ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2023, 06:41 AM   #23
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I documented my PCD trip from this past February here:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1993744

If you're planning to do a road trip anyway, PCD is an excellent way to start off the process. You do need to make sure everything is squared away prior to your trip however - also I'm not sure why your dealer can't issue your registration. There's been numerous examples of people ordering from out of state dealers and picking up at PCD. In fact that's pretty common practice on models where allocations are limited and you need to cast a wider net.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #24
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
The Performance Center will NOT issue temp plates.
Why your dealership can't issue you temp CA plates and either do your OR registration for you or give you the documents to do it yourself is baffling to me.

I have a custom-paint M3 coming for a customer in Utah who is doing PC delivery and we are doing his registration for him and supplying VA temp tags to the PC for his delivery.

I just completed a PCD for a customer on a Z4. He picked the car up last week. We supplied VA temp tags. Customer lives in VA but registration will be in MT—same tax issues. You're buying a car. Taxes are for the state in which you register it. Can't believe that shipping from SoCal to OR is less than what you save by not using your local dealership.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2023, 12:50 AM   #25
deano17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i4 e40, ‘24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Why your dealership can't issue you temp CA plates and either do your OR registration for you or give you the documents to do it yourself is baffling to me.

I have a custom-paint M3 coming for a customer in Utah who is doing PC delivery and we are doing his registration for him and supplying VA temp tags to the PC for his delivery.

I just completed a PCD for a customer on a Z4. He picked the car up last week. We supplied VA temp tags. Customer lives in VA but registration will be in MT—same tax issues. You're buying a car. Taxes are for the state in which you register it. Can't believe that shipping from SoCal to OR is less than what you save by not using your local dealership.
A couple things.

I assumed he couldn’t do the registration, but I didn’t directly ask. But he did say SC could do the temp registration. He might have meant he does it and PCD hands it out like you mentioned. I’m not sure. He also said they don’t do a lot of PCDs being in CA.

Dealer told me in order to not pay CA sales tax, I had to take possession in my state. Otherwise, I’d drive to SoCal and pick up. It’s $800 to ship to Bend. Local dealer was not as responsive on a previous car I wanted to order. So I ordered an i4 from another Oregon dealer and got a little discount (1.5% off). However, he didn’t get any allocations for the 50e, was not responsive about getting me the individual colors and a couple other unanswered questions. That lead me to SoCal, where my ex neighbor is a GM. He provided me with a discount that more than covers the shipping and the discount I was getting from Oregon dealer. Let’s say it’s more than worth the effort considering the lack of deals on new car orders right now.

Are you suggesting I should be able to pick up the car in CA with a temp CA registration, pay no CA sales tax, drive it back to Oregon and register it and pay the OR 1/2% sales tax then? I’ve read a few other posts here that say in CA you cannot take possession without paying tax. You may be able to get a refund on it later.

Last edited by deano17; 04-03-2023 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:35 PM   #26
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:

Thank you for saying you're baffled as to why the CA dealer can't issue temp plates and for explaining what you're able to do for your out of state customers. It seems like there are other dealers that offer to sell to other states without actually knowing how to do so.
I just recently purchased a new BMW from a CA dealer and had it shipped to WA. The shipper left it at a Home Depot parking lot and the dealer did not provide any temp plates/registration. In WA you can get a $539 fraud ticket(and 364 days in jail) for driving without plates or registration. When I contacted the dealer and explained the issue it was clear they had no idea how to sell a car to someone in WA.

The level of knowledge and customer service you displayed should be what everyone looks for if they are doing something as complicated as out of state and/or PCD.

deano17 I shared my recent experience as a heads up. Make sure the dealer in CA knows how to register your car in OR and provide you with proof/temp permit. I'm guessing OR has a process/requirements for that, I'm only familiar with WA laws.
My mistake was assuming the dealer knew how to correctly sell and ship to my state....
Make sure you know all the right questions to ask. Don't want to have a car delivered that you can't legally drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #27
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
Thank you for saying you're baffled as to why the CA dealer can't issue temp plates and for explaining what you're able to do for your out of state customers. It seems like there are other dealers that offer to sell to other states without actually knowing how to do so.
I just recently purchased a new BMW from a CA dealer and had it shipped to WA. The shipper left it at a Home Depot parking lot and the dealer did not provide any temp plates/registration. In WA you can get a $539 fraud ticket(and 364 days in jail) for driving without plates or registration. When I contacted the dealer and explained the issue it was clear they had no idea how to sell a car to someone in WA.

