ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Issues with GROM BT

I have a Z4M with Nav and a GROM bluetooth audio unit. I'm having a couple issues with it that I was hoping someone could help me address.

The first is the audio quality. The sound over bluetooth is pretty bad and sounds highly bitcrushed/compressed. Almost like basic FM radio. Also there is an extreme amount of bass, and that's coming from someone who likes more-than-usual bass when listening to music. I had to adjust it down quite a bit with the EQ.

The other issue is that I'm unable to fold the screen or use any function of it when listening to bluetooth with the GROM unit. I just keeps switching back to the CD screen with the title of the song being played written at the top. Is there any way to correct this? I would prefer if I could fold away the screen while driving.

On a side note, I've also noticed that the stereo gets incredibly loud on the freeway. Like every time I get up to speed I have to turn the volume down because the auto speed-adjusting vol function is way too agressive. Is there a way to turn this down or turn it off?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

That is a known issue and to fix it you need to open the GROM unit and install a jumper cap at the location in the image. When you do this, you lose the current song title display on the navigation (shows Track 1 as the title)

The distorted sound issue I notice when I max out the bluetooth volume on my phone. Try lowering it and use volume knobs on radio instead.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Coi288.50
      08-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed_fan View Post
That is a known issue and to fix it you need to open the GROM unit and install a jumper cap at the location in the image. When you do this, you lose the current song title display on the navigation (shows Track 1 as the title)

The distorted sound issue I notice when I max out the bluetooth volume on my phone. Try lowering it and use volume knobs on radio instead.
Thank you for the response! I'm presuming it's a standard 2.54 mm jumper cap so I'll do that this weekend. Will be nice to be able to drive with the screen folded away while listening to my music.

I'll also try not maxing out the volume on my phone. The thought process was that if my phone volume is max'd then the amp in the car doesn't have to work as hard, but that was really just a guess. I suppose the loud sound from the phone could be clipping the BT unit somehow; seems like a design issue but that's fine.
Appreciate 0