ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #111
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
Is this Benz sold Stateside? A Huge succes in Europe.

Van with S class finish.
I don't think so but they sold the R63 AMG here briefly. The only "minivan" I'd consider.

There were "fewer than 44" sold in the US. I've seen one totaled, so call it 42. Douglas Adams would be proud.
I've followed these on BAT, going for 30-50k depending on mileage. I'd think these will absolutely be highly sought after years from now. I've considered it rather than a new SRT Durango.

Follow on Instagram: BlueM3wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #112
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Calling it now, hellcat powered AWD grand caravan to make mini vans cool again.

I don't understand the stigma but whatever...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #113
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Calling it now, hellcat powered AWD grand caravan to make mini vans cool again.

I don't understand the stigma but whatever...
For me, it's the sacrifice of performance, not straight line performance, but overall performance, braking, handling, etc. That's why I'd say E63 AMG wagon all day and every day. Wagons like that allow you to have your cake and eat it too, massive storage/transportation ability and massive performance. If we are going to throw the peformance/fun factor out the window, then sure, it doesn't matter, buy a van.
      07-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #114
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

That makes sense but not sure OP is wanting to drop 75K+
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #115
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

E63 AMG wagon would definitely be more fun, but the E350 with sport trim is 85% of the E63 for half the price. Less maintenance cost too which may matter over time.
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1246.50
      07-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #116
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

My advice is to buy car seats to do the job rather than a new car to fit cheap car seats

When my wife and I were shopping car seats for our daughter that had to fit in our 1er we came across car seats that could be fit 3 or even 4 across the back seat.

Sure, they're expensive, but not as expensive as buying a new car.

No reason to buy a minivan unless you have more than 3 kids.
      07-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #117
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
For me, it's the sacrifice of performance, not straight line performance, but overall performance, braking, handling, etc. That's why I'd say E63 AMG wagon all day and every day. Wagons like that allow you to have your cake and eat it too, massive storage/transportation ability and massive performance. If we are going to throw the peformance/fun factor out the window, then sure, it doesn't matter, buy a van.
Agreed that it's the mega wagon but at the price point I'd rather buy a run of the mill E Class wagon and a 1M. It's too much car for my wife and quite frankly I'd start picking up speeding tickets again. Price point is a touch high. Trying to keep it below 50k, hopefully in the 30-40 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
E63 AMG wagon would definitely be more fun, but the E350 with sport trim is 85% of the E63 for half the price. Less maintenance cost too which may matter over time.
This was exactly my thought. I'm not looking to maintain an E63 out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
My advice is to buy car seats to do the job rather than a new car to fit cheap car seats

When my wife and I were shopping car seats for our daughter that had to fit in our 1er we came across car seats that could be fit 3 or even 4 across the back seat.

Sure, they're expensive, but not as expensive as buying a new car.

No reason to buy a minivan unless you have more than 3 kids.
Exactly. Wasn't really an issue with the 2 so I'm adjusting! On paper it looked like the narrow styled seats wouldn't quite fit but it looks like there's a solid chance.

I bought a pair for my bigger kids and I think I can fit 2 of these with the infant seat in an E91. The construction and materials are a world ahead of the Gracos we have. I couldn't imagine putting a kid under 2 years old in one of these. Both our toddlers are over 35lbs, so I think we're ok.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #118
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

As a father of three and a car enthusiast I love the topic of this thread!

I don't have the time at the moment to read through all six pages at the moment but wanted to chime in regardless. Apologies if these thoughts have already been mentioned.

Stay the hell away from vans unless it's a VW Syncro. 99.9% of vans are so f'ing ugly and pathetic. It's a billboard that you have just given up on life. And to the comment on this about insecurities - lol.

Any third row choice is a major pain in the ass if you don't have captain seats in the middle row. Only a couple of modern SUVs offer that - off the top of my head Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban and some XC90s (don't believe you can get RDesign with captains in the middle row.) The issue is there is no ease of access to a third row with fixed car seats whether forward or rear facing.

Three across is going to have more to do with the carseats than the actual car. One manufacturer that pushes three across ability, is super high quality/safe and looks decent is Clek. I luck out here as I have quite a spread between kid #1 and 2,3 and don't have to worry about three across.

In terms of actual options that comes down to personal preference. But take a serious look at car seat options that fit your needs before giving up to #vanlife Carseats are expensive but relative to a whole new vehicle, you may be able to spend $1,500 on three new ideal car seats and end of story.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #119
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Looping back with a resolution on this one!

We continued to use our automatic E91 as a daily up until this summer and bought a Macan to step in for family hauling duty. For a *big* vehicle it handles well, feels sporty, and is quite comfortable. Porsche really put together a great package and it fits 3 diono seats across just fine.

Next stop for me is a 718 GT4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0