ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
zukunftvier
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0si ; 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunUpTopDown3 View Post
MIATAAA Wayyy cooler than a Z4 The driving differences are astonishing. Getting into the miata is like slipping a tigh-hugging pair of running shoes. Translates all your body motions directly. There is really nothing like it. But gotta love the Z4 for the extra HPs
Thanks! I did consider Miatas when I was searching, but they dropped off my list when I insisted on 6 cylinders. Now I'm intrigued and will have to drive one (even though is doesn't satisfy my need for 4 seats).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #24
zukunftvier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Not really conducive to 4 adults, but 2 adults and 2 kids would fit nicely in a Mini Cooper.
Wife and I both have one. 06 for me 2012 for her. Fun little cars.
Now there have been multiple posts about Minis. What configuration should I look for to maximize my fun?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #25
zukunftvier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Our Z4 M Roadster is our third car. My main car is a 2016 M4 Coupe. My wife's car is a 2018 M3.
Beautiful. Envious. If the M3 is out of my price range, I guess I'd look for a 335i or 340i, maybe with the M sport package (or does that /make/ it an M3?).

I'm in the North with snowy winters. Do I need xdrive, or is it sufficient to have winter tires? Can I get xdrive + manual trans? So many questions. Thanks for your help (everyone)!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #26
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukunftvier View Post
Now there have been multiple posts about Minis. What configuration should I look for to maximize my fun?
I drove a Cooper S 6 speed and it was ridiculous, lost traction going into 3rd, but couldn't justify the additional cost for a commuter.

If you need thrills daily then go for the S.
I have the Z for the occasional daily thrill and most weekends.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #27
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I did consider Miatas when I was searching, but they dropped off my list when I insisted on 6 cylinders. Now I'm intrigued and will have to drive one (even though is doesn't satisfy my need for 4 seats).
For smiles per mile and cost, you can't beat a Miata. Add boost and they become a riot. My recommendation on models to look would be a 2001-2005 (Called the NB2 in the miata community) or a 2019+ (ND2). The headlights on the 01-05 are significantly better and the addition of variable valve timing adds some pep to the engine. For the 2019+, again the revised engine in the facelift is a big improvement and the steering wheel finally telescopes back and forth for short and tall drivers.

Quote:
My top pick for a Mini would be a first gen (2000-2006) Cooper S or JCW. The supercharger noise on the S adds a ton of character and the accessory JCW exhaust amps up the noise, pops and burbles. After that, pretty much any S or JCW model will be the most fun and the aftermarket JCW exhaust is a must have.
      07-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #28
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Beautiful. Envious. If the M3 is out of my price range, I guess I'd look for a 335i or 340i, maybe with the M sport package (or does that /make/ it an M3?).

I'm in the North with snowy winters. Do I need xdrive, or is it sufficient to have winter tires? Can I get xdrive + manual trans? So many questions. Thanks for your help (everyone)!
I grew up in Michigan and drove rear-wheel cars until Volkswagen introduced the Rabbit, which was front-wheel drive, which we bought for my girlfriend's first car. I bought two front-wheel-drive Honda Preludes after that, but after I moved to CA I bought a Honda S2000. I always ran snow tires on all four wheels on my rear-wheel-drive cars in Michigan. After buying the front-wheel-drive cars I didn't feel the snow tires were required.

If I still lived in Michigan, my cars would be BMW xDrive cars with snow tires on all four wheels. Other people will undoubtedly have different opinions.

A 335i or a 340i will never be an ///M car, even with an M Sport Package, although many people think that they can "upgrade" those cars with aftermarket parts to equal a ///M car. Again, others will have different opinions. My wife's first BMW was an E92 335is Coupe, marketed as a step between the 335i and the M3, and while it was a great car and fun to drive, it was closer to the 335i than it was to the M3.

Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      07-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #29
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

I dont think its as cool as my M coupe but for daily and winter use my X3M40i is tough to beat! The electric steering cant hold a candle to the M nor can the skinny steering wheel. However the 3 liter turbo 6 is incredible with the ZF 8 speed tranny! I still love climbing into the Z on the weekends...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #30
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
TBH, nearly anything is going to be cooler than a minivan

I have a 2nd gen X3 xdrive with a turbo 6 and the dynamic handling pkg.
Room enough, fast enough, handles well enough, fun enough and goes through snow well enough.
Not sure I would consider it cool enough but I needed something for winter to handle the hilly snow covered roads and to take on trips since I retired my 24 year old 4Runner.

