ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #45
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Seems to me I remember reading somewhere that the Focal 4" mids fit ok, but I can't say that with 100% conviction.
I think that's mentioned in this post http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476440

The CDT 3" drivers will fit. I also found a JL audio component system with a 4" mid that is pretty shallow http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=599

Hmmm....more to think about.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #46
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

do you guys think if i get that dql8 and the focal with shallow magnet would be good enough?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #47
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdoan86 View Post
do you guys think if i get that dql8 and the focal with shallow magnet would be good enough?
The DQL-8 doesn't have any on-board amplification, so you would need to add one to your solution. I also don't believe it has been confirmed that the mid from the focal will fit. (we could really use a confirmation on all of the speaker cavity dimensions for the FAQ)

(EDIT)
I now see that the focal Polyglass 165 VR3 set has a shallow mid with a depth that comes out to right about 1.75". Should definitely fit. Problem may be in mounting it though, since it has tabs for each mounting point and not a constant edge to drill a new hole in (it's never easy..hmmpf!)

Last edited by elerner61; 08-18-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #48
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdoan86 View Post
DQL-8 plus a good amp plus the Focal 3 way speakers (6 1/2 in the floor panels, 4 " mids and tweets) plus JL Audio 6W3v3 subs should be a great system!

John
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #49
elerner61
Major
Rep

Ok, so lot's of other things have gotten in the way of my installing the JBL MS-8. But I'm done with what I'll call "Phase One" now.

For starters, I wanted to see how the MS-8 sounds using just its on-board amps and using the stock Top Hifi 3-ways in the fronts. I didn't even bother connecting the subs or the rears because they're useless (in general, and the subs can't be driven off of a non-BMW amp).

So, how does it sound? Very nice. It has all the volume you'd ever want in the car. The front kick panel drivers deliver some nice bottom end and the time correction and equalization that the MS-8 does is semi-magical. Focus on vocals is front and center and the imaging is very nice, lots of musical details seem to come from outside the car.

That said, it has further revealed the weakness of the audio quality of the FM tuner. It stinks. Some stations sound ok, but for many stations the heavy bottom end they pump up just comes shining through. I've got a separate EQ "favorite" on the MS-8 that I use when I play the tuner but I get better sound from my Acura TSX's stock tuner/setup. That's ok for me though, I don't listen to the radio a lot.

Bottom line: is it worth it to spend just the $500 (not including installation) on the MS-8 for the Z4? I don't think so, certainly not for most people. The reason I say this is that I'm sure that spending at least the additional $300 more for the Bavarian Soundwerks upgrade coupled with the MS-8 would really sound nice. So you wouldn't really be able to "just" spend $500, it's at least $800. It would be like having just one potato chip.

For phase 2 I plan on installing my CDT separates in the front (I picked up a pair of 3" ES-3 mid's for the doors) and see how they sound running off the MS-8's internal amps just for kicks. Then I'll add the external amp.

The install does look somewhat "redneck" in the picture. It just didn't make sense for me to button it up 100% when I'll just have to get back in there to add the external amp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #50
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Never?? Well then I guess I'll just scrub my entire upgrade plan. Thanks for helping me see the light.
You're joking right? you're willing to toss your whole plans of an install based on the very foolish conclusion drawn by some (entirely unknown) random guy on the internet? wow.

Im guessing you must not try at much of anything in life now do you?
      10-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #51
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
You're joking right? you're willing to toss your whole plans of an install based on the very foolish conclusion drawn by some (entirely unknown) random guy on the internet? wow.

Oh the perils of not reading the entire thread before posting.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #52
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post

At great risk of being labeled foolish again - I think it all comes down to your definition of "audiophile" quality sound.

I don't think I ever discouraged anyone and that was not the intent of my comment - just my opinion that any car - especially a roadster will never be able to reach that level of sound reproduction while cruising down the road. I am sure when it's all said and done it will sound damn good - but audiophile grade???
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #53
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
At great risk of being labeled foolish again - I think it all comes down to your definition of "audiophile" quality sound.

I don't think I ever discouraged anyone and that was not the intent of my comment - just my opinion that any car - especially a roadster will never be able to reach that level of sound reproduction while cruising down the road. I am sure when it's all said and done it will sound damn good - but audiophile grade???
Back in 1990 I had a 300ZX, the last body style before they discontinued the Z until the 350. It had T-tops, and when both were removed it was pretty open, not as much as the Z4, but still open. I had a $3,000 aftermarket system in that car that was audiophile quality tops out at 70 MPH. It was so clean and had so much headroom that you could crank it to overcome road noise and it sounded marvelous. I'm not into spending that kind of money now on a car sound system. I think the Top Hi Fi/Carver system sounds pretty good now that I have upgraded the mids and tweets with the BSW stage one system. It can't quite play loud enough top down at highway speeds for my liking, but everything else around town is great.

