ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Exclamation GB PENDING!: The ULTIMATE Strut Bar Solution: Mason Engineering - POSSIBLE GROUP BUY!

NOW PENDING! DETAILS ON PAGE 3, WILL START THREAD IN CLASSIFIEDS WHEN DETAILS SORTED!

GB CLOSED! SEE POST 55 ON PAGE 3 -> http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1314022&page=3

I've been looking for a strut bar for my Z4M roadster for a while now. OEM is okay, but it has joints. Mechunik looks beefy, but has even more joints. Strong Strut seem to be the winner with no pivoting joints, however I don't much mind for the 'erector set' aesthetics, personally.

Enter, Rogue "Racebrace"

The Rogue Racebrace looked awesome! I remember when it was listed on their site, telling myself I would purchase one ASAP. I never got that chance, they discontinued the brace and took it off their site for the Z4 application. This was THE most beautiful strut tower bar for our cars and THE most functional, yet is no longer available. That is, until I discovered Mason Engineering.

Exit Rogue, enter, Mason Engineering:

You may notice this piece looks oddly familiar to the more well-known Rogue Racebrace. This style strut bar was originally designed and manufactured by Mason Engineering.

Here are some photos of crfine88 's Racebrace as it gives an exact idea of what the Mason braces look like. If you haven't already, be sure to check out his AMAZING build thread here -> http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303735 All credit goes to him on these pics! (Chris, please shoot me a PM if you'd rather I don't use your photos, I'll remove them immediately or can host elsewhere!)

The BEST part? The Mason Engineering brace is STILL AVAILABLE! The downside? The price. Mason charges $455 for the steel version of this bar (and a whopping $510 for the aluminum version). A tad more than the Strong Strut, but not too far off really...

This got me thinking - I know this is the strut bar I want to run and I'm sure other Z4M owners would see the benefit to this bar over the others. I contacted Mason engineering and as a starting point was able to secure a 10% discount if we can get together 5 more participants in the Group Buy (6 total, including me). Who knows, I may be able to chop that price down if we have enough participants.

So, is anyone interested?

This isn't yet an official group by but please only list interested if you realistically will put the cash up for this. I've run numerous successful group buys on other forums in the past but I know the Z4M market is relatively small and somewhat inactive. Still, I think there is a group of M owners who take pride in knowing they put high quality, highly functional parts on their car and this is the type of person I imagine would be interested in a group buy as such.

THE GOOD STUFF:
  • $455 - 10% DISCOUNT = $409.50! This is virtually the same price as the popular "Strong Strut" bar but superior in most ways.
  • Single piece design - no joints or connections that can flex under pressure [i.e. every other strut bar on the market!].
  • Powdercoated Gloss Black for durability. Maybe we can get an exclusive color for the GB? Who knows, just assume gloss black
  • High grade steel, welded construction.
  • MADE IN THE USA! Mason is known to have manufactured parts & prototypes for leading companies - his parts ooze quality.
  • Strut tower bars help reinforce shock tower mounting points to help will prevent cracking and fatigue at the tophat. This seems more common for E46 but there are many documented cases on the E85/E86!
  • Strut tower bars noticeably increase the rigidity in the E85 platform, according to other ZPost members. I'm hoping to confirm this firsthand via this group buy
  • I am not making a red cent from this group buy. I enjoy contributing to the forums & other Z owners when I can and always appreciate when others do the same.

*Note:
I think Mason may request measurements/details of your strut towers to best ensure a proper fit. Still, single piece strut bars can be a little finicky to install. Please note this, professional install may be required. However, the payoff should be worth the effort!

