ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Nate's build/adventure thread

So I got to take a little bit of leave to go home and I decided I wanted to treat myself and my car to some mods. Since I was going home for 12 days I decided to do 12 mods. Some were just maintenance, some were cosmetic, and some just to make the car a little more enjoyable. I should have taken more photos of the installs, but I went through everything quickly and was busy the rest of the time I was home so I apologize for that. I'm back in Germany now so I can't take any photos for about the next year.

Heres the list:
SmartTOP roof controller
Aero side skirts
F10 M5 shift knob
Replacement swaybar bolts since 3/4 fell out
DKF Hangers
Trunk storage pouches
LED light strip for trunk
Zeckhausen Racing CDV
LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest
ZPost stickers
DansDecals Reflector decals
Vanos filter & O-rings

I started ordering parts a couple months ago to make sure everything would be waiting for me when I got home. Luckily getbmwparts.com is located on the way home from the airport so I ordered the skirts, shift knob, and swaybar bolts and selected for local pick up to save on shipping. Even though traffic was crap on the way I luckily made it there in time to pick everything up. The boxes for the side skirts are HUGE and barely fit in my parents' Pilot. Heres everything minus the reflector decals which came in late.

The installation for most everything was very easy and straight forward. I started in the trunk with the LED strip and trunk storage. I cut a small section of the LED strip off to get it to fit better and followed the instructions SD Z4MR put in his thread. However I routed the wire behind the carpet. I disconnected the factory light housing from its harness to make the wiring easier. I took the exposed wires from the LED and wrapped them around the bulb housing on the factory part, put it back in the carpet, connected the harness and it was perfect! This is where I put the strip..

I wanted to put it on the silver part closer to the top, but it wouldn't stick there. The trunk storage piece went in almost too easily. Just some plastic plugs pushed through the storage unit into pre drilled holes in the trunk lid. I bought this just as somewhere else to keep some cleaning rags and maybe some some paperwork. Unfortunately the velcro is a bit weak, the pouches are smaller than I thought, and the whole thing sits very close to the back of the trunk (top part when trunk is open) so its hard to get some things in the pouches.

After getting the trunk done I went inside the car to install those items. The LeatherZ armrest was pretty simple to install. I wasn't able to use the little plastic tube thing for the BMW assist cover since that nub had broken off apparently. After using the alcohol pad i just lined up the armrest and put some pressure down on it for the adhesive strips to stick. I picked up the armrest with a slight discount since they said it had a blemish in the leather. It was a barely noticeable mark that looks like it was just slightly used already. I definitely saw the appeal in this thing after the first drive with it in. Its so much easier to pop my wallet in there, sunglasses, and some loose change then its just so much more comfortable while driving. I'm also glad I went with black on black instead of trying to add more beige to the interior.

The shift knob took a little bit of careful work to install. I couldn't find any wire cutters or needle nose pliers so cutting the knob free of the shift boot was a bit tricky. It would have been nice to swap the whole boot into the car, but I didn't want to play with getting it off the M5 ring base and onto the Z4 one. After getting the M5 knob off its boot swapping it out was pretty easy. When I got the new knob installed I did notice it didn't sit quite flush to the boot. I only really noticed this when I touched it though. I wish I had a photo of this thing in the dark because the difference in how it lights up compared to the stock Z4M knob is really night and day. The weight also helps a little with shifting and the silver ring accents with the aluminum trim in my car too.

After getting these installed I put in the smartTOP module. I was waiting for the group guy to pan out of this, but it never did so I picked one up off ebay. A lot of the E85 guys were put off by this because it wasn't plug and play, but it took me all of 15 minutes to put this in and 5 of those were just trying to figure out how to get the factory convertible computer out from behind the interior paneling. You only need a small jeweler's type flathead screw driver, some pliers for crimping a wire tap and a 10mm socket. Swapping out the wires from the harnesses is SUPER easy and other than the wire taps you can take this out and leave everything as it was from the factory is you so choose. Programming it was also very easy. Using just the convertible top buttons you cycle through its menu and it pops up with the selection option on either the Nav screen or the radio screen as well as using the turn signal arrows on the dash to signal what options are selected. Turning off the module if you're dropping the car off somewhere is also super simple. The ONLY downside I seem to have with this thing is that my windows don't roll up automatically anymore. I need to contact mods4cars to see if thats normal. I wish I would have taken photos of the install to show how extremely simple this was. I would highly recommend this to everyone with a roadster and auto top. It seems like a lot of money, but if it doesn't break the bank its totally worth it. I love the one touch up/down and being able to drive with it operating. Jump on the group buy and get one!