John
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #54
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

oddly enough I owned a Nissan 350Z with about the same amount into the sound system. I probably have about $5000 invested into the Z4 right now and it sounds good, but it sure isn't a match for my home set up with Thiel surround system with Velodyne subs.....its does sound good but not close to audiophile since the road noise blocks certain frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #55
elerner61
Major
Rep

One man's "audiophile" is another man's "boombox". It's all pretty subjective, but yes I certainly do agree that a convertible is not the best environment. Personally, I wonder if I'd be better off having tin ears yet still enjoy the music as much as I do with my current set of ears. It certainly would be easier and cheaper!

That said, I was listening to some Susan Tedeschi on the way home tonight (raining, top up) and I was very happy with how it sounded and I STILL haven't even swapped out the drivers yet (life continues getting in the way).

Interested in what you've spent $5K on if you don't mind indulging me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #56
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One man's "audiophile" is another man's "boombox". It's all pretty subjective, but yes I certainly do agree that a convertible is not the best environment. Personally, I wonder if I'd be better off having tin ears yet still enjoy the music as much as I do with my current set of ears. It certainly would be easier and cheaper!

That said, I was listening to some Susan Tedeschi on the way home tonight (raining, top up) and I was very happy with how it sounded and I STILL haven't even swapped out the drivers yet (life continues getting in the way).

Yea, I had to drive home "top up" yesterday and today myself, and with the adjustments I've made to the EQ and the BSW stage one speaker upgrade, the system sounded very good. With a little more clean power I'd probably be happy at highway speeds as well
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #57
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I don't frequent this forum too much - I have had a few iterations - but the latest set up is as follows:

- Alpine HU (can't remember the model number) - did this a while ago but with iPod, bluetooth (doesn't work in a 'vert too well), Sat, HD. w/ BMW correct trim.

- Alpine sound processor

- twin JLA 500W mono amps for subs (under rear package shelf)

- twin enclosed JLA 10" W3V3 (-2) wired separately to the mono amps - and custom fit under package shelf to fit and prevent unwanted vibrations (factory subs removed and trashed)

- JLA 4 Channel amp (used the factory amp for a while but it eventually blew)

- full dynomat in trunk, and doors

- JLA 2-way in foot well and A piller (door speakers disconnected) Sorry cannot remember actual model numbers.

Full monster wire, capacitors for bass handling (to be safe).

doesn't sound like much but it all does add up to around that number - I did not do all of the install - got tired of working some stuff, so there is labor in there as well. I did the HU, sub amps and processor. I have a 2003 so after the amp blew (while showing off with Telarc recordings 1812 Overture :Erich Kunzel) I decided to let a local shop take care of the rest. I am actually surprised it blew during that track but it is very dynamic.

Don't get me wrong: I love the sound system.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #58
spr_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

I re did everything in mine... the previous owner did a horrible job on the sound system.

here is the previous owners wiring...

Most of my system is by Alpine, a brand i have trusted for a long time.
Added the Bluetooth and the little red box is to adapt the steering wheel controls.
The head unit is really made for ipod, i had the original in my old car and loved it. The mids are 4" (100cm).

Not pictured is the PDX-F4 amp that i'm using to power the 6.5" components and the JL 6w3v3 Subs, the 4 mids are powered by the deck.

Almost every panel in the car taken off, just shy of 17 hours of my time to install, paid a shop to do the steering wheel controls, front kick panel speakes
with tweeters located in stock locations and to wire up the bluetooth, 3 hours. Almost a full 100 feet of wire went into this install to get to all the speakers...

Started raining so i had to improvise, i should have done this at my condo in the underground parking instead.
Note the awesome random license plate i happened to get when i registered the car!

The original owner cut the factory harness so i had to solder in the new one in the dash, kind of a pain.

head unit lights up blue or red. kind of matches the interior lighting.

for the 4" speakers in the back, these alpines fit great, two top screws in the factory holes and the two bottom tabs drilled into the cars metal with self taping screws.

The door speakers i used two original mouting holes then cut up a full bracket that came with the speaker to make a little holder for the third location.
Seen on the left and cut the 2 tabs from the speaker. They are all sealed with 2 way foam tape.

