ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Problem with Dice instll in 2005 Z4

2005 Z4, single play CD. When I set out to do the install, it seemed like it was going to be so easy. But, noooo. The biggest and probably only problem is to get the 3 and 6 pin connectors out from under the console box. As far as I can tell, the two wires I need are under the console box and are weged in very tightly. I have undone the torque bolts in the box with hopes of being able to lift the box from the trunk and get the wires out. Box hardly moved and wires are held tightly fast under the box. Will I have to remove the whole center console to get the wires out? I hope not as this is a real PITA (did it when I installed the interior motion sensor for the alarm system). Here's a picture of where I'm at just to see if I am doing the right things: Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what this is: Within the battery well and between the battery and the rear bumper (that is, in front of the battery) is a black rectangular box. What is it?

Last edited by Flycaster; 01-01-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
2005 Z4, single play CD. When I set out to do the install, it seemed like it was going to be so easy. But, noooo. The biggest and probably only problem is to get the 3 and 6 pin connectors out from under the console box. As far as I can tell, the two wires I need are under the console box and are weged in very tightly. I have undone the torque bolts in the box with hopes of being able to lift the box from the trunk and get the wires out. Box hardly moved and wires are held tightly fast under the box. Will I have to remove the whole center console to get the wires out? I hope not as this is a real PITA (did it when I installed the interior motion sensor for the alarm system). Here's a picture of where I'm at just to see if I am doing the right things: Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what this is: Within the battery well and between the battery and the rear bumper (that is, in front of the battery) is a black rectangular box. What is it?
It's the Hi-Fi radio amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Thanks, caseysc. Still can't get the box to move, any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Thanks, caseysc. Still can't get the box to move, any ideas.
Suggest you remove the console from within the cockpit. The instructions are on page 6 of the attached pdf. Obviously, you will not need to pull the whole thing apart, but you get the picture.

Let us know how far you had to go to get the connectors free. Some pics of this evolution would be nice if you have the time and equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z4 Alarm Installation Guide.pdf (475.1 KB, 676 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

This is what I really didn't want to do. When I first got the car, I DIY'd a BMW full alarm system that entailed taking out the center console to get behind the gear shift to install the motion detector. Was PITA I didn't want to do again, but I'm afraid that I might have to.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
This is what I really didn't want to do. When I first got the car, I DIY'd a BMW full alarm system that entailed taking out the center console to get behind the gear shift to install the motion detector. Was PITA I didn't want to do again, but I'm afraid that I might have to.
Yes, I see now that I re-read your OP. Sorry to disappoint. Good luck with the DICE install!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
SystemR
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Boxster, formerly 05 Z4

here's what i did:
loosen the two torx screws in the center console (under the rubber stoppers) then pry up the center console with a flat head screw driver. gives you just enough clearance to get the cables out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemR View Post
here's what i did:
loosen the two torx screws in the center console (under the rubber stoppers) then pry up the center console with a flat head screw driver. gives you just enough clearance to get the cables out.
I did the same thing, but the console box won't budge more than a 1/4" and pulling on the wires did nothing to move them....ugh!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
SystemR
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Boxster, formerly 05 Z4

Quote:
I did the same thing, but the console box won't budge more than a 1/4" and pulling on the wires did nothing to move them....ugh!
i think i also rotated the cables so that the "heads" were parallel to the edge of the console. it takes some time to get them out but you can do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

In my case, it's like the box is jamming the cable against the firewall. I don't think I can even rotate the cables. Also, even if I could, how does one know that the connector heads are parallel to the edge...unless you are able to see them. And, BTW, I can't lookl down to see the space between the box and the edge because the cord that releases a locked console prevents me from moving the "carpeting" away from the firewall enough to get me head in position to see down.

EDIT: Caseysc, I'm starting to get to my wit's end with this project. But before I follow the instructions on removing the box, will the whole box actually be removed? Although I did this 3 years ago, I can't remember if the whole box comes out. Looking at page 7, next to last diagram, it is ahrd to tell if a shell or the whole box comes out.

Last edited by Flycaster; 01-03-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0