After this I put the car up on ramps and installed the DKF hangers. I have to say, Doug Davis from DKF is The Man! I ordered the hangers maybe a month ago and right away he let me know every step of the way the progress of my order. He ran into an issue with the company that cut out the rubber pad and immediately let me know. Then when they were done he ran out and mailed them right away so that I would get them in time for when I got home. THEN he even emailed me to ask if they got in OK. And a couple days later emailed me to ask if I got them installed ok and offered to provide any info if I had issues getting them installed. THAT is customer service!

Dubsesd had taken some nice pics when he got his hangers and mentioned the quality and how beautiful a piece these things are. He was not kidding. It is a shame these things get hidden under the car because they look great for just being an exhaust hanger!

Installation was pretty simple. I wanted these so that I could adjust the position RPI cans I put on the last time I was home. I put a jackstand under the mufflers and took off the factory hanger, then replaced it with the DKF, got the position down and tightened everything down. I didnt have a ruler handy to get the tips perfectly symmetrical but I think I got them pretty close.

and yes my tags are expired. I'm trying to get it switched ti MD tags, but just as CA was a pain to try to get them renewed, its hard to get them to send the info to switch it too.

After the hangers I put on the swaybar bolts and the Vanos filter kit. Nothing special there. 3 of the 4 bolts had fallen out.

Then I put on my ZPost stickers. I ordered 1 light and 1 dark sticker. I put the light colored sticker on the radiator shroud and the dark on the rear window. I ran into an issue with the one under the hood in that it didnt want to stick to the plastic, probably because of the armorall I had cleaned it with last time I was home. They also stick to the paper they came on pretty well too which made getting them on kind of hard. No pic of the one under the hood, but here is the one on the back.

Next I tackled the CDV, and this is where my day went to shit. For everything I installed I spent time reading how-tos and any instructions I could find. I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing here... I was wrong.

After lifting and putting jackstands under the car and removing the shield underneath I looked around to figure out what I needed to do. I had read that I needed to clamp the clutch line to prevent fluid from coming out, but I didn't have a C-clamp so I grabbed some vice grips. I also read not to camp it too hard to I found what felt like good pressure, clamped the hose and started disconnecting the CDV. A little fluid came out as I expected, but as soon as I got it disconnected it started to pour out. I scrambled to find a cup and rags to soak up the fluid and got some splashed in my face in the process. After sprinting to the kitchen to wash my eyes out, all the fluid in the line had come out onto the garage floor. I swapped out the CDV with the Zeckhausen one. I then grabbed the girlfriend and had her sit in the car to help bleed the clutch. At this point I realized I didnt have a wrench the right size of the bleed valve, then later after an hour of failing to bleed the clutch figured out how the brake/clutch fluid reservoir works.

At this point I realized I had to run to go pick up some scuba gear I had being service from a local shop that was about to close. I put the car down, pushed it back into the garage so I could close the door and took off. On the way back I found on my phone that the fluid reservoir takes fluid from the top for the clutch so while it looked full, it had drained to below the hole I needed fluid in. So I stopped at Walmart to pick up some fluid and a syphon since it has a better hose than the one I was using and then Home Depot to get a set of wrenches because I couldn't find anything that said what size the clutch bleed valve is. After getting home and filling the reservoir I finally got the clutch bled and working.

The CDV made a pretty good difference in shifting. I didnt have any 1-2 grinding the whole time I was home after putting this thing in. Lesson learned, clamp the shit out of the hose. Its a lot tougher than I thought it was. This wrapped up everything I could do on my own until the reflector decals came in.

