ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
chewie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5

Help with my ID'ing my Z4 stock sound please

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, new to a Z4 and looking for some help. I bought a 2003 2.5 three weeks ago, and I need your help trying to identify what kind of sound system my car has, because I've been reading some posts and I learned that certain systems don't allow for a simple head unit swap due to different signals of different systems. If someone could help me out and let me know if I can do a simple swap or not, that would be great. The car is pretty much completely bare bones, no extra features except the auto soft top. I'm pretty sure it has no premium sound, because the car has nothing else; no nav, no leather seats, no sport package, etc. (It would've been nice to have all that stuff, but now I can truly work to mod and make the car "mine"!)

I have a basic 6 speaker setup (2 side speakers, 2 rear speakers, 2 subs). What type of signal is this, and does it allow me to swap out the deck to an aftermarket deck without having to get an aftermarket amp? Can I swap the stock subs or speakers out without much trouble?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

You can see this guide which is very useful: http://users.telenet.be/AcousticSolu...eb/carhifi.htm.
If yours is the standard (6 speakers) you shouldn't have a problem with swapping the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
chewie
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like I should have the standard setup, but I'm a bit confused because that link says that the standard has no door speakers and no subs behind the seat, but I'm pretty sure mine has those, and doesn't have any additional speakers. Huh?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Are you sure you have subs behind the seats? The speakers behind the seats are towards the top of the trim, below the roll bars and have round grills. The subs are about 10" below. See this page for the diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...98&hg=65&fg=20
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
chewie
Private
Canada
Rep

Hm, I definitely see something back there, unless it's just another speaker and not subs? The grill for this is almost rectangular (similar to the diagram), but it begins about 2-3" below the round grills, not 10" below.

Edit:
Found some pics on the web. Not my car obviously, but this is what mine looks like behind the seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Yeah those must be the rear woofers. Take out one of the grills and see if the woofer is installed. If the woofers are there, check the trunk where the battery is. If an amp is installed next to the battery, you have the top hifi system and it will not be an easy job. If there's no amp, you have Hifi.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

to put it simple, if you have the options on your stock headunit to change between concert, jazz, classic etc. then you have DSP and you cant just wire up a headunit with a wiring harness for it to work.

if you dont have those DSP options on your stock headunit, then you can wire up an aftermarket headunit with a wiring harness without an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
chewie
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
to put it simple, if you have the options on your stock headunit to change between concert, jazz, classic etc. then you have DSP and you cant just wire up a headunit with a wiring harness for it to work.

if you dont have those DSP options on your stock headunit, then you can wire up an aftermarket headunit with a wiring harness without an issue.
Late bump! Using this advice, I definitely have the non-dsp, and I don't think I have subs in the back. Does anyone know if I can just buy a couple small subs and stick them back there without any problems? Or, worst case scenario, get someone's used factory subs and put them back there?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
chewie
Private
Canada
Rep

Bump. Can I buy some subs from the dealer or used to stick back there without any issues?
Appreciate 0