ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

Driver's Education

This past weekend I participated in my first HPDE. I will do it again someday. I did learn that I will never take M Coupe on the track again. When you tack a car it needs to be a disposable car. A 30,000+ car is not disposable. I am buying a 1996 E36 M3 coupe to be my new track car.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=bLjM9Fc1JrM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=YWxY881Xo_o

I never did pass anyone but, I was passed by everyone. I was working on technic. I watched many track events. It is a lot harder than I ever thought.

One of the hardest things for me to learn is toe & heel.

I suggest everyone try it at least once!
      08-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

IMO if you trust your car, you'll be fine.

If you get afraid, and second guess your actions. You'll get in trouble.

I'm glad you had fun, and came back with a car in 1 piece. No doubt about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I know lots of people here track their cars and I think that's great but I'm with you. I love my M and want to have it around for many, many years. To me, it's nearly irreplaceable as I have it set up. Yes, I know it could get totaled next time I pull it out of the garage but for me it's a combination of "anything can happen on track" and also the accelerated wear during true high performance driving. I've also toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated track/autocross car because I love doing both. Recently I've decided that my ZHP will become that vehicle as soon as my wife is ready for an new daily. Fingers crossed that happens soon. :-)

Edit: I know someone will say that it is replaceable. Although I do have some rare parts, more what I mean is that I wouldn't want to go to the trouble and expense and most likely wouldn't.

Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 08-26-2013 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I share the sentiment of risk of loss, but... no other BMW drives like the Z4M. Just mind your skill level and drive within it. ANY speed on the track is more fun than street driving. I couldn't give a damn if people pass me. (but my planned coilovers and tires should fix that next year )

But yeah, if I could afford it, I'd do a twin-turbo RX-7 FD.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urluz3n View Post
This past weekend I participated in my first HPDE. I will do it again someday. I did learn that I will never take M Coupe on the track again. When you tack a car it needs to be a disposable car. A 30,000+ car is not disposable. I am buying a 1996 E36 M3 coupe to be my new track car.

I never did pass anyone but, I was passed by everyone. I was working on technic. I watched many track events. It is a lot harder than I ever thought.

My track car is not disposable and neither will your e36. I am not talking money. If it gets wrecked, then it gets wrecked but not to be confused with disposable.

Also, I don't know who was your instructor was, or if you had one, but I would have parked your car if I knew you were working on heel and toe for the first 8 months of driving. The foundation is very important to learn, so you don't end up with a car that makes people think it was disposable.

Btw, I have friends that are crazy fast and have never ever spun there car.......... To date.

The roads scare me more than racing on the track. Also, when you drive reguarly with a race group, you get to know the drivers around you on the track. The newbies you stay away from.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

I should add that you need to check with your insurance provider to see if they cover HPDE or any other type of high speed driving under your policy.

I'm covered for autocross, and HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
wonton180
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

OP, good for you for giving it a try. I too did my first HPDE event earlier this month. I had the same feelings about the level of risk with my baby. I think I had more fear than fun, but everyone says you get more comfortable with a little practice.

the speed (and passing) will come with some more track time, knowing the line. I'd stay away from heel/toe until you're really at comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urluz3n View Post

HPDE insurance... I just picked it up this year after I started putting down decent times.
      08-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I should add that you need to check with your insurance provider to see if they cover HPDE or any other type of high speed driving under your policy.

I'm covered for autocross, and HPDE.
Do you have more of a specialty insurer that also provides this? Or is it one of the big well known insurers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
HPDE insurance... I just picked it up this year after I started putting down decent times.
Agree, great peace of mind no matter where you get it from. I added aftermarket hpde Insurance when I went. And will again this year unless I discover what kgolf mentions above. That'd be awesome.
      08-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Do you have more of a specialty insurer that also provides this? Or is it one of the big well known insurers?
Farmers.

Called and asked, specifically about autocross and HPDE.

My agent let me know, as long as it isn't wheel to wheel racing I'm covered. I guess this covers timed trials as well? Dunno.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Farmers.

Called and asked, specifically about autocross and HPDE.

My agent let me know, as long as it isn't wheel to wheel racing I'm covered. I guess this covers timed trials as well? Dunno.
That's a huge bonus. I'm calling mine to ask as well. I just assumed there was no chance hpde or auto -x would be covered under current policy.
      08-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Becareful about asking and believing them. They can say whatever but what is really important is what is written in your policy. Read it and make sure you understand it before relying on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32
Becareful about asking and believing them. They can say whatever but what is really important is what is written in your policy. Read it and make sure you understand it before relying on it.
My dad has had the same agent (I'm under the family insurance with my own separate policy that covers my 2 cars alone) since I've known. very straight forward, and has helped us get the best insurance rates possible. I'll check the written policy but his work is golden because its never been anything but the truth from him
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32
My dad has had the same agent (I'm under the family insurance with my own separate policy that covers my 2 cars alone) since I've known. very straight forward, and has helped us get the best insurance rates possible. I'll check the written policy but his work is golden because its never been anything but the truth from him
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

its tricky. To wreck a Z4m at a track would be heartbreaking. Only driving the same car at 7/10ths max, on the street, is equally a waste of money