ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

upsizing 265 to 275

Hello folks
will upsizing of 235/35 -> 245/35 and 265/30 -> 275/30 give me a big comfort difference on 19" rims? my current setup feels like too stiff
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Murf993
Captain
Murf993's Avatar
3340
Rep
892
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'm no expert but I don't think you'll notice the difference going to a wider tire. I had 19" on my Z4MC and those side walls are pretty short. I think if you want to soften the ride you'd probably have to go to an 18" rim, or softer suspension components.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I'm no expert but I don't think you'll notice the difference going to a wider tire. I had 19" on my Z4MC and those side walls are pretty short. I think if you want to soften the ride you'd probably have to go to an 18" rim, or softer suspension components.
its not about comfort only, I have my 10" rims and 265 looks odd on them, thats another reason for upsizing
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Murf993
Captain
Murf993's Avatar
3340
Rep
892
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72 View Post
its not about comfort only, I have my 10" rims and 265 looks odd on them, thats another reason for upsizing
So it sounds like it's not about comfort at all and about how the wider tires would look on your rims. I can't comment directly on that without seeing what you've got.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/c...rim-size-chart
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
AK72106.00

      04-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
maupineda
Lieutenant
United_States
68
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4MC
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72 View Post
Hello folks
will upsizing of 235/35 -> 245/35 and 265/30 -> 275/30 give me a big comfort difference on 19" rims? my current setup feels like too stiff
you will only gain 3mm on tire sidewall height, not much TBH, but it may help. is best if you go for high-end tires, like MPS4S or F1 Asymmetric 3/5.

I learned my lesson too late as I had bought my tires already, I went back to OE sizes and went with a tire that is too stiff on the sidewall, so the change from the 19s to the 18s was not significant in my case even when I added a significant amount of sidewall height.

I was running Falken on the 19s and Now Potenza S007A, which is a good tire and much better to the budget Falken subjectively, but stiffer. On the upside it makes the car feel more direct.

Whatever you do, go with a good tire even if you need to budget up
Appreciate 1
AK72106.00

      04-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So it sounds like it's not about comfort at all and about how the wider tires would look on your rims. I can't comment directly on that without seeing what you've got.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/c...rim-size-chart
please take a look at https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...2#post26001462
post #2050 my rear tires are too small for my rims but I got this way and now trying to fix it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
Murf993
Captain
Murf993's Avatar
3340
Rep
892
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72 View Post
please take a look at https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...2#post26001462
post #2050 my rear tires are too small for my rims but I got this way and now trying to fix it
They do look too narrow for those rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
XMetal's Avatar
United_States
623
Rep
2,454
Posts

Drives: Anything
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2008 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
2004 X5  [3.50]
OP, are you running 10" wide wheels on all 4 corners? If so, that 235 or even 245 are still too narrow for the 10" wheel.

The rear, especially looked stretched in your post. I don't remember 275 on a 10" wide wheel being that stretched, so may be going to 275 will help a bit. As "maupineda" indicated, tire is a factor too - not all 265/30 have the same treadwidth. Some have more squarish shoulders than others. I think 285/30/19 is best on a 10" wide wheel. Even my 275/30/19 Conti's on 9.5" wide wheel have a tiny bit stretch, which I think can be fixed going to MPS4s
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:06 AM   #9
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
OP, are you running 10" wide wheels on all 4 corners? If so, that 235 or even 245 are still too narrow for the 10" wheel.