The level of knowledge and customer service you displayed should be what everyone looks for if they are doing something as complicated as out of state and/or PCD.

deano17 I shared my recent experience as a heads up. Make sure the dealer in CA knows how to register your car in OR and provide you with proof/temp permit. I'm guessing OR has a process/requirements for that, I'm only familiar with WA laws.
My mistake was assuming the dealer knew how to correctly sell and ship to my state....
Make sure you know all the right questions to ask. Don't want to have a car delivered that you can't legally drive.
He says they ship out of state all the time. But I have a lot of time, so I’ll make sure I understand the process. He’s delivering to my home. So unless I need to take the car to DMV to register, I will register it right away before I even drive it. And I’m pretty sure we’ve decided against PCD due to the distance.
      04-03-2023, 08:45 PM   #28
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
There are companies most dealers use to handle title work in all states. Some dealers just give you the MSO and let you do it yourself but that won't work if you have a lien. I'm in a small town at a small BMW store and we do this all the time. Seems like half of our customers own property near Trump in Florida to avoid our state property tax and we simply hand their title work to our titling company and let them deal with the hassle that is the Florida DMV. Or South Carolina where the taxes are so little and capped that it's worth having a residence there. If we can handle it, your big Cali dealerships should be able to figure it out.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2023, 11:41 PM   #29
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There are companies most dealers use to handle title work in all states. Some dealers just give you the MSO and let you do it yourself but that won't work if you have a lien. I'm in a small town at a small BMW store and we do this all the time. Seems like half of our customers own property near Trump in Florida to avoid our state property tax and we simply hand their title work to our titling company and let them deal with the hassle that is the Florida DMV. Or South Carolina where the taxes are so little and capped that it's worth having a residence there. If we can handle it, your big Cali dealerships should be able to figure it out.
Thanks…no lien. I think I can figure it out. Doesn’t seem that complicated. I’ll chance the 3 mile drive to DMV without registration.
      04-09-2023, 07:58 PM   #30
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano17 View Post
Thanks…no lien. I think I can figure it out. Doesn’t seem that complicated. I’ll chance the 3 mile drive to DMV without registration.
It gets tricky. I got the M5 fever in 2019. Local Portland dealerships weren't that helpful, even the one that I had done 6 deals with. Found the car in San Diego. I learned that if buy it and you drive it off the dealership - BaM! sales tax due, very painful for us Oregon buyers. So I looked into having my dealership make a play for it, to no avail. SD was offering 9k off MSRP. However, if you lease it, no problem with the tax, there is none. But I wanted to buy because it was going to be my forever car (yeah, right).

So, I checked into shipping, flew down on Alaska for 6 bucks (miles) one Sunday morning, to test drive it and buy it. BMW was also running a $5,000 lease incentive at the time (so now there is $14,000 coming off MSRP) and by the time my 2 hour flight was over I had worked out the approx. lease numbers in my head and decided to lease it and drive it home up the glorious PCH. They gave me a temporary sticker. I was home the next day, ready for 1200 mile break-in service and then just got an Oregon temporary sticker until the plates came.

If you are worried about driving your car without the sticker, why can't you just take another car to the DMV to get it. They are probably not going to come out and look at it anyway.

BTW, the M5 was gone in 17 months - some forever car.

As a side note, my dream is to to do a PCD if we get an X5 for the wife next time and then hit Nova Scotia before heading back to Portland.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 04:08 PM   #31
VAcurler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i

I picked up my F23 two years ago. I got temp CO license plates put on the car at pickup. They were given to me by the selling dealer here and (I think) I brought them with me.

Biggest thing I wish I'd done differently - if you are getting PPF done on your car - make arrangements to have it done in SC. Don't drive 1000+ miles home because you WILL get paint chips that you have to deal with when installing the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 07:42 AM   #32
RecMoto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [0.00]
If you can do a PCD... do it! Amazing time / experience you wont forget. Just picked mine up January 30th and it was a blast.
Appreciate 0