ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Savagegeese reviews the Z4MC

My favorite YouTube reviewer takes on the Z4MC.. this is fun...

05-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

I just watched it and now I really miss my Z4M.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MC, '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Eventually! I've been waiting for this review for so long...

PS: I see you left a comment there already
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Literally drove my E90 before watching this. Great review, it highlights everything we cherish about this era of BMW. It saddens me that it will never return. We are relegated to maintaining these old cars.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

By far the most accurate and honest review on the M coupe Ive ever seen. Believe me I watched them all before I pulled the trigger three years ago.. My car is also Sapphire but Imola interior, carbon leather and luckily no nav. Thanks for posting!
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #6
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
By far the most accurate and honest review on the M coupe Ive ever seen. Believe me I watched them all before I pulled the trigger three years ago.. My car is also Sapphire but Imola interior, carbon leather and luckily no nav. Thanks for posting!
I was actually quite surprised about how much Mark was excited in this review. And it feels like he missed (or likely didn't want to mention) all negative points
There were no his usual sarcasm in this video at all. And he was talking and driving the car himself while he offloaded these tasks to Jack in most other reviews.

PS: Turbowski was mentioning Z4M few years ago in some of their FRS videos saying how good these cars were and I've been waiting for Savagegeese to review it since then. It took so long...

Last edited by vt100; 05-31-2020 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I love my 993 but this does make me miss the Z4MC. One of my favourite cars ever and I'd still have it if not for the move to the Porsche. Great review, thanks for posting.
Appreciate 2
SLC80182.50
      05-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Literally drove my E90 before watching this. Great review, it highlights everything we cherish about this era of BMW. It saddens me that it will never return. We are relegated to maintaining these old cars.

And we do it gladly!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      05-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

I have to laugh at the comment of the owner wanting to quickly "move up" to P Car ownership. I say this as far from biased.....I'm a longtime PCA member and only very recently sold my 997 (still have a Cayenne S).

My Z4MC equals my driving enjoyment to my 997 step for step. I truly mean that and really never thought I would say that, because I consider myself "a Porsche guy" much more than a BMW guy. The car is just that good. The M96/97 engines in the 996/7 cars is good but it's not special, and is actually pretty maligned and massively overshadowed by the Metzger cars.

Obviously not so in the ZM's where you have a jewel of an engine. Also, butt dyno to butt dyno the 997 didn't feel significantly faster and that car had a lot of FVD products to help.

That's not to say I didn't love my 997, it was fantastic, and I could bring my wife and my 5 year old along. But the Z4MC is easily one of my fav cars ever and I've owned many in the $30-65k range.

Seeing these cars in the mid $20k's to low $30's, I think it's now one of the best sports car bargains you can get.....if you like driving and not bench racing.
Appreciate 4
Rekla105.00
wdb4718.00
pyshin110.50
      05-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #10
Kazansky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:

Excellent review, thank you for posting. One of if not the best for the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
I have to laugh at the comment of the owner wanting to quickly "move up" to P Car ownership. I say this as far from biased.....I'm a longtime PCA member and only very recently sold my 997 (still have a Cayenne S).

My Z4MC equals my driving enjoyment to my 997 step for step. I truly mean that and really never thought I would say that, because I consider myself "a Porsche guy" much more than a BMW guy. The car is just that good. The M96/97 engines in the 996/7 cars is good but it's not special, and is actually pretty maligned and massively overshadowed by the Metzger cars.

Obviously not so in the ZM's where you have a jewel of an engine. Also, butt dyno to butt dyno the 997 didn't feel significantly faster and that car had a lot of FVD products to help.

That's not to say I didn't love my 997, it was fantastic, and I could bring my wife and my 5 year old along. But the Z4MC is easily one of my fav cars ever and I've owned many in the $30-65k range.

Seeing these cars in the mid $20k's to low $30's, I think it's now one of the best sports car bargains you can get.....if you like driving and not bench racing.
Which 997? 997.2 GTS and Turbo are sweet
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:

Which 997? 997.2 GTS and Turbo are sweet
Just a .1 S, though it was a full Vision Motorsports build by the previous owner who spent way more than I would have. FVD Brombacher everything including tune etc. Some really cool Porsche Exclusive options as well.

I've come from turbo cars previously and the older I get the less I care about outright power and have a preference towards NA cars at this point. Though I continue to casually look at 996 turbo cars as a killer year'round daily.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Good video overall, B-roll at the beginning was great, they really stepped it up.

I do agree on a few things, such as the car being a little bit too quiet in bone stock form.