Name:  cropped.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  418.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #31
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunUpTopDown3 View Post
MIATAAA Wayyy cooler than a Z4 The driving differences are astonishing. Getting into the miata is like slipping a tigh-hugging pair of running shoes. Translates all your body motions directly. There is really nothing like it. But gotta love the Z4 for the extra HPs
If you've never flogged a Miata around for a couple of hours on challenging roads...your life is not complete. Had 3 of them over 12 years. In the end needed a change, wanted a different exhaust note with more power (tough to get a blown 4 cylinder to sound great IMHO) and something a little more substantial for highway driving. I do miss the experience though.

I daily a Macan S and it's a great complement to the Z.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #32
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Regarding the original question from the OP -

Your only criteria is "cool" and "4-seats"? That is a WIDE open field.........

Occasional use only seats for kids? How about an old 996 Porsche in the $25k to $30k range (although the prices seem to be climbing on those).

Or do you need "real" back seats?
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #33
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

A car with an M sport package, while not a true M car, would likely be a great fun car with lower maintenance than an M.

I live in Canada and for snow, yes you can get away without Xdrive if you run with a good set of winter tires. But Xdrive is soooo much better in the snow so it’s my preference. And Xdrive cars are automatic shift only.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #34
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Actually, if someone put a gun to my head and insisted I have a 4-seater from BMW for my daily, I'd probably go with a 4-series Gran Coupe (because hatchbacks rule) or a 435i with manual (if getting a stick was a requirement and the GC isn't available with stick).

Dunno if they are "cool" enough for the OP though.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #35
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Love my 996 Turbo. With some bolt-ons and tuning, few cars can keep up

Prices are out of control on used Porsches though, to a greater extent than the rest of the used car market. I wouldn't consider a non-GT/Turbo 996/997.1 due to the engine issues, and 997.2+ 911s are overpriced.
Attached Images

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 4
3798j11409.00
pyshin110.50
Vanne1620.50
      07-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #36
SunUpTopDown3
Backroad Warrior
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
If you've never flogged a Miata around for a couple of hours on challenging roads...your life is not complete. Had 3 of them over 12 years. In the end needed a change, wanted a different exhaust note with more power (tough to get a blown 4 cylinder to sound great IMHO) and something a little more substantial for highway driving. I do miss the experience though.

I daily a Macan S and it's a great complement to the Z.
This. Exactly this. You and I and maybe a few other lucky ones know of this experience. Driving a Miata REALLY hard through the twisties is life changing. The balance, the lightness, the snickety-snick gear box, the transparent steering, grippy brakes, seating position and oh the visibility. You can plan your line through that corner 3 times over with how far you can see ahead.
      07-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #37
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

When I read "cool", SUVs don't come to my mind. I think about unique and distinct. Ie not common. I used to think Teslas were cool until I see them at every street corner.

Lately I've been dreamin' of acquiring an old school Alfa.

Speaking of Miata, great cars. Those who experienced them knows how good these little Mazdas are. Each generation delivers different driving sensation. If you find the Miata is a bit too uncouth, the Fiat 124 has similar feel to an e85. The Abarth version is quite fun too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:34 PM   #38
zukunftvier
Rep

OP here. You've given me a lot to consider. Some additional thoughts over the past days:

- The thing I love about the z4 is definitely that it is "cool", but the important part is probably that I get excited every time I drive it. Heck, I get excited every time I take trash to the garage and look at it. I go look at it when I don't have trash to take out.

- I need a second car to use with kids in the car, or in the winter. In both cases, I am probably not going to be winding the car up like I do the z4. This is the crux of my question here: Is there a winter car with 4 seats that will be as exciting as the z4? I want that to be an M2/M3/M4 (yes, the 435 is also cool enough). Is an X3M exciting?

- Stopped at the local dealer yesterday. M2/M3/M4 are great. And expensive. If I had to pick a used one to bring the cost down, which year(s) should I look for or avoid?

- I've always liked the Miata, but I already have a two-seater. I /almost/ took the z out for an HPDE day last week, but bailed out because I didn't want to risk damage to my baby. I read about someone doing track days in a Miata and just flooring it almost continuously. So maybe there's room for a track-day Miata in my future.

