ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #67
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Which app did you use? There is one called RTA that I'm thinking of using to do as you have (think I've got a mid-bass hole, which can be typical of an MS-8). Also, if it's not too much trouble, what is the procedure you used? I'm a total beginner on using an analyzer to tune. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #68
Abyss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Also, if you are up to trying to recode the amp yourself, you could try that route instead of an amp swap. Outlined in the other thread we have on the topic here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656683
(could skip to post 60 where the problem starts to get easily solved.)
Thanks a lot gtMC. Just bought the cable and will start reading all the tips. This could save me a lot money to get a full custom upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #69
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
My friend finally got his recoded, said it was a big improvement. On a slightly different note, I bought a spectrum analyzer APP for my iPad for $2.99 ............ damn thing works great! 1/3 octave, 1/6, and full analysis. Ran pink noise off a Stereophile test CD through the system and reworked the graphics .............. system sounds much better now. A few months back I put the stock aluminum mid-ranges back in (upgrade over the non-carver system), and I think I prefer them over the stage 1 mids.
^ Nice that your friend did it!. Now, if I only knew what the rest of what you wrote meant... I could probably make more improvements too on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Thanks a lot gtMC. Just bought the cable and will start reading all the tips. This could save me a lot money to get a full custom upgrade.
give it a whirl. Mousitch also posted on the forum about some beginner issues he had, but he ended up getting it done too... perhaps dig up his thread, 'coding drivng me nuts', or somethin like that. good luck, keep us posted.
      01-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #70
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Which app did you use? There is one called RTA that I'm thinking of using to do as you have (think I've got a mid-bass hole, which can be typical of an MS-8). Also, if it's not too much trouble, what is the procedure you used? I'm a total beginner on using an analyzer to tune. Much appreciated.
Do an app search with your iPad or iPhone using the words "spectrum analyzer" .............. it should give a list of apps. The one I bought was by Onyx, titled "Spectrum Analyzer". You'll need to play pink noise through your system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise. If you don't have a test CD that contains pink noise you can probably get one at Radio Shack or download some pink noise and burn a CD. Adjust the volume to a decent but not overpowering level and make sure there is no other noise present to screw up the analyzer. The pink noise is equal energy (sound) across the full bandwidth of 20hz to 20,000 hz. I sit in the drivers seat and hold the ipad at about head level or slightly lower to measure the frequency response of the system. You can "freeze" the signal so you can see the peaks and nulls in the system, then attempt to correct it with the EQ. Obviously with only 7 bands you can't get the level of correction you'd get with more bands, but I was able to get a really flat reaponse, with the caveat that you really don't want totally flat in a car........... road noise can suck the low end out if the system is totally flat. In my car I ended up with this:

80hz = flat
200hz = -1
500hz = -4
1000hz = flat
2000hz = flat
5000hz = flat
12000hz = flat to +2

Those are for stock speakers (Carver system). I have JL Audio Silk Dome Tweeters in there now, and they are more efficient than the factory tweets, so I had to dial back the 5000hz and 12000hz EQ. Even with the 200hz down 1 and the 500hz down 4, the system graphs out hot from about 40hz to 160hz, which is preferred in my opinion to overcome the car environment. Oh, one last thing, I tweaked this with the top down. I'l probably go back and do it again and save the curve for the top up in another of the available 3 memory options.

This is one curve Crutchfield's experts recommend:
Attached Images

Last edited by antennahead; 01-17-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0