ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
kk7ds
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

SA677 DSP + OEM iPod interface = no audio?

So, we just got a new-to-us 2006 3.0si. It has the fancy-pants audio system (SA677 on the VIN decoder build sheet), does not have Nav, and it has an iPod dock connector in the center console behind the seats. After we brought it home, I plugged a known-working aux-to-dock adapter into the connection to try it out. I am able to select "CDC" from the radio controls, but I get no actual audio from the speakers (FM and in-dash CD work fine). Also, if I listen to silence for a minute or two, it seems to auto revert back to the radio.

So, I started pulling apart the trunk to find what is at the other end of the dock cable and it is a BMW iPod interface, part number 65-11-0-035-962. It is connected to the 3-pin and 6-pin connections for the would-be CD changer (which we do not have). I've looked up the pinouts for these connectors and it would appear that it's wired up to the bus and the audio L/R/GND connections properly. I've jumpered onto the audio lines with some headphones and I indeed hear the iPod audio, which tells me the dock connector, cable, and ipod interface box are all okay. Since the radio allows me to select CDC, and seems to notice if I pull out the dock connector while it's "playing" from it, it says "No magazine", which tells me the bus connection is okay.

I wasn't able to locate instructions for the -962 part number, but did find them for the -961 version of the iPod interface. The first page says (for the Z4) "not compatible with optional Navigation, DSP Audio (SA677), and/or 6-disc CD changer". Since it connects in the same way as the -962, I'm assuming those limitations may apply to the 962 as well. The instructions also say that this is supposed to be installed in the dash and connected to the same lines, but behind the head unit.

On the left side of the trunk there is a device which I assume could be an amp, which has two connected coaxial cables, and one empty slot. Is this for digital audio from the CD changer? Is that why I'm not hearing the analog audio I know is coming out of the iPod interface? I saw some stuff on the GROM page that made it sound like if you had a 3-pin and 6-pin connector in the back, then the DSP adapter wasn't needed and analog audio should work.

Name:  2018-10-25 13.18.17 copy.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  655.6 KB

So, my questions are:
  1. Should the -962 work with the fancy radio? Did someone pay for this and it has never worked?
  2. Do I need something like a GROM with the DSP adapter because of the coax?
  3. If I moved this to the dash and connected it to the back of the head unit would it help?
  4. The GROM site makes it sound like some coding to enable the CDC is required to "the audio part work", but since I can select CDC on the head unit I assume this is already done...right?
  5. I have not pulled the head unit to see if there are any wires pulled out of the connector that would mean audio isn't making it from the trunk to the head unit. Is this likely? I figure since it was pre-wired for a CDC this is unlikely.

What we really want is just to be able to do bluetooth music from a phone in the car to the factory stereo. We don't need any more iPod integration or really anything too fancy. Any other suggestions (knowing we have the fancy stereo and non-nav) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by kk7ds; 10-25-2018 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Indicate pro audio in the title
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk7ds View Post
  1. Do I need something like a GROM with the DSP adapter because of the coax?
  2. The GROM site makes it sound like some coding to enable the CDC is required to "the audio part work", but since I can select CDC on the head unit I assume this is already done...right?

What we really want is just to be able to do bluetooth music from a phone in the car to the factory stereo. We don't need any more iPod integration or really anything too fancy. Any other suggestions (knowing we have the fancy stereo and non-nav) would be appreciated.
Congrats on the new ride and welcome!

I have an '08 3.0SI with Nav and DSP. I'm not familiar with the factory iPod interface but I know about GROM.

I have my GROM unit installed as a "CD changer" in the trunk. You'll need to purchase the BT adapter in addition to the base unit. The base unit will allow you connect an iPhone/iPod/Android phone via USB. I have mine wired through the center storage with a Lightning/micro-USB cable. I also purchased a DSP adapter but it turns out I didn't need it. There was no hassle returning it.

There is no coding necessary to make it work. It's plug and play. You switch it to CD changer mode and start playing your music. Music functionality--including bluetooth--works with stereo and steering wheel controls.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Random thoughts about GROM and other things:
  • These days with the widespread use of wireless tech, GROM units should come integrated with bluetooth (or at least have the adapters included at no extra cost).
  • Music tags don't scroll across the screen. It only displays the first 10ish characters of text.
  • The USB connection only trickle charges. Best to keep a cigarette lighter charger around when you need to run battery-draining tasks.
  • Since you don't have a Nav, have you considered an aftermarket Apple Carplay/Android Auto single-DIN unit? I know you mentioned you only want BT support, but thought I'd throw out that idea just in case.
      10-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
kk7ds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
Congrats on the new ride and welcome!

I have an '08 3.0SI with Nav and DSP. I'm not familiar with the factory iPod interface but I know about GROM.

I have my GROM unit installed as a "CD changer" in the trunk. You'll need to purchase the BT adapter in addition to the base unit. The base unit will allow you connect an iPhone/iPod/Android phone via USB. I have mine wired through the center storage with a Lightning/micro-USB cable. I also purchased a DSP adapter but it turns out I didn't need it. There was no hassle returning it.

There is no coding necessary to make it work. It's plug and play. You switch it to CD changer mode and start playing your music. Music functionality--including bluetooth--works with stereo and steering wheel controls.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks a lot for those details! The thing that I find really strange is that the existing iPod interface seems to work in the same way (I select CDC and see a track number) but I never hear the Audio. Since I've tested the audio output of that thing, I'm puzzled about why I don't hear my audio.

However, knowing that you have a GROM and it works properly gives me hope that it's something more mundane and less obscure. I have yet to pull the factory radio to check the connections on the back, so maybe something is loose or unplugged and it's as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post

Random thoughts about GROM and other things:
  • These days with the widespread use of wireless tech, GROM units should come integrated with bluetooth (or at least have the adapters included at no extra cost).
  • Music tags don't scroll across the screen. It only displays the first 10ish characters of text.
  • The USB connection only trickle charges. Best to keep a cigarette lighter charger around when you need to run battery-draining tasks.
  • Since you don't have a Nav, have you considered an aftermarket Apple Carplay/Android Auto single-DIN unit? I know you mentioned you only want BT support, but thought I'd throw out that idea just in case.
Yeah, I've heard about the 10-character limit, which is pretty silly, but not the end of the world.

My wife and I are pretty fond of having things look factory stock, so unless there's a problem or we _have_ to replace something, I'd rather it be as integrated as possible. I've done my fair share of aftermarket car audio upgrades and these days I appreciate the simplicity and stock look. I guess I'm getting old

Again, thanks a lot for confirming that this should work. I'll probably pull the radio to check connections and order myself a GROM as that's the obvious end goal.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
You're welcome and good luck!
      11-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
kk7ds
Rep

Okay so, just to close the loop here... I pulled the head unit and sure enough the CD changer cable was unplugged from the head unit. As soon as I seated that the audio started to flow from the rear to the front. Someone had definitely been in there before me doing something so I'm guessing that maybe they were disconnecting some accessory before they sold the car or something similar. Anyway, I should have checked for that sooner but oh well.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0