On my way to the beach I dropped the car off at a body shop to have the side skirts installed. One of my best friend's brothers works there so he hooked me up with getting it in and out in only a few days. I told them about the little bit that needed to be cut, dropped off the boxes with the skirts and left. He said he had to do a little work to get the color match perfect, but he did an amazing job. I instantly saw the difference and love the way they look on my car. Definitely not the cheapest or most useful mod, but I love the way these things look. They really should have been on from the factory.

A couple days before I left I got the stickers for the reflectors. I was not happy with the customer service from Dans Decals. I dont recall ever getting a confirmation email from them, or a shipping notice. I emailed them to ask about it and never got a reply. I had pretty much forgotten I ordered them when I got them in the mail. The color was pretty close, but my paint isnt nearly as metallic as the stickers so maybe they'll fade a bit after washing and waxing. It is only noticeable up close. I took these photos yesterday after washing the car, putting the decals on, and moments before leaving to catch my flight back to Germany.

I wanted to post this thread a week ago so people could ask for photos of anything they wanted to see closer but was busy every day I was home. Between the last time I was home and this time I sold my 3000GT, after driving the Z4 again, I made the right choice. I absolutely love this car. I also brought a bunch of my camera equipment with me planning to do a photo shoot of the car, but never got around to doing it. Spent too much time driving the car and enjoying topless weather!

Last edited by Nate4641; 02-10-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Were you able to get the aero side skirts pre-painted?
      06-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

It was great to meet you on Sat. Beautiful car. Those side skirts are bad ass and the light strip in the trunk was impactful even in the middle of a sunny afternoon. Thinking of doing something similar after having seen yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Were you able to get the aero side skirts pre-painted?
they come primered from bmw. Had to take it to a body shop to get color matched. Even if they came in the right color it probably wouldnt match because of the age of the paint on the car.
      06-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
It was great to meet you on Sat. Beautiful car. Those side skirts are bad ass and the light strip in the trunk was impactful even in the middle of a sunny afternoon. Thinking of doing something similar after having seen yours.
It was good meeting you as well. I'll be posting some pics from the autocross later today.
      06-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

You still have the factory warranty?
      06-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
CPO expires next month
      06-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Great! Glad I looked!

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
they come primered from bmw. Had to take it to a body shop to get color matched. Even if they came in the right color it probably wouldnt match because of the age of the paint on the car.
How much did it cost you to get it painted and installed? I'm thinking of doing mine before the end of the summer. Thanks!

Your M looks great with those side skirts!
      06-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
How much did it cost you to get it painted and installed? I'm thinking of doing mine before the end of the summer. Thanks!

Your M looks great with those side skirts!
I got the skirts from getbmwparts.com. I think if you look in the accessories section instead of parts they are listed a little cheaper. The body shop I went to was a little on the high end side of the market so painted and installed it was around $460. All in all thats about $720 total, so not the cheapest cosmetic mod out there. I'm sure you could find less expensive body shops, but I wanted quality work and as perfect of a color match as possible and thats what I got.

Thanks for the compliments. I got a lot of compliments on the car while I was home and I think the skirts might have had something to do with it. Its a subtle change, but looks so much better IMO.
      06-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

sweet bunch of mods for 12 days mate, hat off to ya. when i get leave i can hardly find a bloody spare minute to do anything with my car..
so good on ya

what do you do in germany? Forces?

where a bouts? we used to visit the PX at Ramstein quite often in the day.
      08-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thanks! Now I have to find the right shop to do the skirts. Now, do I do skirts or new rims?
      08-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #13
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

There can't be very many Z4 M Roadsters with a tan top.
      08-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I can't imagine there are, it is a pain to keep clean. Getting it cleaned is one of my big projects next time I go home. According to bmwmdata.com only 160 M roadsters were made with the tan tops. Coincidently, my car isn't one of them. I bought the car used, so I don't know when the top was put on, but because of the tan top, there are no other roadsters in interlagos blue with extended light sepang leather and aluminum trim.
      02-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well it was just over a year, but I finally made my way back home. After the last bit of mods I did to the car, I moved from Germany to Sudan. Finally taking leave again last summer I came home to my family, my girlfriend, and my car. Over the course of that year I had been ordering little bits that sat in my parents' basement waiting to be installed. Unfortunately I was so busy when I came home in July last year I didn't take time to get pictures of all the mods or write up a post about my road trip.

