ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
rubbing when turning hard right

Somehow I've got rubbing somewhere up front, not sure which wheel, when I make a slow right turn at full lock. I poked around both fender wells and can't see any sign of what might be amiss. Stock wheels & tire sizes. Only happens on rights. Anybody have any suggestions on what might be the cause?
      12-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Check the FCAB. A broken or aged out offset FCAB may allow enough wiggle in the control arm as the tire is subjected to lateral grip to move far enough to let the front outer edge to touch the corner of the bumper where the bumper and front fender meets.

You can also try high speed (70-80mph? Without getting in trouble with the local constables) moderate pressure braking, if one or both FCABs are starting to fail, you will feel what seems to be unbalanced wheels or warped rotor sensations (again the FCAB allowing the front control arms to wiggle in place). If the tires are rubbing as you turn on stock diameter/width tires up front, and you get that vibration through the steering wheel braking at high speeds, you need to replace both FCABs even if they appear to be in good shape.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

The HACK does it again....always precise and helpful.
      12-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Hack, I'll look into that. You might well be onto something. I *think* the FCABs are fine, and the car is still under 35k miles, but they are a decade old after all.

I'm now wrestling with tire balance issues. When I bought the car in November, it had Michelin PSS's on it with about 75% of their treadlife left - but they were 8 years old, so they had to go. Balance on those was PERFECT. Replaced them 2 weeks ago with Pilot Sport 4s's, and Discount Tire can't get the balancing right, after 2 tries. I'm sure the wheels are true or the old tires would't have felt so perfect. So I'll probably drag my ass back in there a 3rd time and ask them to road force balance them this time. Problem is finding a guy who actually knows how to use the machine. I once paid for road force balancing on my original Z4MC and the kid was done with all 4 wheels/tires in 45 minutes flat. That's barely enough time to do one properly!
      12-20-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

And The HACK said "you will feel what seems to be unbalanced wheels" ...
Just sayin'.
Check the FCABs before going back to Discount Tire.
      12-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
And The HACK said "you will feel what seems to be unbalanced wheels" ...
Just sayin'.
Check the FCABs before going back to Discount Tire.
Yeahbut.. the previous tires were absolutely perfectly in balance the day before I bought new ones. The FCABs wouldn't have gone bad overnight.

I'll be passing through Phoenix in early January and I'm planning on a trip to my old indy dude while there. I'll have the belts replaced and have him check the FCABs, as well as check the LCM, as I still have an issue with dim dash lighting that I want to get resolved. Hoping I don't need to replace the LCM as that puppy ain't cheap. Will also try to get him to code my halos as DRLs and the clown nose to blink when the car was locked, as my '07 did.
      12-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Yeahbut.. the previous tires were absolutely perfectly in balance the day before I bought new ones. The FCABs wouldn't have gone bad overnight.

I'll be passing through Phoenix in early January and I'm planning on a trip to my old indy dude while there. I'll have the belts replaced and have him check the FCABs, as well as check the LCM, as I still have an issue with dim dash lighting that I want to get resolved. Hoping I don't need to replace the LCM as that puppy ain't cheap. Will also try to get him to code my halos as DRLs and the clown nose to blink when the car was locked, as my '07 did.
Higher grip and/or wider tires will accentuate front end issues. Try backing in a circle at a bit of speed with the steering wheel at left and right lock. If you hear or feel any clunking at all then your FCABs are shot.

With respect to the potential balance issues, take a look at each of the wheels and see how much weight they put on. If there are a lot of balance weights stuck on the wheels, then they hosed the balancing job. A good quality tire shouldn't need much weight tape to be in balance.