ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Video - Thunderhill 5 mile in the Z4M

Pretty new to the forums and just picked up a 2007 Z4M coupe a month ago. Took it out for a trackday at the Thunderhill 5 mile course to get properly acquainted!

GoPro footage compilation from the day, excuse the rough cut its only my 2nd time tracking a car and fairly new to the GoPro as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
excellent vid!
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
excellent vid!
Thanks! Running a fine balance between enjoying the driving and making an engaging video. Cameras have fallen off before so I got my footage and put those suckers away ASAP
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

awesome video! thanks
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Damn fine video!

How's the car stack up to the FRS on track?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:59 AM   #6
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
That's a great video!
      11-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Damn fine video!

How's the car stack up to the FRS on track?
Thanks! Last year I took my modified FR-S (full exhaust, tune, wider/grippier tires) out on the West Thunderhill track. On the tight and technical side the FR-S is a formidable foe, with neutral handling and somewhat better seating position. That being said, the FA20 engine in the FR-S requires more work to stay in the powerband and extract its full potential. It simply lacks the grunt necessary to power out of long sweepers into straightaways.

The Z4M was phenomenal on the track. I didn't approach it's limits as the car and platform are new to me, but the S54 engine is a monster and the brakes are vastly improved over the stock FR-S. Lap times were night and day between the two cars, but I have also improved as a driver.

Last edited by 86Zed; 11-04-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
GTA Z4MC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Red face

Great Video
Looks like a fun track.
Terrific. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Dol View Post
Thanks! Last year I took my modified FR-S (full exhaust, tune, wider/grippier tires) out on the West Thunderhill track. On the tight and technical side the FR-S is a formidable foe, with neutral handling and somewhat better seating position. That being said, the FA20 engine in the FR-S requires more work to stay in the powerband and extract its full potential. It simply lacks the grunt necessary to power out of long sweepers into straightaways.

The Z4M was phenomenal on the track. I didn't approach it's limits as the car and platform are new to me, but the S54 engine is a monster and the brakes are vastly improved over the stock FR-S. Lap times were night and day between the two cars, but I have also improved as a driver.
Thanks for the FR-S data and comparison. I've driven a few FR-S's on test drives, and my impression was it would do well on the west track. Balance, neutral handling, a bit of forgiveness--much more Miata-like if you will--and the track plays to its strengths. But the engine was a bit lackluster and underwhelming in what seemed like a great and well sorted chassis.

But yeah, it does come down to the driver and driving skill. Skill always > car. Combine the two--it's going to show in lap times. I think the lack of power in the FR-S and lower braking power probably forced you to work to eek out the best in that car in terms of power and braking technique and conservation (which means best of you as a driver), and moving into a more powerful car with better brakes let you utilize those skills. My two cents at least--the FR-S trained you to do more with less, then adding in the "more" car piece let you maximize both.

No matter what we call it it's fun! Nice video--very engaging and I love the mood and scene it sets. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive more over the next 12 months and I'll see you at Thill or Laguna!
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

very cool lil vid, love the track, looks like that one is a lot of fun and very engaging.

i also love the outside pan shots, super cool.

thanks for letting us shotgun the ride.