I just went home again in mid-January on my way back to Europe from Sudan and got some pics to go along with everything.

Under the hood
I bought an AFE intake, Cosmos Firewall braces, BMW Strut Brace, and Tekarbon CF Engine Cover. The intake went in no problem and sounds great (with stock exhaust). I did have some issues with the engine cover. The mounting holes didn't line up very well and I was unable to get one of the nuts on which ended up falling under the throttle bodies and is lost. I also got a new M badge for the engine cover as the original one was peeling and wasn't worth transferring from the OEM cover.

The wheels
Ever since seeing Dubsesd's coupe with the MORR VS8.2s I've been in love with that wheel. Being that MORR stopped making that model options were getting slim for finding a set. After Dub sold his I started looking and found another BimmerPost member selling his 3 series with a set. I talked the guy into selling me his wheels off the car and in July I finally got them sent out. Got a good price for the set with rubber and TPMS installed. I wanted to get these wheels in the Brushed finished like Dubsesd, but these were the only ones I could find available. They had a very polished face with more a satin finish on the sides of the spokes. I've never bought wheels from anyone so it was a new experience as far as shipping. We ended up using Greyhound and it was a pretty good price. They came with pretty new Conti DWS on the front and some pretty word down DW on the rear and the TPMS were the right model to go with the Z4 too. I had him order a set of tire totes from TireRack to help protect the wheels a little bit, and he did a better job packing them with cardboard to protect the face. I was able to see a little curb rash in the photos he sent me, which I figured would be normal for buying used wheels. What I didn't see until I got the wheels home and washed all the brake dust off was that 2 of the wheels had cracks in the barrel. They still held air, but it did make me concerned.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to give me the specs on the wheels so I didn't know the offsets, but they ended up being the same as Dubsesd's old wheels. I went with a set of 10mm H&R spacers for the rear and . It took me forever to find a set of clean looking lug bolts too. I looked at going with some regular bolts and putting caps on them, but photos of this looked kinda cheap to me. I figured if I am going to spend good money on wheels, I shouldn't ruin it with crappy looking bolts. I did look into studs too, but again, didn't like the look of them. The problem I ran into with the Gorilla lug bolts is that they weren't easy to find, and expensive. Most websites I looked at were $5 each, but you could pick the size you needed. I instead opted to buy a set of 20 on Amazon for $40 and had a buddy cut them down to the size I needed. It took a while to set up a time with this friend to get into his shop so I ended up not being able to install the wheels until later on in my trip home last June/July.

Enough typing, here’s the photos.
My buddy cutting the wheel bolts.

The only photo I took when home in the summer with the new wheels. Yes the exhaust tips are crooked, I'll get to that

Photos from moments before leaving to come out here to Europe.

Nice FAT rear tires

I also added these really cool wheel locks I got from ECS. They allow me to keep the wheel bolts on, and take them off whenever I actually make time to do a photo shoot.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES260952/

We cut down the front bolts to be the right size and thought the rear would be fine. We were wrong. The rear bolts ended up being a couple MM too long and were slighting rubbing against some parking brake parts. Not enough to lock anything up, but enough that you could hear it rubbing with the windows down.

Cabin
I got my windows tinted locally and what a difference. The tint film I went with was a higher end product that does a lot of UV protection, but doesn't look as dark as other products with the same percentage. I went with a 25% which may not be legal in Maryland, but it looks like a 35% film

I bought a wind deflector from WindBlox. I didn't want to do anything to drill into the leather covers on my roll hoops and the price was pretty nice on this. I thought though from the pictures on the website that the straps would be black, they came grey/silver so I'll have to dye them later. I opted to get it in Lexan and the rubber edge to protect the interior. I also got the nice pouch for it, but I haven't taken it off the car yet! Yes the straps don't look pretty, but honestly I don't care and I can take it off whenever I want. It works pretty well too. In the summer my girlfriend and I took a road trip from Baltimore to Buffalo to NYC and back with some stops along the way. We did quite a bit with the top down and the wind blocker helped out a lot. It doesn't disrupt the rear view mirror at all either which is nice.