THE GB INTEREST LIST:
1. tiltmode43 - Alum or Steel
2. wss4
3. Vanne
4. crfine88 - Aluminum
5. rockstar93
6. Frank851 - Alum or Steel
7. SyruSur
8. GPower - Aluminum
9. djdcyphr - Aluminum
10. Ryan13 - Aluminum
11. Michael9218 - Alum or Steel
12. Shutterspeed - Alum or Steel

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |

Last edited by tiltmode43; 12-21-2016 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
crfine88437.00
      10-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
wss4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Interested
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I love the bar - engineering-wise, very functional. BUT I don't think I want to R&R it every 25K miles or so on every valve adjustments (snapping one of those nut/bolt won't be fun, especially those on the firewall).

I think there should be more research done on why Rogue discontinued it in the first place - just my 2 cents.

Last edited by XMetal; 10-12-2016 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Just re-read the installation note
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Love that bar, interested
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Very cool, do they have approximate weight/weight savings for the aluminum compared to steel?
      10-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Very cool, do they have approximate weight/weight savings for the aluminum compared to steel?
WHS
Possible interest in the aluminum bar depending on weight difference
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wss4 View Post
Interested
Added to the serious interest list

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I love the bar - engineering-wise, very functional. BUT I don't think I want to R&R it every 25K miles or so on every valve adjustments (snapping one of those nut/bolt won't be fun, especially those on the firewall).

I think there should be more research done on why Rogue discontinued it in the first place - just my 2 cents.
Good point! I would be concerned, but it looks like Rogue is still manufacturing & selling their brace for the E46 M3 with the same design. If there were an inherent flaw, I'd imagine it would affect those, as well. If I had to guess, the reason they ceased production on the Z4M bars is that there are actually quite a few intricacies to considered to ensure a proper fit. Combine this with a low number of overall sales and mass production with varying tolerances and it's a recipe for a likely discontinued product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Love that bar, interested
I agree Vanne! Added to the serious interest list

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
WHS
Possible interest in the aluminum bar depending on weight difference
Mason lists the steel bar @ 6.0 lbs & aluminum bar @ 3.5 lbs. If you're interested I can see if he would accept orders for the alum with same discount as well, so long as we have min 6 orders in total. The more I think about it, the more I'd be tempted to go aluminum because it's not a large weight different but it is a little more exclusive and, err, ultimate. Go big or go home I suppose

Here is a link to the product page - can't believe I didn't include this -> http://www.masonengineering.net/Subpages/Z4.htm

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the update.

Edit:
Possible Interested in Aluminum if GB goes ahead

Last edited by inTgr8r; 10-18-2016 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal

I already snapped 3 times that bolt when I had e92 lol
I rly don't wanna mess around too much too. If anyone has oem and wants to sell it to get this, hit me up!
      10-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

FWIW, I have never had a problem with those bolts breaking using proper angle torque technique and NEW bolts.
...it is pretty scary cranking them up though.

BTW, if this goes through I will be selling my StrongStrut
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep

Is there any hard data as to whether or not a strut brace actually accomplishes anything worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

http://news.bimmerworld.com/is-a-strut-brace-worth-it/

A test measuring tower deflection with and without a front brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Is there any hard data as to whether or not a strut brace actually accomplishes anything worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #13
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

Add me for Aluminum Interest please.
If this works out, I will have my steel rogue bar up for sale
      10-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
FWIW, I have never had a problem with those bolts breaking using proper angle torque technique and NEW bolts.
...it is pretty scary cranking them up though.

BTW, if this goes through I will be selling my StrongStrut
Do you know weight of yours? Also depending on weight I'll be happy to buy from you
      10-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #15
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Dibs on your steel one Chris, perfect colour for my car ;D
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
RedOctober
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post

Actually, the test is ONLY without the brace.
It would have been great to have done WITH a brace.
But why choose a fully-caged race car?
Why not take a street car and then do the testing.
Whatever, wasn't my dime.
After reading that article, I'm going to be devoting $400 to other areas most likely.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
Actually, the test is ONLY without the brace.
It would have been great to have done WITH a brace.
But why choose a fully-caged race car?
Why not take a street car and then do the testing.
Whatever, wasn't my dime.
After reading that article, I'm going to be devoting $400 to other areas most likely.
Agree that is an interesting reference, but it doesn't answer the question in regard to the Z4M chassis - does the E86 show any benefit from a bar?

