ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Rattle sound from rear of car in idle

Hi,

Started to hear it on the freeway today when I had to stop due to traffic. It has continued ever since. If I give it throttle the sound goes away. Sounds like something is rattling but I can't figure out what.

I had the car on ramps and checked the bolts and everything is fine. I didn't get too far back, could be from x-pipe to cats connection but not likely. Car drives perfectly fine and there are no leaks anywhere.

The car has been sitting a while and the last time I drove the car it was perfectly fine. I didn't hit anything on the road.

Best option is to get it on a lift to figure out where it is coming from. Anyone else run into this?

08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
IF it goes away with throttle, I would say it almost has to be exhaust related. Can you put a heavy glove on and push/pull the exhaust up down and side to side to see if it changes?
      07-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
I had similar symptoms... it turned out to be small rocks in the outer wall of the exhaust tips, which sucked to remove. hopefully yours isn't the same issue.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Thanks guys!

I got a chance to get under the car today. Took off the thin sheet metal shield and the bolts on the thicker black shield that holds the X-Pipe to the chassis were loose. Guess they came loose from vibrations or I didn't fully tighten them. Don't know. Put some lock tight on them and put it back together. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet but it sounded normal when I started it. Hopefully that was the issue ... if not will update the thread.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0