One project that just didn't work out was my attempt to have a semi hard-wired dash cam installed in the car. I saw a really good deal on a highly rated camera on Jalopnik and went for it, but I can't remember what model it is now. I bought an add-a-circuit to go into the fuse panel for power to the camera. The plan was to get a cheap USB cable, cut it up and have it wired to the fuse panel for power so that it only turns on when the car is on and doesn't take up the only accessory socket which I use for my phone. It took me forever to get this done because I ended up dropping a couple screws down the side behind the passenger air vent and carpet. After tearing a ton of stuff out of the car something wasn't right and it blew up the camera. It stopped working a day later and I couldn't figure it out. Turns out my crimping skills aren't great and the power cable from the USB came out of the add-a-circuit. I got a replacement camera and just decided to power it from the accessory socket using a 2 USB adapter. I routed the cable through the A pillar and through the dash to keep it hidden though. Now I just have to take the USB thing out of the socket when I'm done driving. Also found a nice right angle USB cable to keep the camera closer to the rear view camera for a cleaner look. The angle of the windshield makes the camera tilt a little to the side, but its not too bad.

I'll have to notch out a little spot for the cables to come through this panel.

Exhaust
I already had the RPI exhaust installed, but when I went home in the summer I decided (with heavy influence from my girlfriend) that I needed to put the stock cans back on for our week long road trip. In the fall, it came out that RPI has silencer inserts available for the exhaust so I ordered a set for the next time I would be home. Going back to the shop where my friend works we drilled the holes for the silencers and I put the RPI back on. I was able to get them set back just far enough that I didn't have to drill through the polished tip. The silencers helped a little bit, drone was cut down some, but they are still pretty damn loud! The silencers are a little noticeable if you're standing behind the car, but next time I go home I plan on taking them out and painting them black.

Summer '14 Trip events
I had about 3 weeks home and was busy almost every day. After getting most of the mods put on right away when I got home, aside from the wheels, I met up with Calichase at a Cars and Coffee event just North of Baltimore. I forgot to take photos, but I'll steal one of his

There was this gorgeous group of Panteras there too

The next day I went to a BMWCCA autocross in Southern Maryland. Had a pretty good time running for fun, nothing serious. One of the officials asked what kind of exhaust I had and was surprised to find out that just a set of mufflers were so ridiculously loud.

My girlfriend and I took a trip up to Buffalo to see my grandmother stopping in Erie to meet a friend along the way. We did a couple hours of top down driving through the mountains of Eastern PA which was pretty cool. A lot of my family came to Buffalo for the 4th of July and some of them I haven't seen in years wanted rides in the Roadster . My girlfriend and I left after a great dinner to catch some fireworks, but ended up running late so when we got close to the show we pull over on the side of the road and put the top down with the seat heaters on and watched from the car.

We also spent a day up in Niagara Falls which was pretty cool. Spending a few summers and my Grandmother's house I've been there a number of times before, but always went to the Canadian side. This was the first time I've been to the US side of the falls.

On our way towards NYC from Buffalo we stopped at the Zippo Museum in Bradford, PA. If you're ever on a trip through this area this is a cool little spot to stop and stretch your legs, even if you aren't a smoker. The company has a pretty cool history and the museum is really neat. Plus they have this super cool car parked outside!

We originally planned on driving through Times Square with the top down just for the experience, but decided not to go into the city. We did go to Red Bank, NJ to go see Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash from the AMC TV show Comic Book Men. None of the guys from the show were there, but they were going to start shooting the next season the day after we were there

On the way home from Jersey we stopped in Philly at the Peterson Auto Museum. We barely made it there before they closed but got to see all the cool stuff inside. Highly recommend this place as well!

Between trips
At the tail end of the summer '14 trip the car's computer was telling me it was time for a service. Given the mileage I figured it was time for Inspection II. In November I had my father drop the car off with At Speed Motorsports. If you're in the Baltimore DC area I can't recommend these guys enough! I stopped by their shop in Jan and was very impressed. They mostly work on Porsches, but there were a handful of BMWs and Lotuses in the shop and even a Diablo. They do everything from services to full on race prep.

