ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #23
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Wavetrac isn't perfect either!

Smh
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Beating a dead horse here, but looking for some additional advice.

I'm on the 3.0si setup: Open 3.64 rear diff, stock rear/front sways, BC coilovers at 29front/25rear (30=full stiff) with 504front/672rear springs, -3fr/-2rear camber.

Car feels neutral and balance so far everywhere on the track, except I am spinning the inside-rear at corner exit for almost every turn. This has forced me to cruise and wait until perfectly straight before getting on the power. I can count on my fingers the seconds I lose per lap - sad.

I know the solution is an LSD, but before going there, any other things I can do to try to increase rear-inside-tire-grip on corner exit? I've read about removing the rear sway bar, but also hear it is not good for high speed corners or high speed stability.

It's been frustrating since I have all this torque but can use it.
Is the track you go bumpy or F1 kind of track?
If it's not F1 track, I wouldn't recommend removing rear bar. It really upsets the car mid corner when you hit uneven surface.
First your Reb comp settings are too extreme. It's not good to be close to the max or min.
Sorry did you have aero? If not, I would lower rear spring rates first
If yes, add front spring rates.

If you don't want to change springs try lowering rear compression

Another option would be adding front sway bar. I had same problems as you.
So I matched front and rear spring rates, and added a front bar.
I think you've read my thread with my experience.

I would definitely not play with diff at this moment. Try getting your suspension right
      07-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

oh you have a 2j in your car.....that makes things more complicated lol
      07-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Yes, I have that syndrome haha. No aero, but am upgrading to bigger front sway bar (which is adjustable) and Quaife LSD. I'll work my way from there, take everyone's advice and experiment!

The tracks I visit are generally very smooth through the corners and straights, except if I ride the curbs.
      07-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Update:

I know you all love updates, right?

First event this past weekend on the LSD (Quaife). Here is what I learned:
- I used to be able to rotate the car mid-turn with a tad amount of throttle. No can do. That tiny bit of throttle now pushes the car straight, forcing me to add more steering. Have to get used to that.
- No real difference in corner entry noticed (yet).
- Corner exit, no more 1 wheel spin!

And, as it is with these things, my first ever oversteer spin off into the grass

I was experimenting on that corner, every lap, on how much earlier I can get on the gas. Found the limit, and it's about the same as when I had open LSD. Only difference is instead of one wheel spinning and going straight, both wheels spin and I lose control.

I would have tried to correct but on this track at night, no lights in this section, once my headlights pointed off-pavement, I had no idea where I was! The moment the back got loose, I countersteered, felt the car slide, then change directions where I just hit the brakes, and went along for the ride, staring at pitch dark.

I was humbled afterwards. I seriously also thought those M3s that spin out at every HPDE are inexperience drivers... PFFFT. That thought is now erased from memory. I'm glad I got to experience an off on the track, and gained my confidence back on the next session.

My instructor let me go solo that run, but I told him I was going to experiment. It's what HPDEs are for, right?

Now, next step is to play with suspension and see if I can reduce exit-oversteer, or at least make it more controllable. I'm not yet ready to remove the rear bar, for reasons... but will go from 19mm to 18mm I have laying around here, and 2-3 notches softer on springs. This track has 110+mph long turn (Nascar Tri-Oval) and I need that rear stable.