ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Z4M - CSL Intake + Evolve Tune

Took advantage of their Black Friday sale price and finally pulled the trigger on their CSL Carbon Fiber Intake + Evolve-r Tune

Last Z4 M vehicle produced was over 12 years ago and the availability of after market parts is slowly disappearing, it's a big chunk of change but it was one of those 'now or never' moments

I know a few things about the installation and how it changes the way the car behaves and I'm aware Evolve had issues with their pre-2016 tune but, mainly with with heel and toe, but these all seem to be fixed

I've seen various videos but I know videos are never a real representation of the end product

This said, what can I expect? Things like Pro's and Con's of running it through Alpha-N, the status of the newest evolve tune, low end torque issues, reliability, things to look for etc.

Also, is installation DIY doable? My experience being mostly with exterior and interior cosmetic parts or trim, few electronic retrofits on f platform and the usual entry level mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

The installation is pretty DIY friendly. Like any project be patient and take your time. At the end of the day it's a bolt on part, especially if you do the Turner plug and play harness for the IAT. I found a bit of silicone spray made it easier to slide the air box onto the ITB trumpets. I ended up replacing the intake mounts (11617830735) and using OEM clamps vs the Evolve ones on the engine side (better clearance for the throttle cables and better looking). It's also nice doing it yourself as it gives you the chance to clean the ITBs and other parts of the engine where a shop might not take the time.

These are the threads I used to install. I'm far from a professional and it went pretty smoothly. It's pretty cool taking the intake manifold off and seeing how the ITBs operate if your new to the S54 like I was.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=22

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148282

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=393558

I used a US based tuner for my tune, but based on my research it seems Evolve has sorted their issues years ago. No issues with the tune at all, and I have driven the car from below sea level to 10,000ft+ in elevation, 20-115 degrees F. If anything it drives smoother than stock.

Last edited by sirhodjibob; 12-10-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 3
Dav3948.50
      12-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

would also recommend an RPI or Eventuri scoop to direct more air to the box. The Evolve airbox is nice compared to other CSL style boxes since the snorkel reaches down to the factory air inlet on our cars but it's at a bit awkward of an angle.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
The installation is pretty DIY friendly. Like any project be patient and take your time. At the end of the day it's a bolt on part, especially if you do the Turner plug and play harness for the IAT. I found a bit of silicone spray made it easier to slide the air box onto the ITB trumpets. I ended up replacing the intake mounts (11617830735) and using OEM clamps vs the Evolve ones on the engine side (better clearance for the throttle cables and better looking). It's also nice doing it yourself as it gives you the chance to clean the ITBs and other parts of the engine where a shop might not take the time.

These are the threads I used to install. I'm far from a professional and it went pretty smoothly. It's pretty cool taking the intake manifold off and seeing how the ITBs operate if your new to the S54 like I was.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23437690&postcount=22

I used a US based tuner for my tune, but based on my research it seems Evolve has sorted their issues years ago. No issues with the tune at all, and I have driven the car from below sea level to 10,000ft+ in elevation, 20-115 degrees F. If anything it drives smoother than stock.

Thanks for the informative reply, definitely has given me more confidence to tackle the task on my own

> Turner plug and play harness for the IAT.

Doesn't Evolve supply something for the IAT and how does the Turner plug differ? If you have a link that would be great
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
would also recommend an RPI or Eventuri scoop to direct more air to the box. The Evolve airbox is nice compared to other CSL style boxes since the snorkel reaches down to the factory air inlet on our cars but it's at a bit awkward of an angle.
Quote:

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...8;postcount=22

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...65886470_b.jpg[/img]
It's funny you say this because I explicitly chose the evolve box because of the snorkel and assuming it is a perfect fit.

I've read mixed reviews about a the scoops, some say they are useless while some say they feel a tiny improvement, others mention increased noise and actual lower air intake
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Thanks for the informative reply, definitely has given me more confidence to tackle the task on my own

> Turner plug and play harness for the IAT.

Doesn't Evolve supply something for the IAT and how does the Turner plug differ? If you have a link that would be great
The Turner harness just circumvents the need to splice the IAT wires into your MAF connector making it completely reversible and saving time.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...rness/?pdk=Agk

I did not get anything from Evolve for the IAT that I recall, but that may be because I just purchased the box and not the full kit with the tune. I ended up using the IAT sensor from Turner which is the E38 IAT. You'll want to use whatever IAT sensor the Evolve tune is calibrated for.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Took advantage of their Black Friday sale price and finally pulled the trigger on their CSL Carbon Fiber Intake + Evolve-r Tune

Last Z4 M vehicle produced was over 12 years ago and the availability of after market parts is slowly disappearing, it's a big chunk of change but it was one of those 'now or never' moments

I know a few things about the installation and how it changes the way the car behaves and I'm aware Evolve had issues with their pre-2016 tune but, mainly with with heel and toe, but these all seem to be fixed

I've seen various videos but I know videos are never a real representation of the end product

This said, what can I expect? Things like Pro's and Con's of running it through Alpha-N, the status of the newest evolve tune, low end torque issues, reliability, things to look for etc.

Also, is installation DIY doable? My experience being mostly with exterior and interior cosmetic parts or trim, few electronic retrofits on f platform and the usual entry level mods.

I bought mine back in march and absolutely love it. How much were you able to get the kit for black friday?

The instructions that Evolve provides is good, but missed some points:

Couple of tips on the install. The Crankshaft hose in the kit is longer than the one in the Z4M. You will need a heat gun to take the hose and keep the pressure sensor.

Make sure that clamps DO NOT interfere with the throttle bodies. This will scare the shit out of you when you drive and your ecus kills the power
Appreciate 0