I had the car dropped off to get the Inspection II, parking brake checked out, new Conti DWS wheels mounted on the rears, and get the wheels refinished and fixed from the cracks and curb rash. It wasn't cheap, but their service is excellent. The wheels ran into some trouble that their machine's couldn't handle the concave shape, but they got it worked out and they came out looking amazing! Although for as much as it cost I could have spent a little bit more and had the wheels refinished by MORR to have the brushed finish on them . I am also considering trying to plastidip them white to see what it looks like for at least a temporary experiment.

Jan '15 trip
After being in Sudan for longer than I ever cared to be there, I got to go home before coming here to Greece. My girlfriend (now Fiancée) wasn't able to get off of work so this trip was a lot easier on the wallet (aside from the ring ) This time I didn't have too many mods planned and just wanted to relax. Unfortunately the weather didn't care about me and decided to snow a couple of times, but damnit I wasn't about to let some snow and salt stop me from enjoying my car! -Warning- Some people may find the following photos upsetting

These photos were taken before I washed the car and left for the airport so most of the salt should have been removed lol.

Last edited by Nate4641; 06-01-2015 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #16
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Came back home for a little trip and didn't do too much with the car this time. I fixed a broken cup holder, replaced the missing valve cover bolt and got these x3 radio knobs. I like the little bit of accent the chrome gives me. It goes well with the brushed trim. Here is the part from ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/ES259122/

Last edited by Nate4641; 03-27-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #17
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Nate, When will you be back in the states again? It would be great to meet up again!

The car looks fantastic, and I am just itching to drive mine after storing it for the winter. Hopefully the weather breaks for good in the next few weeks. I can't imagine how much you desire to drive yours after such a long time away!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #18
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

the x3 knobs look great! do they just pull off to replace?

sorry to hear about your wheels. its hard to find a nice used set of wheels and someone honest. my sets are always priced higher but with reason. delivered with a fresh application of wax and packaged securely!
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #19
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Sweet wheels buddy, also how did your vanos filter go? Was it clean when you checked?

Good set of mods mate, so you missing Sudan yet? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #20
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
the x3 knobs look great! do they just pull off to replace?

sorry to hear about your wheels. its hard to find a nice used set of wheels and someone honest. my sets are always priced higher but with reason. delivered with a fresh application of wax and packaged securely!
Yeah the knobs were super easy to install. I just gripped the stock ones pretty hard and pulled them off. It was easier than taking off the shift knob. The dial they go onto is round with half or so cut to make a flat edge, like most dials I have seen, so it was just a matter of matching up the flat edge of the knob to the dial and pushing it on.

The wheels are pretty good now. I'm really happy with how they came out after the refinishing. It's still a little too cold to do a full detail, but might squeeze something in before I leave and get the wheels nice and waxed up.
      03-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #21
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Nate, When will you be back in the states again? It would be great to meet up again!

The car looks fantastic, and I am just itching to drive mine after storing it for the winter. Hopefully the weather breaks for good in the next few weeks. I can't imagine how much you desire to drive yours after such a long time away!
I'm not sure when I'll be back. I'm hoping by around July, but a lot of things are up in the air right now. The weather has been really good the last couple days aside from the rain and I've been out driving around with the top down when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Sweet wheels buddy, also how did your vanos filter go? Was it clean when you checked?

Good set of mods mate, so you missing Sudan yet? ;-)
The vanos filter was a really easy thing to do. Although I found out later that it is part of Inspection II, but isn't really all that necessary to replace. Still good peace of mind though.

I am EXTREMELY happy to be out of Sudan! I miss the friends I had there, but not being able to go out and walk around was a huge drag. Plus I only saw like 2 Bimmers the whole time I was there! I found this guy parked in Athens on my first time walking around.

Oh, also forgot another quick story. My girl and I decided to stop at our old High School last weekend for their craft fair and walk around a little bit. When I came back someone had put a brochure for ZSCCA on my windshield. I had left my dash cam running the whole time and saw a woman park her M235i, walk up to my car and put the brochure under my wiper and walk off. It struck me as odd that she went through the effort to do that, but never seemed to "check out" the car. Anyone on here ZSCCA members?

Last edited by Nate4641; 08-14-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Hi Nate, hows the engine cover fit? does it fit singly (bolt holes aside?) would you do that again? it does look awesome