ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I have the most recent Nav CD, didn't know y'all were still looking for this. Let me know if you want me to try to strip it and post it somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The 2006 and 2010 maps have been so crappy, they're barely worth $10.
Maybe it's the firmware. We'll see how it does with the TomTom maps.
Here in SoCal, it has only the vaguest idea of what city you're in.
And when you punch in a destination city, it gives you 2 or more ambiguous choices.
If you pick the wrong one, it takes you to the wrong place.
I'm tired of it getting me lost.
I have 2011 and I've been led on wild goose chases at least half a dozen times.

I have to keep a close eye on it. For me, it will often accept my input (671 Main Street) and then realize it has no fking clue where it is, at which point it just makes a "recommendation". And by that, I mean it starts to route you but changes to addresses to something it DOES know (877 Main Street). No fanfare or nothing. Just sends you on your way and changes the address. I'll arrive at a random address, go back and compare it with my phone to realize I'm no where near it.

Then other times, it routes me to the correct address but the location is just off. Sometimes by half a block, sometimes multiple.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #25
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Yea, come to think of it, I had to set "home" by selecting "remember location" while sitting on my driveway.
If I put in my address, I thinks I live half a block up the street.
      02-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #26
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I like to look up the address on my phone then input the crossroads into the nav.
      02-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #27
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

I'm seeding.....

It's west and east 2014 maps. Took a few days to get it but I seed now on two connections.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #28
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
*edit
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:09 AM   #29
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
I like to look up the address on my phone then input the crossroads into the nav.
That's probably not a bad idea. It's (hopefully) much harder to screw up an intersection than an individual address.

Thanks, I might start doing this

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #30
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
*edit
I just use my phone period. $200 to upgrade maps is crazy. I barely used the Nav in 07 when the car was new. I remember going to homecoming in 08, plotting in the address to the hotel, and following 4 other z4's into a residential area only to turn around because we were "no longer on a digitized road" lol.

Id be tempted to rip out the Nav system if it wouldnt leave a giant whole in my dash... maybe I can put in a different screen to video mirroring my phone...

sorry for the off topic rant. good luck in your quest
      02-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #31
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post
I just use my phone period. $200 to upgrade maps is crazy. I barely used the Nav in 07 when the car was new. I remember going to homecoming in 08, plotting in the address to the hotel, and following 4 other z4's into a residential area only to turn around because we were "no longer on a digitized road" lol.

Id be tempted to rip out the Nav system if it wouldnt leave a giant whole in my dash... maybe I can put in a different screen to video mirroring my phone...

+1

And never mind the clunky interface that I literally have to re-learn every time I use it. Phone is WAY easier. and a cradle is a lot cheaper than the $200...
      02-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

I usually don't use the on board GPS to navigate but to see my position where I am and how to get a short cut what works pretty good.

Mediabridge and iPhone is way better to enter the destination.
Press the voice button on the steering and say where you want to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #33
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
+1

And never mind the clunky interface that I literally have to re-learn every time I use it. Phone is WAY easier. and a cradle is a lot cheaper than the $200...
Here's something better than the cradle and is half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Head-Up...ads+up+display

I've considered this a few times.

I enjoy having the screen for the GPS but since I can't be rolling and enter an address easily it's not worth it to me to even attempt using the GPS. Punch it into my phone in a fraction of the time it takes to use the dash one.

The screen just has a video input, that's all that makes it what it is but disconnecting it from the stereo could pose serious complications as you end up without anything displaying critical information and it would only show up on your dash. If you changed out the CD player then the screen would be freed up I would think but that's another expensive upgrade... well downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #34
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post

I refuse to pay $200 for a map update, three map providers later and same intersection is still totally wrong. But I'd never give up the nav. It's a zero effort map showing me where I am all the time. (I blame video games for getting me used to that) I miss the map when I'm in other cars. It indispensable when driving around a place like Seattle. And I think plugging in and mounting a GPS or a phone is a pain and ugly and with a phone it's harder to do other phone things with it, not to mention that's a great way to kill your phone battery.

Even on the few occasions when I've used it for directions it's worked well enough to give me an ETA and get me to the general area or to a close enough crossroads that I can figure out the rest or pull out my phone for a more user friendly map.

I like the screen in general too, someday I'd like to connect another video source up to it and use it to show temperature gauges and stuff.

Edit: and I haven't gotten that digitized road thing since about 3-4 map discs ago.