As an owner of both the E92 M3 and Z4MR, I don't quite understand his complaints about the M3. I don't think it was ever designed to be a sports car, nor does it pretend to be one. But it's a car you could easily use every single day. The Z4M, on the other hand, was designed as a sports car. That's why it's caught me so off guard when I bought my Roadster. I was really just looking for something with a drop top, and try out the S54. Never thought it would be so good, especially for under $20k.

Unfortunately, we live in a day where cars have to do everything. They have to be fast, engaging, good looking, quiet, fuel efficient, safe, high tech and be fast on the Nurburgring all at the same time.

Quote:

That's really cool to hear that. Porsche has always been a brand that I've looked up to and would love to own one sometime. However, after spending the last few months on Rennlist, I'm just not sure I'd enjoy the cars as much as I think I would when you start considering how much more expensive these cars are compared to what I have, along with the maintenance/repair costs.

I know you've got to pay to play, but would I really have 5x more fun in a GT3 than my Z4M Roadster on a mountain road? I'm not so sure.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Mtxzptlk871.00
      06-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

He's not wrong.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:49 AM   #15
vt100
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I know you've got to pay to play, but would I really have 5x more fun in a GT3 than my Z4M Roadster on a mountain road? I'm not so sure.
Likely slightly more fun for (you know how much) more money Also I'd be scared to drive such an expensive car fast enough to enjoy it to the same level as my Z

For another Porsches, I cannot speak of 997 or newer cars but I drove 996 and 987 right before trying Z for the first time. They are really nice cars but they don't even come close to Z. Surely 996 will be faster in track (assuming the same driver) but emotion-wise - nope, I didn't experience anything close enough to what I felt in Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Good video overall, B-roll at the beginning was great, they really stepped it up.

I do agree on a few things, such as the car being a little bit too quiet in bone stock form.

As an owner of both the E92 M3 and Z4MR, I don't quite understand his complaints about the M3. I don't think it was ever designed to be a sports car, nor does it pretend to be one. But it's a car you could easily use every single day. The Z4M, on the other hand, was designed as a sports car. That's why it's caught me so off guard when I bought my Roadster. I was really just looking for something with a drop top, and try out the S54. Never thought it would be so good, especially for under $20k.

Unfortunately, we live in a day where cars have to do everything. They have to be fast, engaging, good looking, quiet, fuel efficient, safe, high tech and be fast on the Nurburgring all at the same time.

Quote:

That's really cool to hear that. Porsche has always been a brand that I've looked up to and would love to own one sometime. However, after spending the last few months on Rennlist, I'm just not sure I'd enjoy the cars as much as I think I would when you start considering how much more expensive these cars are compared to what I have, along with the maintenance/repair costs.

Just looked at your current collection and, wow, you have taste!

I just sold a pretty rare Daytona Violet with Dove Vaders E36 M3. Such a cool car (sold it to a good friend which is good and bad....because I see it all the time....and it hurts).

I OFTEN debate the GT3 purchase. Like, weekly. Like a poster above said, I don't think I would drive one so freely and that's what I love about my Z and cheaper sports cars like this.

Even my Exige S gets treated way too "carefully" and that's only a $50k car. This is the sweet spot for me and I get more actual driving enjoyment from my Z than I do most (all?) others I've owned. I'll stop gushing....
Appreciate 2
XMetal1131.00
W///7485.00
      06-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I bought my current (2nd) Z4MC from a guy in metro Philly who was selling it to make room for a GT3. He was clearly reluctant to sell, calling the Z4MC one of his all-time favorite cars. He advertised it for sale here at zpost - then nowhere else, and when I found it, the ad was 3 weeks old and buried 3 pages deep. After getting the thing home and going through all the service records more closely than when I closed the deal, I come to figure out he'd only driven it about 500 miles in a year and a half of ownership.

Speaking of GT3's, I had a gent approach me at a gas station a while back, complimenting my car and asking a few questions about it, though he clearly knew the car and some basic info about their history. After he walked away I looked back to see what he was driving - a GT3. Took it as a high compliment that he approached me to talk about the Z.
      06-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #18
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I bought my current (2nd) Z4MC from a guy in metro Philly who was selling it to make room for a GT3. He was clearly reluctant to sell, calling the Z4MC one of his all-time favorite cars. He advertised it for sale here at zpost - then nowhere else, and when I found it, the ad was 3 weeks old and buried 3 pages deep. After getting the thing home and going through all the service records more closely than when I closed the deal, I come to figure out he'd only driven it about 500 miles in a year and a half of ownership.
Same thing for me. The guy I bought my Z4MC from kept bouncing between Z4MCs and 911s every year. He preferred the driving experience of the Z4, but his wife liked the amenities of a 911 better. If I decide to sell mine, he'll have first dibs. But I'm not planning to sell my coupe, I'm having too much fun with it! I'm thinking next up will be a bigger garage (hopefully with an attached house) so I can expand the collection.