The rear, especially looked stretched in your post. I don't remember 275 on a 10" wide wheel being that stretched, so may be going to 275 will help a bit. As "maupineda" indicated, tire is a factor too - not all 265/30 have the same treadwidth. Some have more squarish shoulders than others. I think 285/30/19 is best on a 10" wide wheel. Even my 275/30/19 Conti's on 9.5" wide wheel have a tiny bit stretch, which I think can be fixed going to MPS4s
M359s are 9" fronts 10" rear
I don't think that I can fit 285 in my car

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
Murf993
Captain
Murf993's Avatar
3340
Rep
892
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Unless of course you're going for the "stretched tire" look, I hear some folks love it.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Unless of course you're going for the "stretched tire" look, I hear some folks love it.
they not as bad as you think
Appreciate 1
Murf9933339.50

      04-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #12
maupineda
Lieutenant
United_States
68
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: E86 Z4MC
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

iTrader: (3)

I think this is also because of tire design. Tires with wider shoulder design won’t look as stretch. 265 seems to not be uncommon with 10in wheels
Appreciate 1
AK72106.00

      04-21-2020, 12:19 AM   #13
Cyclops
Major
Cyclops's Avatar
Canada
1135
Rep
1,398
Posts

Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Milton

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72 View Post
please take a look at https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...2#post26001462
post #2050 my rear tires are too small for my rims but I got this way and now trying to fix it
Esthetically I think your biggest issue is the wheel gap. Also, a different brand of tire will have different sidewalls design, so running a 275 Continental, Michelin, Dunlop, Falcon, Etc will all yield different results as some are more square. What is the offset on the rear?

I'm running a 275/30 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 on a 19x10 ET 38 with a 15m space. I rub the outside face of the tire under really hard compression (on track only) so going down to a 12 or 10mm spacer will possibly fix the outside rub on this tire but not sure if I'll rub on the inside.

PS I have a set of H&R coilovers I used for about 10k km if interested.

Name:  DSC00533-LR-INSTA.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  2.14 MB
Name:  APK02232-LR-INSTA.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.70 MB
__________________
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning - Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Maybe you can guys suggest me narrowest 285 30 19 tires by brand model?

Last edited by AK72; 04-22-2020 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
dbarton62
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
513
Rep
1,912
Posts

Drives: 04ZR 3.0 6 speed VF SC
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

iTrader: (2)

AK click on any tire and hit specs on the next page.
Compare the section width and the measured rim width, it tells the story of the theoretical bulge in a particular tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17
__________________
Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, 2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.64LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.ST coils,Koni Yellows. Megan camber arms. Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by dbarton62; 04-22-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #16
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
AK click on any tire and hit specs on the next page.
Compare the section width and the measured rim width, it tells the story of the theoretical bulge in a particular tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17
Thanks David I will take a look
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #17
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Esthetically I think your biggest issue is the wheel gap. Also, a different brand of tire will have different sidewalls design, so running a 275 Continental, Michelin, Dunlop, Falcon, Etc will all yield different results as some are more square. What is the offset on the rear?

I'm running a 275/30 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 on a 19x10 ET 38 with a 15m space. I rub the outside face of the tire under really hard compression (on track only) so going down to a 12 or 10mm spacer will possibly fix the outside rub on this tire but not sure if I'll rub on the inside.

PS I have a set of H&R coilovers I used for about 10k km if interested.

Attachment 2290504
Attachment 2290505

M359 wheels specs
Front Wheels - 19x9" ET31
Rear Wheels - 19x10" ET25
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #18
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I guess nobody tried before but I have successfully Installed 285 30 19 Indy 500 on my rear wheels with no Issues



Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #19
HBC
Registered
Canada
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4M
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Too hot outside today to do anything outside so I'm looking at what mods I want to do on my Z4MR and it seems that on both the exhaust and rim/tire threads, you have done exactly what I want to do. Where did you buy your rims or did they come with the car when you purchased it? Looks real nice btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #20
AK72
Second Lieutenant
AK72's Avatar
Canada
106
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 m Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC View Post
Too hot outside today to do anything outside so I'm looking at what mods I want to do on my Z4MR and it seems that on both the exhaust and rim/tire threads, you have done exactly what I want to do. Where did you buy your rims or did they come with the car when you purchased it? Looks real nice btw.

I purchased them from local guy, BMW OE M359s hard to get and they pricey so I would suggest you to go with avant garde rims
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST