ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
ShelbyMcoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 07 Shelby GT500

did the stealer mess up my car?

Yesterday I took my M coupe to Bob Smith in calabasas. It is not where I usually take it but in needed an oil change and they could get me in that day. I had a clunk in my front right suspension, as well as the infamous 1st to 2nd grind, which was verified (With me in the car) but still not fixed by my other dealer. I figured i might as well let them know because I remembered some one from this forum got a new trans from them. I told my SA that it would grind on aggressive shifting above 7k. She couldn't believe that I shifted so high. I told her, thats why I bought the car. As she arrogantly smirked at me like I was an idiot and didn't know how to drive my car. I didnt want to leave my car there for the whole weekend so i told her to take care of the oil change and look at the suspension and we would worry about the trans problem later. So i left and picked up my car later that afternoon. She said they drove my car and they couldn't find a shifting problem. On my reciept it said " constumer states grinding when shifting at 7500- 8000..." Then it said " test drove customers car and shifted at 8k 3 times and could not verify costumers concern. Note shifting at 8k can greatly reduce the life of the clutch." Exactly what i wanted right, some idiot mechanic, who doesnt even know my car is an m coupe and not an m roadster redlining my car with out me in it.

After I got my car i went 10 miles straight home, and to dinner later last night, which was about 15 miles from my house. Everything felt fine, until I went over a small speed bump going to my buddies house after dinner. there was a loud clunk and i scraped, but i never scrape on that bump. and i was going very slow. It felt like something came down and went back up. there is nothing visibly under the car. but there is a lot of vibration, loss of power and a bad noise. The whole problem seems to go away when in reverse. only drove the car around his complex to try to determine what the problem was. But there definitely is a problem in 1st and 2nd. i left the car there and now have to get it towed back to the dealership. It really doesnt feel like an exhaust leak but I am not sure. Only hours away fromt he dealership, I feel like it has to be something to do with them. i really hate taking my car there.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Truly an idiot SA. I wouldn't go back there. For a problem like a grinding 2nd gear, you really need to insist on taking them on a test drive and demonstrating it for them. If they insist on driving and experiencing it, still drive first and show them and get their agreement that they experienced what you did. If you don't go through that little dance, you're highly likely to get the dreaded "no problem found" or "normal operation" kind of response on your work order when you return.

How does shifting at high RPM reduce clutch life? I'd like to hear that one explained. And it's not like you said you were doing anything outside of the car's specs. Redline is 8k for cryin' out loud, and you were talking about shifting above 7k. Perhaps you could have left out the term "agressive", that probably put her on edge right away.

No idea about your problem after the fact, but I'd take it elsewhere to have it diagnosed and wouldn't go back to Bob Smith ever in the future. Good luck.
      08-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Ugh...just make sure you give them a poor review when BMW NA customer service gives you a call.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Ugh...just make sure you give them a poor review when BMW NA customer service gives you a call.

08-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Kevin... do you ever type anything or does your whole existence revolve around stupid pictures?

edit: Take the car somewhere else. If the SA is dumb enough to think people buy M cars to look good then she is an idiot.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Kevin... do you ever type anything or does your whole existence revolve around stupid pictures?

edit: Take the car somewhere else. If the SA is dumb enough to think people buy M cars to look good then she is an idiot.
But hawk...

Most importantly... is she a young, good looking idiot?
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I don't understand some people. The second an SA said something like that I would have immediately asked for someone else. Why the hell would you let someone like that be in charge of your car?

If the SA is not an enthusiast you should not let them touch your car or assign a tech to it.
      08-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
ShelbyMcoupe
United_States
Rep

You are completely right, I really shoudnt have. But that is exactly why i told her not to worry about the trans problem and just change the oil. i figured thwy could get the oil change right. In any case, the car was to a different dealer and i will find out tom. exactly what happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hopefully they put the correct oil in there for an M and not the regular stuff used on the more plebian BMWs. It wouldn't be the first time a dealer used the wrong oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #10
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Interesting question from a guy with an avatar like yours.
      08-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
ShelbyMcoupe
United_States
Rep

So turns out my motor mount broke. lovely. 25 miles after a tech drove my car. Since my car has this new "note" that I shift so high, they are fixing it our of "goodwill" and if it happens again it will be my responsibility. I am pretty sure i can kiss ever getting my new trans good bye. The strange thing is, is there is another guy in there with an m (not sure if its a roadster or coupe) with the same broken motor mount. And they said he has the same note on his record as I do. Is this Motor mount thing a known issue? Anyway just kinda venting. As the pic above clearly shows, i got owned, real bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyMcoupe View Post
So turns out my motor mount broke. lovely. 25 miles after a tech drove my car. Since my car has this new "note" that I shift so high, they are fixing it our of "goodwill" and if it happens again it will be my responsibility. I am pretty sure i can kiss ever getting my new trans good bye. The strange thing is, is there is another guy in there with an m (not sure if its a roadster or coupe) with the same broken motor mount. And they said he has the same note on his record as I do. Is this Motor mount thing a known issue? Anyway just kinda venting. As the pic above clearly shows, i got owned, real bad.
You need to call bmw NA and raise hell RIGHT NOW (by that I mean politely explain the situation and explain that you are VERY dissatisfied with the service and the way you are being treated as if its your fault.)

Why do you people except this shit from dealers? It is NOT BMWs policy to ring you around for "shifting at high RPMs" ESPECIALLY Ms (rod bearing discluded lol)
      08-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
There have been several reports of broken motor mount bolts on the Z4M's in the various Z forums; do a bit of a search on them and you will probably find what you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #14
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
There have been several reports of broken motor mount bolts on the Z4M's in the various Z forums; do a bit of a search on them and you will probably find what you need.
Yeah...it seems to be a common thing for Ms. I think it's one of the bolts on the passenger side that shears off.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
rcube
Private
Rep
Drives: z4mc

just wondering... how fast are you moving the stick from 1 to 2 when shifting at high rpms?
Appreciate 0