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
enzo 240
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0

i also have a similar problem, very rarely the top will be down i'll get some where and it wont go back up however if i get out and pull on it a bit then the motor will start working, i know this is old but im trying to get to the source of the problem on my car as well
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
ljs
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I have the same issue but when I'm trying to open the top. The windows go down and I can hear the motor going and until I push up on the left side it opens (like it needs the extra push to open).

I'm not sure if needs grease or the motor is losing power. I currently have 32000 miles on it and it just started doing this.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyz4 View Post
Hey all, once again I am having a problem with my 06 3.0si Z4. I live in NYC and just tonight me and my girl went to manhattan for some ice cream, and of course put the top down because the weather is finally nice. Sure as shit I get back in the car, and the top doesn't go back up!
I looked in the owners manual and of course that was useless and where it shows how to manually bring the soft top up in case of an emergency, just doesn't work for some reason, and no I am not retarded it just doesn't work. Would anyone know if the dealership would cover this? My car is under the CPO warranty until next year, and I was reading the CPO warranty and it says that the convertible top (all components except electronics) is not covered. Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone know if it would be an electrical issue? I am going to raise hell when I call the dealership tomorrow, and If they tell me it is not covered I am going to put someone in the hospital because the car has 36,500 miles on it. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Are you serious? stop wasting youre time and come down to my shop...we can fix that nonsense....the shop i go to can fiz ANYTHING. Ill PM you
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
ledd4u
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Just removed my top completely and I ordered the motor because everyone said its a bad motor. Well my motor was fine it was just very low on hydraulic fluid. Added fluid and it started working perfectly What a pain in the rear to remove the top.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
If your motor was low on fluid, then you have a leak somewhere.

You better find that leak or you will be doing this again...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
ledd4u
Rep

Actually thanks to you for writing the procedure it worked out fine. I found no leaks anywhere. I looked at the cylinders, gears all dry. Kind of worried at first since maybe the left or right hinge assembly might have had a leak but I did not find anything. My motor was sealed and dry. Kind of confused but it works. The only thing that might leak are the hinges those are $400.00 each.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
You said you have a 2003, and the motor was in like new condition. I wonder if the old motor was replaced but the installer let too much hydraulic fluid leak out during the installation of the new motor.

Just make sure you seal up the housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
ledd4u
Rep

It had a warning sticker from I believe the same manufacturer of the motor that said " Warranty void if seal broken". Clean inside no water present anywhere. It looked like it was removed before but don't know when. I tested the system outside with a portable battery and some wiring I designed for it. Cycled it a couple of times and looked for leaks. I also cycled it to the mid position to see if it would fall back indicating hydraulic loss of pressure. Nothing. Consider myself lucky but now I have a spare motor?
Appreciate 0