ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Evolve Tune in progress

Currently loading my "new" tune from Evolve automotive (http://www.evolveautomotive.com/). When I bought the car, Marin included the Evolve tune adapter (they are car specific), but I hadn't gotten around to re-doing the tune. After my exhaust mods, I related the info to Evolve, and they sent me the updated tune file. They guys at Evolve seemed great to work with and happy to help.

Hope to take it for a spin at lunch and see what difference it makes! Anyone else have this done? Experience?
Attached Images

05-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Do you have an update?

I'm interested in this, but the reviews were mixed from the group-buy a few years ago as to whether there are performance gains or it just feels faster with better throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Yeah, there is not going to be a definitive answer without a dyno involved. I don't really have a horse in this race as the unit came with the car, so this is pretty objective feedback.

I will tell you that it feels like a mid-point between having the "sport" button on and off. Not quite a twitchy as sport mode, but more twitchy. Certainly more throttle response. Seems to have more "pep" in the 3k rpm range than before. I don't know that any of this translates to more horsepower, or just new response curve on the accelerator. Even if I was getting a full 15hp, that is less than a 5% difference. My "butt" dyno says maybe. a little more "go" at earlier RPM's...

The Jury is still out for me. Feels like I'm going to have to install RE tranny mounts now to compensate. Almost feels like I'm back to stock engine mounts. It is certainly a bit less drivable now.

Now, that said, the Original Owner (OO?) had Fabspeed headers on it. He worked extensively with Evolve on his tune. They went back and forth at least 4 times to really nail it. He said it was a SIGNIFICANT improvement for him, and I can understand. A header change is absolutely something that needs to be corrected for in a tune. All I have is a cat-back system with a "stage 1" tune. I filled out a survey of what mods were on the car, what octane i was going to run, and if I wanted the rev/speed limiters removed and they sent me a file.

So, time will tell. Will I keep the slight perceived increase in power in trade for the drivability? Will RE mounts make things right? Will Hillary be our next President? All will be revealed...

Anyone else will a longer-term experience with Evolve (or other) tunes?
      05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Also very interested to hear.. I have a BNIB Evolve-R cable + tune purchased for my E46 M3 that was never used. I'd like to have them do a tune on my ESS roadster but unsure if I should mess with anyone but ESS.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Thanks for the review. Think I'll put this mod a little further down my want list.

I read it can take a while for the car to adapt to the new map, so let us know how it feels in 500 miles time.
Appreciate 0