ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
P-Man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Who likes the hockey puck roundel blinker on the side of your Z4?

I replaced mine (2006 Z4 M) with a regular roundel that is the exact size of your trunk roundel. Pretty easy, order up an extra trunk roundel, unscrew counter clock-wise and unplug your existing roundel blinker, apply some adhesive on the inside of your new roundel (I used the Wurth Bond and Seal) and apply. Nice flush application!
Attached Images

H&R Coilovers l SS 3 Piece Engine & Rear Braces l RE Tranny Mounts l Zeck CDV l UUC Evo3 & Performance Knob l Ram Air l APR Splitter w/ Rods l ACS 2-Piece Wing l AA Gen IV Headers l RE X-Pipe l Remus Exhaust l ESS Flash l StopTech Stainless Lines l K&N
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

looks pretty spiffy ! just take some better pictures in sunlight if possible
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
P-Man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

yeah, I agree.....got excited after the accomplishment.....7pm
H&R Coilovers l SS 3 Piece Engine & Rear Braces l RE Tranny Mounts l Zeck CDV l UUC Evo3 & Performance Knob l Ram Air l APR Splitter w/ Rods l ACS 2-Piece Wing l AA Gen IV Headers l RE X-Pipe l Remus Exhaust l ESS Flash l StopTech Stainless Lines l K&N
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I always thought how cool it be to make an actuator so when not in use its flush then when the blinker is actuated it deploys and starts blinking......how James bond would that be! lol

it be kind of like the high end tweeter setup on the Bang & Olufsen stereo setups.

I figure with all the trick stereo systems and all the movements they can make I bet you somebody could make an internal setup that could make that happen, id spare no expense if we could conjure up the mechanism....

oh well one can dream!

on a side note theirs a lot of room back their!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
P-Man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

That would be sweet! Hmmmm........I do have a brainiac engineer that may be able to conjour up something. I will call tomorrow and reply. Whats something like that worth?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Man View Post
That would be sweet! Hmmmm........I do have a brainiac engineer that may be able to conjour up something. I will call tomorrow and reply. Whats something like that worth?

well im a designer myself but i work with the visual side of things, so we would def, need someone with a mechanical mind, im not to bad myself but i would need more horse power to make something like that up.

i sometimes daydream up little one-off projects and make them for my car but i imagine this could be a marketable thing if done right and was not throug the roof cost wise.

that part of the car always looked like something should happen their.

kind of like the bmw in the james bond film when it droped the grenade from the side marker or something like that.

i imagine you would have to make some sort of frame to hold the blinker flush with the body and when voltage is sent to the unit the acuator pops it open, the new samsung class 9 sterio setup has a 3d blueray player that has a round element that rises when turned on. but thats way to complicated.

i just imagine you could mill out a carage unit to slide on and the electric acuator has a 2 second delay so as long as its getting power it would remain open then after the power shuts off (blinker no longer is on) after two second or so it would retract.

basically what i see in hige end sterio systems this would be a peice of cake, just may need someone to make a pc bourd for the timed delay. not sure whats out their!

it be cool if he thinks it would be easy to do, maybe ill start brainstorming ways to make it happen.

also like i said with the tweeters that pop up, the tech is already their but i imagine the cost of the motor or mechanism for this little babys are outrages!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
That doesn't trigger the indicator light on the dash that illuminates when a bulb is burned out?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
P-Man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention one step..........take gasket off blinker and glue on roundel before application. That gives full flush.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Man View Post
I replaced mine (2006 Z4 M) with a regular roundel that is the exact size of your trunk roundel. Pretty easy, order up an extra trunk roundel, unscrew counter clock-wise and unplug your existing roundel blinker, apply some adhesive on the inside of your new roundel (I used the Wurth Bond and Seal) and apply. Nice flush application!
Nice job on that! Please post some better photos from different angles so we can get a good appeciation of how the appearance of the car is changed. I have never really liked the side blinkers but they are a very unusual feature and I've been reluctant to mess with them. Part of the attraction of our cars are the little unique features that you don't see on other cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
So, does your roundel now flash, or is the turn indicator not functioning now? I really do like the idea of a flush roundel, but I would like to have it still flash when using turn signals.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Interesting bit of work.
On my M Roady I cut the lens in half to make them a little more flush but still functional.
I'm sure there are some old threads in here on it.

With your flush roundel, it might be cool to have the white sections as a lens and have them light up.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Found the old thread by Rom3n
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67404

...here's the look.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I like the look of the half'd reflector. It think it looks really clean that way. I wouldn't want to get rid of the light all together though as it's one of the things that drew me in to wanting to drive this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Interesting bit of work.
On my M Roady I cut the lens in half to make them a little more flush but still functional.
I'm sure there are some old threads in here on it.

With your flush roundel, it might be cool to have the white sections as a lens and have them light up.
What did you use to cut the lens?
Did you cut from the fender side of the lens, or the emblem side?

I think this looks pretty good. Are you planning on doing it to the coupe, or is there a reason no to do the mod.

thanks
      10-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I think the stock arrangement looks just fine.

I've seen some reviews where the guy liked everything about the car, except the side roundel / turn indicator. I don't share that view, but at the same time, your idea looks very neat for those who don't like the stock arrangement.

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Interesting write-up. I like having a turn indicator there, but I think they could have executed it a little better. I guess it was progressive for its time.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
What did you use to cut the lens?
Did you cut from the fender side of the lens, or the emblem side?

I think this looks pretty good. Are you planning on doing it to the coupe, or is there a reason no to do the mod.

thanks
I just haven't had time for some of the cosmetic detail mods yet.
I'll get to them over the winter.

It's pretty obvious when you take it apart
& that old thread is a pretty good DIY.

The roundel comes off 1st, then the lens is separated from the backing plate.
The backing plate side is what gets trimmed.

A couple of things to note that aren't in that thread:
- if you are retaining the OE bulb, you are limited by the bulb length for the amount you can trim the lens.
- you can gain a little extra bulb clearance by drilling the back where the roundel mounts.
- test the glue you use.
I used a glue that worked great but reacted with the white backing plate & it fogged the inside of the lens.
(had to take apart & re-do)
- I tried LED but couldn't get it to stop throwing "lamp out" even with a resistor.
(there may be better LED options now)

...sorry for the topic left turn P-Man
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #18
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

A couple of things to note that aren't in that thread:
- if you are retaining the OE bulb, you are limited by the bulb length for the amount you can trim the lens.
- you can gain a little extra bulb clearance by drilling the back where the roundel mounts.
- test the glue you use.
I used a glue that worked great but reacted with the white backing plate & it fogged the inside of the lens.
(had to take apart & re-do)
- I tried LED but couldn't get it to stop throwing "lamp out" even with a resistor.
(there may be better LED options now)

...sorry for the topic left turn P-Man
Thanks for the tips!

+1 sorry for the P-man
      10-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
P-Man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks and I agree but for some reason the puck rubs me the wrong way. Will do new pic's tomorrow.....out of town today
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
P-Man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I also was interested in the AC Schnitzer and Hamann aftermarket flush/blinker sets but wasnt willing to pay the $850 and $650 respectively. This cost me $35 for the roundel, $12 for the adhesive and 15 minutes of my time for both.
Appreciate 0