ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Tampa Z4 M Roadster
Looking for a Z4 M Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35

Exclamation Looking to buy a Z4MR

Hi All. I would like to welcome myself to the forum.

I am currently driving a Infiniti G35 6MT

I am looking for a roadster with more power.

The Z4 M is the answer.

I have a few questions..

1. are there problems that I should be aware of?

2. What are some of the cost to maintain the Z4M?

3. I have never had a BMW so this will be my first!

4. I am used to driving Lexus's and Infiniti's so are the cost much more to maintain the car? I just drive them and Change the oil, brakes, etc. I do all of the labor myself.

5. will this car be hard to work on?

6. What MPG are you guys getting... Best, Worst, Average

7. What does the RPM read at 60, 70, and 80 MPH?

Thanks so much guys!

DJ
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
PM'd U

DJ: Check your PM.
Do a search on this and other Z4 forums and you'll find many answers to your many questions. Just be careful who you believe :-)

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C / Z4 3.0si

Welcome to the forum, I'd be willing to bet its no more than your Infinity. I had a Lexus IS250 and a MINI Cooper S that I modded to hell. Prices aren't exactly cheap, but they aren't outrageous if you do the work yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Tampa Z4 M Roadster
Looking for a Z4 M Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35

Thanks for having me... I have been searching for the Mroadster and Can't find one! This might be a problem!
Black 2006 G35 Sedan 6MT w/ Aero Package - Shark Fin - 19 inch Rims off the Coupe - JWT Pop Charger - Z Tube - 350z HR Y Pipe - Coupe Mid Pipe - Black Side Markers - 15% tint all the way around - Polk Audio DB1000 Tweeters - Royal Purple 5w-30 Synthetic - And a 170lb Fat Man! :gotme
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
sirmalloc
code monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster Imola/Imola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Z4 M Roadster View Post
Thanks for having me... I have been searching for the Mroadster and Can't find one! This might be a problem!
When I was looking around the Tampa area I only managed to find 9 or so in all of FL that fit my criteria. I ended up driving to Jacksonville to pick mine up from an Acura dealer. You might check AutoTrader and CarMax. CarMax always seemed to have a couple that were a little overpriced, but if they don't have it local, you can always have it shipped.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
RV8tor
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i Titanium/Black

Try going to www.bmwusa.com and click 'certified pre-owned' then 'model search'. From that screen click 'roadster' and 'm models'. Fill in your Zip and set it to 500 miles. you will find 8-10 M Roadsters.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
z3toz4
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Be a little careful about "certified" with BMW. I just bought one, less than 2 months ago, from a BMW Dealer in Texas. Mine has not provided the piece of mind that should come with the extra price you pay for a certified BMW. Issues I have had in the past 42 days......first, they replaced the entire rear suspension and then last week they replaced the lifters, cylinder head and gaskets. What I have learned is, apparently some dealers look the car over better than others. FYI - They do not do alignments as part of the certification. After I brought the car home, it felt a little out of alignment, but not much. Decided to take it in right away to get an alignment, that is when they found the suspension problems because the car would not go into spec. First they tried to say that wasn't covered, then they agreed to fix it, BMW USA had to get involved. Then the engine "tick" began. They tried bleeding the lifters and other things, only to finally replace the cylinder head and lifters. Good luck on your search and look it over REALLY good.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

z3toz4, you should be easily able to return the car and search for another one if you wish to. Just get BMWNA involed. BMWNA has a buy-back program and you could specifically ask them about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
RV8tor
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i Titanium/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3toz4 View Post
Be a little careful about "certified" with BMW. I just bought one, less than 2 months ago, from a BMW Dealer in Texas. Mine has not provided the piece of mind that should come with the extra price you pay for a certified BMW. Issues I have had in the past 42 days......first, they replaced the entire rear suspension and then last week they replaced the lifters, cylinder head and gaskets. What I have learned is, apparently some dealers look the car over better than others. FYI - They do not do alignments as part of the certification. After I brought the car home, it felt a little out of alignment, but not much. Decided to take it in right away to get an alignment, that is when they found the suspension problems because the car would not go into spec. First they tried to say that wasn't covered, then they agreed to fix it, BMW USA had to get involved. Then the engine "tick" began. They tried bleeding the lifters and other things, only to finally replace the cylinder head and lifters. Good luck on your search and look it over REALLY good.
If you bought from Fred's Used Car Sales, How much would the repair have cost? At least with CPO it should have been covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

I had a '05 G35 coupe 6MT for 3 years.

If the Z4M still has warranty left, maintenance is free and you get a free annual oil change. Maintenance warranty also includes free brake/rotor replacements.

Over the period of 3 years, my G35 coupe averaged about 0.8mpg better than my Z4M. In my Z4M, on long trips I can get 27~29mpg on the freeway at about 60~65MPH. I get 21.5~22.5mpg in my daily commute (about 75% freeway with a little stop and go). Even when I drive it aggresively it never seems to go under 19mpg. Maybe I don't drive it hard enough.

At 60mph in 6th gear, the G35's at about 2100RPM; the Z4M is at about 2300RPM.

This might sound stupid, but the Z4M has souls. The G35 coupe served me well as a daily driver, but it was just another car. Boring, heavy, and no souls.
Appreciate 0