The original speaker grills will need a bit of tweaking for bothe the front and rears... i will be bumping them out since the tweeters touch the grills if installed rightr now.

The subs were mounted on the factory metal plates, 3 of the 8 screws and bolts for this sub could not be installed because of clearance.

Always use proper connectors!

I'm very pleased with the result. parts and the 3 hours labour came to less than $2000 CND.

i copied this from another forum i post in... this is my car...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #59
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr_bimmer View Post
I re did everything in mine... the previous owner did a horrible job on the sound system.

Not pictured is the PDX-F4 amp that i'm using to power the 6.5" components and the JL 6w3v3 Subs, the 4 mids are powered by the deck.

The subs were mounted on the factory metal plates, 3 of the 8 screws and bolts for this sub could not be installed because of clearance.

I'm very pleased with the result. parts and the 3 hours labour came to less than $2000 CND.

i copied this from another forum i post in... this is my car...
Very nicely done!

How are you liking the JL subs? I've read from other posts that the volume of the OEM enclosures are pretty close to perfect if you seal up the port that connects the two enclosures. Did you seal it up or keep them connected?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #60
spr_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Very nicely done!

How are you liking the JL subs? I've read from other posts that the volume of the OEM enclosures are pretty close to perfect if you seal up the port that connects the two enclosures. Did you seal it up or keep them connected?
hmmm, i didnt know those ports actually connected the two enclosures... I didn't seal them but they sound really good, my system is very balanced, everything sounds lound and crisp, even with the top down.

Bass is noticable and you can feel it, just not the way you would feel two 10"s in the back of another car...

I'm quite happy with my system, the only thing i would change at this point is trying to addapt a 2din head unit instead... i've seem people try so i might eventually try it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #61
elerner61
Major
Rep

Glad to hear the two JL-6W3V3's sound good. I test fitted one in the stock sub location (it dropped in fine, had to Dremel the inside of the grill a little though) and have another on order. Completing this system has been delayed the last couple of weeks as I've spent some more time fine tuning the EQ settings on the MS-8 and also debated on how to power the mids and mid-bass in the doors and the subs (I'm going to power the tweets in the doors off the amp in the JBL-MS8). I finally scored a 5 channel ARC XDI 805 at a great price (almost half off list). With my daughter's help, I did cover the Amp rack so I've gotten rid of the lumberjack bare wood look.

I should be able to do some work this weekend. Very psyched! When I'm done, I'd say my only negative against the system will be the FM fidelity from the BMW tuner. Maybe Pandora on a "soon to be aquired" iPhone will take care of that!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #62
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Glad to hear the two JL-6W3V3's sound good. I test fitted one in the stock sub location (it dropped in fine, had to Dremel the inside of the grill a little though) and have another on order. Completing this system has been delayed the last couple of weeks as I've spent some more time fine tuning the EQ settings on the MS-8 and also debated on how to power the mids and mid-bass in the doors and the subs (I'm going to power the tweets in the doors off the amp in the JBL-MS8). I finally scored a 5 channel ARC XDI 805 at a great price (almost half off list). With my daughter's help, I did cover the Amp rack so I've gotten rid of the lumberjack bare wood look.

I should be able to do some work this weekend. Very psyched! When I'm done, I'd say my only negative against the system will be the FM fidelity from the BMW tuner. Maybe Pandora on a "soon to be aquired" iPhone will take care of that!
elerner61, looking forward to the update, been following your posts in the other thread about the subs as well.

spr_bimmer, thanks for the info, I've been leaning towards those 6' JL's and after reading your post I feel much more confident about them.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #63
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post

I've read a post or two from people who played around with different enclosure sizes for the JL6W6V3 and said that .18 cubic ft worked even better than the .15 recommended by JL. .36 cubic ft = 10.14 liters. Even better
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #64
elerner61
Major
Rep

Boy, do I work slowly. I guess I'm either really careful, or just...slow (I do dislike troubleshooting car audio). I spent about 5 hours over the weekend installing the new amp. on the amp rack/board I made (first one ever) routing cables etc... With the amp now handling the front mids and front mid-bass it really sounds great!!! I knew the on-board amps of the MS-8 were not enough (rated at 20W/channel) but they were playing loud enough. The bottom end from the mid-bass' is just real punch now.

As far as the subs....haven't gotten to them yet. I've got a slight alternator whine I need to trace out first. I hope it's just an RCA cable that I've got to either re-route or get a better one.

More to come...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #65
elerner61
Major
Rep

Ok, system is now 95% complete. I just posted a full write up with pics in a new thread.
Appreciate 0