ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #45
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
I was able to do the reprogramming and get the E85 settings into my M Coupe. It sounds MUCH better now. I will write up a thread on how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #46
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Quote:
I was able to do the reprogramming and get the E85 settings into my M Coupe. It sounds MUCH better now. I will write up a thread on how to do it.
Please do, very interested. DSP has been disappointing for me compared to the Logic 7 I had in my 550i and the Carver system in my earlier Z4 3.0.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #47
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

At yesterday's drive we were able to compare 3 options: Stock DSP, Bavsound DSP upgrade, and DSP roadster flash. IMO Bavsound added some of the missing detail to the mids & highs, but treaded the line of being brash. Could be the more open mid/highs revealed some of the faults of the source and/or amp. The flash on the other hand introduced a pretty effective EQ curve which boosted up the bass & treble. I'd say both were equally effective, but in different ways, but were still far from desirable, and I would never combine the 2, because the highs would certainly get annoying quickly. This reinforces my hunch that the whole system falls short. Anyone wanting to make it more listenable with minimal investment should pursue the DSP flash over the Bavsound upgrade. Beyond that, I think complete replacement is the way to go. I'm doing some pricing & exploring options with local shops now. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by funkle; 05-04-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #48
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I've seen that -with inpa- you can switch loudness on and off (at least for the pre-fl roadster models). That is an option that is not found in the flipscreen menu structure I think.
Default setting on my roadster was off btw. Switching it on gave too much bass&treble with my eq settings, so I left it off. Maybe something to experiment with in the future.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #49
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
At yesterday's drive we were able to compare 3 options: Stock DSP, Bavsound DSP upgrade, and DSP roadster flash. IMO Bavsound added some of the missing detail to the mids & highs, but treaded the line of being brash. Could be the more open mid/highs revealed some of the faults of the source and/or amp. The flash on the other hand introduced a pretty effective EQ curve which boosted up the bass & treble. I'd say both were equally effective, but in different ways, but were still far from desirable, and I would never combine the 2, because the highs would certainly get annoying quickly. This reinforces my hunch that the whole system falls short. Anyone wanting to make it more listenable with minimal investment should pursue the DSP flash over the Bavsound upgrade. Beyond that, I think complete replacement is the way to go. I'm doing some pricing & exploring options with local shops now. I'll keep you posted.
I found the OEM aluminum mids (Carver DSP system) better to my tastes than the Bavsound mids. I think the OEMs are smoother and as detailed. As mentioned earlier, I upgraded just the tweeters, then set the graphics with pink noise and a spectrum analyzer....... the upper 2 frequencies on the graphics I had to lower quite a bit to smooth out the system. I think just replacing the tweets and analyzing the system is the way to go, short of a real upgrade like a line level summing product and new amps and speakers, or a new head unit. I like the integration of the factory system with the nav, so if I did anything I'm sure it would be a summing/EQ product.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #50
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I found the OEM aluminum mids (Carver DSP system) better to my tastes than the Bavsound mids. I think the OEMs are smoother and as detailed. As mentioned earlier, I upgraded just the tweeters, then set the graphics with pink noise and a spectrum analyzer....... the upper 2 frequencies on the graphics I had to lower quite a bit to smooth out the system. I think just replacing the tweets and analyzing the system is the way to go, short of a real upgrade like a line level summing product and new amps and speakers, or a new head unit. I like the integration of the factory system with the nav, so if I did anything I'm sure it would be a summing/EQ product.
By any chance, did you do this exercise with the stock system? I'd be interested in your EQ settings. Right now I think my E86->E85 reflash is good enough for me. I realized recently that this Coupe isn't that quiet, there's a lot of road noise compared to my Convertible, because the trunk can transmit all kinds of noise. I have a trunk carpet on order and some Dynamat (actually RAAMmat - great stuff) in the garage waiting to cut my fingers up.
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #51
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By any chance, did you do this exercise with the stock system? I'd be interested in your EQ settings. Right now I think my E86->E85 reflash is good enough for me. I realized recently that this Coupe isn't that quiet, there's a lot of road noise compared to my Convertible, because the trunk can transmit all kinds of noise. I have a trunk carpet on order and some Dynamat (actually RAAMmat - great stuff) in the garage waiting to cut my fingers up.
Unfortunately I didn't EQ it with the OEM tweets, just after I replaced them. I also did this with the top down, as that's how I do most of my driving and listening. The final curve would most likely not be a good match for the coupe. Unfortunately BMW totally changed the factory settings for the coupe compared to the roadster as you well know ....... how they came up with those final settings is a real mystery
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #52
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Guys, I started a thread here for DSP coding:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=982412
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #53
Ale J
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupè

Is possible to make the operation DSP E86-> E85 at a BMW dealer? I have great difficulty in making the upgrade alone! Thanks!

Ale

Last edited by Ale J; 12-15-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #54
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale J View Post
Is possible to make the operation DSP E86-> E85 at a BMW dealer? I have great difficulty in making the upgrade alone! Thanks!

Ale
I highly doubt the dealer would be able to do that, I don't believe the software they are using will allow it. We're are doing this with NCSExpert, which is an engineering tool and allows much more flexibility than the dealer software. The files are are available for you to change it yourself with a laptop and $15 cable. Maybe someone local to you that knows NCSExpert can help you?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #55
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I must be deaf as my stock z4 mcoupe sounds great.
Appreciate 0