ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
colatkitty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MCoupe, S2000

Brand new racetrack in So. Cal!!! Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (Video)

A brand new track just opened its doors a few weeks ago in Southern California. www.chuckwallavalleyraceway.com

A couple of my friends and I (all driving z4m coupes) decided to attend the first official “car” trackday held on this brand new track. We ran clockwise that day. We all had a lot of fun at this technical and interesting track.

Here are some of my thoughts on the track:
1) Very smooth and wide track.
2) Nice sweeping turns with a few tricky transitions with blind exits.
3) Very wide runoff area= safe to push to the limits without fear of hitting something besides the hot pit wall. Although I don’t think it will be an issue since the speeds you are carrying at that point isn’t very high to allow your car to slide all the way to the wall.
4) Completely featureless with no reference points besides the curbing and cones.
5) It has more elevation change than it appears on the map.
6) The straights are not very long, so top speeds aren’t that high. The entire track was ran in 3rd and 4th gears.
7) It is somewhat technical, and appears to be well suited lighter, good handling cars.

Here is a video
[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L92ljJTiBLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L92ljJTiBLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I enjoyed the track very much, and will take my S2K out there next time to really have some fun. Hopefully the organization will be a bit more laxed on what they allow on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Any more Z4M track days let me know. I want to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
terryltl
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Great picture and sweet video. Looks like a ton of fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Can you tell me more about how you mounted the video camera?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
colatkitty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MCoupe, S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
Nice video, thanks for sharing. Can you tell me more about how you mounted the video camera?
You won't believe how simple and inexpensive my camera mount really is. It is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-WINDOW-MOUNT...item588762187a

The plastic piece on top of the bulkhead behind the seat easily pops off by prying it straight up. There is a piece of sheet metal that I can mount this camera mount onto. Very simple, cheap, yet functional $13 camera mount.
Appreciate 0