ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Another " Dice cry for help" thread

I just installed my Dice Duo and Sirius tuner in my Z4. I installed everything just like the manual states, but for some reason I can't get the thing to initialze properly. When I call up the Dice via the mode button, then cycle through the "Dice Duo" options (iPod, Aux, Sirius) it will stay on Sirius for about 5 seconds, then jump to Aux. I don't have anything connected to Aux. When it is on Sirius, I think it also says searching "sch" in smaller case. I've tried disconnecting the Duo completely and the battery, then reconnecting the Duo then the battery, same thing happens. I'm stumped. Do I have a bad Dice or Sirius module, or is this thing that tempermental, and I'm doing something wrong? Any ideas? I have both the 6 pin and 3 pin connectors in my car (2007 M Roadster with Nav), and verified with other members here that the DSP adaptor is not needed. Also, according to the Dice manual, I have the DIP switches set for 16:9 Navigation Radio, which is the left switch down (on) and the right switch up (off).

One other thing, my Sirius account is new, and I did the "send activation signal" thing to the unit, but since it isn't working, I don't think Sirius is talking to my receiver yet. Sirius says I will get the "Sirius Preview Channel", # 184 if the Dice was working properly, regardless if I'm activated. Is the "non-activation" causing the Dice to jump off of "Sirius Mode" to "Aux Mode"? You guys have warned these things are temperamental, but I'm baffled at this point. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

John
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Have you got an iPOD that you can try with the Duo to see if it will work with that?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Have you got an iPOD that you can try with the Duo to see if it will work with that?
Unfortunately no. BSW finally got back with me and they are sending me out a new Duo, as all the trouble shooting and hard re-set still leave it not recognizing the Sirius module. We are pretty sure it's a faulty Duo. I'll keep everyone posted when I do the swap. Here's hoping that fixes things.

John
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update on performance

The replacement Duo and Sirius tuner are working (thanks BSW) and the sound is fine (typical Sirius lower bitrate stuff, but that's a debate for another thread ) , but I have another issue(s) that I've confirmed many experience from time to time. The text from the display when in Sirius mode, will stay on the screen sometimes when I switch the unit to CD mode........ never happens when I cycle through AUX and FM (FM shows the station info and song, etc.). Sometimes this "hanging text", as I call it, is there, other times not. Another weird phenominon, sometimes when I cycle through the "mode options" (BMW, not DUO modes), it skips the CD player as a choice, I cycle through again to get it to show up. Last one, sometimes (not always), the on/off knob doesn't work, I have to repeat it to turn things off, and sometimes when the text from a Sirius station is hanging on the screen when I've switched to CD mode, pressing the on/off knob will remove the "hanging text" and not turn things off. Others of you have these symptoms? I can cycle through things and make it work fine, just curious about others experience. At this point I'm chalking it up to the tempermental quirkiness of the Duo product. Thanks.

John
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Display of text information from the Duo is not very consistent. Yeah, I'd say it's "quirky" alright!

Glad to hear you got it sussed out. Now, back to your regularly scheduled tunes!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Display of text information from the Duo is not very consistent. Yeah, I'd say it's "quirky" alright!

Glad to hear you got it sussed out. Now, back to your regularly scheduled tunes!
LOL, at least you guys have confirmed it's not me, it's like this for all using the product Now if we could just get Sirius to up the bit rate and send out a higher quality signal, that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Hey antennahead...

I just installed mine in my new M roadster. I have it working just fine but am hearing hum between tracks. This is with the engine off and I have both the module and all cables in the trunk. I never had this in my old 3.0i with Business CD but this car is the Navi as yours is and I have the DIP switches the same as you indicated. I also am thinking the sound quality is not as good as it was in my 3.0i but that may either be because of the hum or just my imagination.

Do you hear any hum between tracks?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Hey antennahead...

I just installed mine in my new M roadster. I have it working just fine but am hearing hum between tracks. This is with the engine off and I have both the module and all cables in the trunk. I never had this in my old 3.0i with Business CD but this car is the Navi as yours is and I have the DIP switches the same as you indicated. I also am thinking the sound quality is not as good as it was in my 3.0i but that may either be because of the hum or just my imagination.

Do you hear any hum between tracks?
No, the replacement set BSW sent out worked great, no hum at all. Sounds like there is a short in one of the cables possibly if it is humming with the engine off. Frustrating for sure.
Appreciate 0