I'm sure some of the BMW chassis would benefit from adding a bar; just wondering if the Z4 coupe (already twice as torsionally stiff as the convertible) gains anything. Is a bar for that car benefit or just bling?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
RedOctober
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Agree that is an interesting reference, but it doesn't answer the question in regard to the Z4M chassis - does the E86 show any benefit from a bar?

I'm sure some of the BMW chassis would benefit from adding a bar; just wondering if the Z4 coupe (already twice as torsionally stiff as the convertible) gains anything. Is a bar for that car benefit or just bling?
Well, as noted in the article, super stiff cars whether with cage or specifically mentioned Z4MC, the bar is truly eye candy.
Based upon the article, if you're tracking the car, lots of track miles, then maybe some benefit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #19
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
Well, as noted in the article, super stiff cars whether with cage or specifically mentioned Z4MC, the bar is truly eye candy.
Based upon the article, if you're tracking the car, lots of track miles, then maybe some benefit.
Hey guys, just some food for thought on why some of us are running these despite the already stiff chassis:
Mainly strut tower reinforcement. When pushing these cars to the limit & running stiffer spring rates, or strut towers are more susceptible to damage/cracking. The strut tower braces are a nice way to reinforce from the top without taking up space underneath.
      10-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^whs

one other consideration.....
In those tables linked, while the limited tower movement shown does not impact performance, that movement can cause metal fatigue over time.
Any product that potentially helps to alleviate that, ....I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 02:04 AM   #21
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr

Quote:
The real truth? I'll let you know once I get hands of one strut bar lol
I never thought of getting one because I always thought the z4m lacks in roll compared to m3s. And making the car stiffer, with a sway bar + strut bar could give me mass understeer and lack of grip.
I added hotchkis sway bar and I tried two options. First softest. Didn't feel a single difference from oem. Then I changed to medium, felt much much better. Definitely for me is a plus. A lot of people get the sway bar and says car feels sharper, which makes them conclude that sway bar is a good beneficial mod. Be careful with that conclusion. Sharper, more nimble, or stiffer, doesn't mean faster. Those things really really make you think you are driving faster and getting better laptimes, but they can be deceiving. for me a beneficial mod is something that helps me lower my laptime. When I had e92, I added front sway bar. Car felt so much better and so much easier to get the turn correct since car is sharper, but I felt the car lacked front grip in exchange to (damn my car turns so much better now!!). I then, removed my sway bar and went back to oem, and boom! Private best with oem. Car went back to being lazy, but had again more front grip to go faster on the turn. I took this advice once platteforme told me they don't run stiffer sway bar in their race cars. Therefore, took me a long time to get a front sway bar in my z4m because I had the same concept, but in the z4m, the sway bar was beneficial. It really helped me reduce my oversteer, thus making me push harder on fast corners, and mid corner understeer wasn't very noticeable, and my laptimes reduced.
So like the article says, it all depends on the car and the driver I think. What worked for me might not work for you, and what's beneficial for you, might not be beneficial to me.

What is beneficial to you? For some people, having car more nimble is already a plus mod. Others, can be laptimes and list goes on.

My reasons to get.
1- reinforcement
2- front sway bar proved me wrong and it was a good mod in my car, so might as well try a strut bar too.
3- looks good haha.
However, if I notice my laptimes are worsened, I will take it out.
Sooooo, please don't take me as I am the boss and I know what's good or not. I am just someone who wants to share my track experience of what worked and what didn't, but what worked for me doesn't necessarily means it will work for you.
      10-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

It's also not just /if/ the addition of the STB adds functionality, but I know for a fact that for me it adds confidence. And that confidence turns into a better, faster ride for me.
Appreciate 0