ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #23
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Took one of the subs out yesterday and did some measurements. Stock opening is about 5-3/4", depth of the stock sub is about 3-1/2 inches. However, the stock sub has a surface flange that extends out the front to meet with some plastic lattice work on the back of the stock grille.

I just ordered a JL 6w3v34 and I'm going to see if I can "make" it fit. I'll have to mount it on a ring to get the back clearance in the enclosure and then trim some of that plastic from the stock grille.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #24
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post

As for the woofers, I understand that it's a PITA to get them out due to all the plastic trim, and they may be a weird size. What we need is someone to do a step by step for getting to them and measurements of them. I'll do it, but probably not until winter.
Let me know when you're going to start doing this. I'm going to either rip things apart and STOP the bass-rattles, or replace my drivers. I tend to run Dynaudio and Vifa components in my cars which improves the sound/imaging IMMENSELY.

For a THX-certified system with Carver drivers... you'd THINK that it'd sound better than this. Those are/were big names in the industry.

Anyhow... keep me in the loop on this. Maybe someone can comment if they've undertaken any audio upgrades/tweaks?
Well, Dynaudio and Vifa have ALWAYS been better than Carver. Two of the premier brands in DIY speaker building for at least 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
You guys need to read the thread "Working with Carver Subs" in this section, if you haven't already. The member doing all the amp work with the dealer has a lot of good info, and based on how my roadster sounds versus my friends Coupe, same year, I'd say he is correct that there is a coding issue with the Coupes that ruins the sound and bass. Page 3 has most of the results. My friend and I met to do some coding in my car, and compared stereos, both 2007 M models with Nav, only difference is roadster versus coupe, he was blown away by how my system sounded versus his. I really think that "Working with Carver Subs" thread is onto something.

John
Great info! I've been reading for a while now about how bad the bass is and have been really wondering if my ears are that bad! I have a 2006 M roadster. All DSP is off and I only have a tiny bit of boost at 80 Hz and mine sounds really good with good source material.

I was really confused with these comments as I use top line Shure earphones with lossless music in my iPhone when on the road. At home I listen through Klipsch laScalas with high end electronics. At this, the bass in the M ain't perfect but it ain't bad either.
Appreciate 0