Thanks for the non-BMW suggestions too!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #39
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post

Prices are out of control on used Porsches though, to a greater extent than the rest of the used car market. I wouldn't consider a non-GT/Turbo 996/997.1 due to the engine issues, and 997.2+ 911s are overpriced.
If you mean the Porsche intermediate shaft and its tendency in some models to double as a random engine self destruct mechanism, aren’t there really solid and reasonable cost retrofit kits available to avoid that problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #40
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

IMS bearing is a problem with specific years of 911s and Boxster. I believe if they were to fail, it would've occurred during mid-life. So either buy a mint condition with the fix in place. I think a company called LN Engineering does that and provides a certification. Else buy a high mileage one at a low price and roll the proverbial dice.

For 911s... the uber-definition of cool would have an "air" as prefix. Wish I kept my 964 instead of "maturing up" and sold it for a Subaru Outback.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #41
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post

If you mean the Porsche intermediate shaft and its tendency in some models to double as a random engine self destruct mechanism, aren’t there really solid and reasonable cost retrofit kits available to avoid that problem?
IMS fix can be retrofitted in the 996 and very early 997.1, but the later 997.1 cannot be retrofitted. The bigger worry would be bore scoring and "D chunk" failure, for which there is no fix short of a full rebuild with an insane 1.5 year wait from a quality engine builder and >$20k price. The stock oiling system on those engines needs attention if you want to do any sort of track work. Even with a built engine, the design is flawed, and I know of several people that spent significant time and money on their engines only to see it all go up in smoke. Ultimately those engines are made of glass and should be avoided at all costs IMHO. This includes Boxsters and Caymans of the same years. They are all ticking bombs.

On the other hand, the Mezger (996/997 GT/Turbo) was a legendary engine- overbuilt with proven parts and a dry sump oiling system. It is one of the best engines ever made. Several examples have gone over 500k miles with track time and upgraded turbos, and one has gone over 720k miles without a rebuild. I remember one example in particular that was torn down at 550k miles because the owner assumed it was needed, but he found virtually no wear. Failures are rare as long as boost is kept in check. It would be worth the extra money for peace of mind, forgetting for a minute that Mezgers can make huge power.

Where the 996 saved Porsche financially, the Mezger saved their reputation. Most of the engine's part numbers begin with 993 or 964, so it does have some character once its exhaust system is opened up. Water cooling was essentially an after thought.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 1
Steeler2428.50
      07-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #42
zukunftvier
Rep

Reposting this in case it got lost amid recent posts:

OP here. You've given me a lot to consider. Some additional thoughts over the past days:

- The thing I love about the z4 is definitely that it is "cool", but the important part is probably that I get excited every time I drive it. Heck, I get excited every time I take trash to the garage and look at it. I go look at it when I don't have trash to take out.

- I need a second car to use with kids in the car, or in the winter. In both cases, I am probably not going to be winding the car up like I do the z4. This is the crux of my question here: Is there a winter car with 4 seats that will be as exciting as the z4? I want that to be an M2/M3/M4 (yes, the 435 is also cool enough). Is an X3M exciting?

- Stopped at the local dealer yesterday. M2/M3/M4 are great. And expensive. If I had to pick a used one to bring the cost down, which year(s) should I look for or avoid? 2014 M235i looks like it might be a fit, but RWD only.

- I've always liked the Miata, but I already have a two-seater. I /almost/ took the z out for an HPDE day last week, but bailed out because I didn't want to risk damage to my baby. I read about someone doing track days in a Miata and just flooring it almost continuously. So maybe there's room for a track-day Miata in my future.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #43
flapjack
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 07' Z4MC / 13' X5M

I daily my E70 X5M. Fun to drive, lots of space, great in the snow. It's just terrible on gas 🤣
Attached Images

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe
2013 BMW X5M
2013 Mini Cooper S Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #44
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Quote:
Reposting this in case it got lost amid recent posts:

- Stopped at the local dealer yesterday. M2/M3/M4 are great. And expensive. If I had to pick a used one to bring the cost down, which year(s) should I look for or avoid? 2014 M235i looks like it might be a fit, but RWD only.

I daily my E70 X5M. Fun to drive, lots of space, great in the snow. It's just terrible on gas 🤣
I like the Genesis in the background. Had that model for 3 years a loved it.
Appreciate 0