ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Will this E46 Wavetrac LSD fit into a BMW Z4M?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...0#post25303250

I am liking the idea of a 4.10 gear ratio

Last edited by eggman51; 10-01-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...0#post25303250

I am liking the idea of a 4.10 gear ratio
I didn't see E46 mentioned anywhere in that thread. How do you know it's off an E46?
      10-02-2019, 01:51 AM   #3
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Um... good point! I posted into the thread over these to check. I assumed that it was from an E46 cuz so much stuff in that forum is.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Um... good point! I posted into the thread over these to check. I assumed that it was from an E46 cuz so much stuff in that forum is.

Thanks for pointing that out.
FWIW m3post is mostly e9x content. Also I’d personally take the factory M variable diff over a Torsen based for track duty, unless you really think 4.10s will help for your road courses you frequent...
      10-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

D'oh yeah... I realize I confused that site with a different marketplace site which is predominantly E46 stuff. Thanks for pointing it out.

WRT the type of diff and the final drive ratio, these would seem to be totally independent.

Are you saying that the M diff is better than a Quaife or Wavetrac style diff for track use?

WRT the drive ratio, on all the tracks I have run I never use 1st, rarely use 2nd, and have never needed 6th. One of those tracks - Area 27 - has a very long straight that leads me to believe that pretty much any track I am going to run at would benefit from a 4.10 drive ratio.

Effectively on a track day, I have a 4 spd box from 2nd thru 5th.

It seems like a 4.10 drive ratio would make it into a 4 spd box from 3rd to 6th, but allow much greater acceleration out of corners. Not to mention rarely needing the 2nd gear downshift which is the worst shift in this transmission imo.

Cheers and thanks for all your patience and wisdom!

Eamonn
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
D'oh yeah... I realize I confused that site with a different marketplace site which is predominantly E46 stuff. Thanks for pointing it out.

WRT the type of diff and the final drive ratio, these would seem to be totally independent.

Are you saying that the M diff is better than a Quaife or Wavetrac style diff for track use?

WRT the drive ratio, on all the tracks I have run I never use 1st, rarely use 2nd, and have never needed 6th. One of those tracks - Area 27 - has a very long straight that leads me to believe that pretty much any track I am going to run at would benefit from a 4.10 drive ratio.

Effectively on a track day, I have a 4 spd box from 2nd thru 5th.

It seems like a 4.10 drive ratio would make it into a 4 spd box from 3rd to 6th, but allow much greater acceleration out of corners. Not to mention rarely needing the 2nd gear downshift which is the worst shift in this transmission imo.

Cheers and thanks for all your patience and wisdom!

Eamonn
Yes they're independent, which is why I was saying I personally wouldn't care for (or pay up for) a Wavetrac unless I wanted 4.10s that badly (and it was being sold as a package). But I guess its personal preference, and you're the one buying so what do you find compelling about the Wavetrac? Or were you indifferent and more focused on getting 4.10s?

In any case, safe to say none of us really use 1st or 6th on a road course neither but I don't see why that means shorter gearing is the answer. Not saying that it isn't but that statement alone of not using 1st and 6th doesn't say much.

I don't want to come off as someone lecturing so I won't tell you how to spend your money. But I would just do more research on gearing and look at your data (e.g. shift points, tire sizing, etc) to see if it'll actually result in shorter lap times. You may find yourself bouncing off the rev limiter more and needing to short shift to 5th only to find yourself in hard braking moments later on certain corners.

People here knock the 3.91 saying it's not all that much different than 4.10s and so you may as well go for that extra jolt of torque but most times those folks are talking about for everyday use. On a road course, I'm not sure if 4.10s is the obvious choice over 3.91....
      10-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #7
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think the Quaife and Wavetrac are interesting designs from what little curiosity / engineering knowledge I have. Was mostly interested in the 4.10; a chance to get them at a reasonable price with interesting diff tech seemed attractive.

Regards the 3.91 vs 4.10, I would need to think on that - mostly going from the perspective of folks posting here raving about 4.10s.

It's appealing to me to use 3rd to 6th rather than 2nd to 5th - I think the shift down to 2nd is grindy, not matter how much I work on the heel toe rev matching. I assume being in the 3rd to 6th gears of the box would be the change as a result of a 4.10 final drive ratio.

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0