Last edited by psygnosis; 02-21-2014 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #35
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Just got my 2014 DVD.
It still thinks I'm in "Ontario, CA, Chino Hills", so that's a bad sign.
I'm sure TomTom knows that Ontario and Chino Hills are several miles apart, and don't even share a border.
Mater of fact, I think Navteq makes the maps for Garmin, and I know our Garmens know what city we're in.
So it's something in the way that the firmware interprets the maps.
Well, at least it only cost me $10, and with updated info, it can get me lost going to places that weren't even on the 2010 map.
      02-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #36
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Like it has you on the wrong road or just names the area incorrectly?
      02-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #37
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Quote:
Just got my 2014 DVD.
I'm sure TomTom knows that Ontario and Chino Hills are several miles apart, and don't even share a border.
Mater of fact, I think Navteq makes the maps for Garmin, and I know our Garmens know what city we're in.
Well, at least it only cost me $10, and with updated info, it can get me lost going to places that weren't even on the 2010 map.
Or could it be something that's lost in the copying process? Anyone with the oem 2014 discs like to interject here?
My 2008 system is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #38
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Just got my 2014 DVD.
I have the 2013 Genuine Map. If you want, you can PM me with your address...I can input that into my NAV to see if it says Ontario or Chino Hills.

Personally, I would pay a bit extra for a Genuine copy just so my DVD drive would last a tiny bit longer. I've tried the $50 bucks copied version and all I can hear is my DVD drive spinning hunting for data all the time...doesn't have this problem when I popped in the genuine map. Besides, the genuine will only cost about $100 if you split it with one of your east coast ZPOST buddies (or vice versa for east coast folks) Another thing is that if everyone keeps buying copies of the maps, BMW will stop making them if they "think" no one is buying them any more.

Last edited by XMetal; 02-24-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #39
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Did they always include 2 discs? My disc got damaged a while ago so I can't check, but I know I only have one disc and the one in the car includes the east coast. This worked fine for me but considering my car was originally sold in the SF bay area it's a little odd that I don't have the west coast disc

btw I'd be down to split/buy someone's eastern US disc for $100. Or a torrent, or whatever. I'm also not willing to give someone money to burn a copy
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #40
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
btw I'd be down to split/buy someone's eastern US disc for $100. Or a torrent, or whatever. I'm also not willing to give someone money to burn a copy
A torrent of the BMW North America 2014 HIGH dvds are out there if you search for it.
      02-24-2014, 12:24 AM   #41
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like it has you on the wrong road or just names the area incorrectly?
It has me in the wrong city, sorta.
It does "mash ups" with almost every city and town.
For instance:
Wife and I were going to look at some carpet. Carpet store is in San Dimas.
I enter San Dimas, and it comes back with:
San Dimas, Glendora
San Dimas, San Gabriel
Glendora is one town West from San Dimas. San Gabriel is the mountain range North of San Dimas. Maybe there's a town of the same name nestled up there.

So which do I choose? I picked San Dimas, Glendora, and "you've arrived at destination", but no carpet store.
So I pull over and try San Dimas, San Gabriel. "Proceed 3 miles", and bang, carpet store.

It always wants to put cities inside other cities, and since none of them make any sense, the choice is a crap shoot. If you pick the wrong "mash-up", it will put you on the correct street, but miles from the correct location.
The 2005 stock maps that came with the car, the 2010 from a torrent, and the 2014 from eBay all do the same.
      02-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #42
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
It has me in the wrong city, sorta.
It does "mash ups" with almost every city and town.
For instance:
Wife and I were going to look at some carpet. Carpet store is in San Dimas.
I enter San Dimas, and it comes back with:
San Dimas, Glendora
San Dimas, San Gabriel
Glendora is one town West from San Dimas. San Gabriel is the mountain range North of San Dimas. Maybe there's a town of the same name nestled up there.

So which do I choose? I picked San Dimas, Glendora, and "you've arrived at destination", but no carpet store.
So I pull over and try San Dimas, San Gabriel. "Proceed 3 miles", and bang, carpet store.

It always wants to put cities inside other cities, and since none of them make any sense, the choice is a crap shoot. If you pick the wrong "mash-up", it will put you on the correct street, but miles from the correct location.
The 2005 stock maps that came with the car, the 2010 from a torrent, and the 2014 from eBay all do the same.
Ahhhhh...Gotcha. For that same reason, I always try to use zip code search whenever possible as it will only pop up with 1 city...most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #43
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
Did they always include 2 discs? My disc got damaged a while ago so I can't check, but I know I only have one disc and the one in the car includes the east coast. This worked fine for me but considering my car was originally sold in the SF bay area it's a little odd that I don't have the west coast disc

The map that came with my car (2008) only had 1 disc, which covered the entire NA. But updates (not sure when it began) that I've seen came in 2 discs (east and west coasts).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #44
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
A torrent of the BMW North America 2014 HIGH dvds are out there if you search for it.
I saw one but it wasn't healthy - no seeders
Appreciate 0