ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

2010 Z4 Custom paint

Not painting a car but using the Zed to paint with. Hope it was water base paint LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Pretty cool video but a from long time ago

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
Pretty cool video but a from long time ago
DOH!!! I thought that might happen but I just caught it today looking for custom painted Zeds.

I was a bodyman years ago and still do some custom work from time to time. The Z4 I bought needs a new clear coat and I really wasn't wanting another black car but the price was right being at BB trade in value so I couldn't resist. Now I have a good excuse to make it the way I want it.

I'm thinking HOK Kandy Brandywine over orion silver or galaxy grey, Kandy Kobalt blue over orion silver or galaxy grey, HOK Razberry pearl over black, HOK Lazuli Blue pearl over black, Aquarious kameleon pearl over black , Glade green pearl over black or ??? Something deep and rich in a red, blue or green and then changing the top to beige.

Would like to break out the airbrush too but not sure if I want to go 1 color, mild ghost graphics or wild like true fire and skulls on a harley.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Were you joking pmmjarrett? Maybe I should say that I am hoping that you were joking.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Were you joking pmmjarrett? Maybe I should say that I am hoping that you were joking.
LOL Depends on what you think I'm joking about.

Repaint and color change is going to happen, and it will be done right with disassembly and painting the inside panels too so when you open the doors or trunk you can't tell it was repainted. Really leaning towards the Kandy Brandywine on a darker base than the silver most people use, I've always loved that color. A medium - dark blue, medium - dark green or a black cherry look are other choices I'm seriously considering. I do want a touch of pearl to make it pop but not a true flip flop color change. It'll have flake but not big flake.

Mostly going for a classy look with a deep rich color with the mile deep wet shine.

No worries.... I'll leave the airbrush alone and no big flake that will make it look like a Bass boat LOL........

My brother wouldn't let me do that to his Custom built Kawasaki 750 2 stroke triple he spent a few years building either. He wanted something similar to the original Kawasaki lime green candy but wanted it to look more like liquid antifreeze with a wet look and make it pop a bit with pearl but not completely flip flop like a chamelion color.

Put down a black sealer, a pure gold base, PPG Indy green candy and put a touch of green/gold pearl in the first couple coats of clear. His bike is kind of what I'm going for. Something that looks great and a touch different than most but not overdone.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

I've personally never been much of a fan of red Z4's, especially in convertible form. The Brandywine over Galaxy Grey is a really nice dark cherry red though.

My favorites from the HOK Kandy line is the Oriental Blue. I haven't seen it on a full panel, but the Oreintal Blue over Stratto blue or Lapis blue looks really nice in the books. A fair amount of color flop going from a fairly bright blue to an almost black navy blue.

If you wanted a simpler repaint, wet sand down the clear and put something like the Lazuli Blue pearl (DP21) directly over your current black. Gives a real nice subtle blue to black shift. Blueberry pearl (DP42) over black also looks really good (at least in the book, haven't seen a panel done with it)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
I've personally never been much of a fan of red Z4's, especially in convertible form. The Brandywine over Galaxy Grey is a really nice dark cherry red though.

My favorites from the HOK Kandy line is the Oriental Blue. I haven't seen it on a full panel, but the Oreintal Blue over Stratto blue or Lapis blue looks really nice in the books. A fair amount of color flop going from a fairly bright blue to an almost black navy blue.

If you wanted a simpler repaint, wet sand down the clear and put something like the Lazuli Blue pearl (DP21) directly over your current black. Gives a real nice subtle blue to black shift. Blueberry pearl (DP42) over black also looks really good (at least in the book, haven't seen a panel done with it)

You make a very good point to go the pearl route vs the Kandy.

My base black looks like it's good and the car only has one small door ding that can be removed with PDR. It's mostly my clear that's fubar and how I was able to haggle this car to the price I wanted. Looks like the PO parked outside and never washed bugs or birdchit off it and the acids ate into the clear in several spots, especially the hood.

I could get away with just a pearl over the original black base with mabey some minor touch up if any. It would be a simple and inexpensive way to go as I already have everything I need in the shop leftover from my last job other than some pearl flake.

Pearl flake runs from about $25 for 2 ounces of dry pearl to $365 for 2 ounces of Kameleon and there are a lot of the dry pearl colors I like over black.

If I kept it simple with something like the Blueberry, Razberry, Lazuli blue, Bluegrass, Lilac or Glade green dry pearl, the paint job would only cost me about $100 - $200, a little electricity and a weeks worth of my time.

Would be slightly easier to match than a Kandy too when things go OOPS! A lot of the pearls look great over black.
Appreciate 0