ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
veryhuman
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5I

Shifting correctly?

I have a newbie question regardin driving the manual z4. I have no previous experience driving manual vehicles (just lots of Youtube videos...).

At gear 1 and reverse, I'm not able to fully release the clutch (foot off pedal). At gear 1, I find myself shifting to gear 2 while the clutch is still half depressed. (example of clutch action: fully depressed -> mid depressed -> fully depressed (shift to second gear) -> release graduately)

And for reverse, I can never fully release the clutch (foot off pedal), because I'm not used to navigating at that speed in the parking lot going reverse..

So my question is, is riding the clutch (?) like this normal?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster

if that's only for parking your car then it should be ok, I think
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

The only time you'd really stay on the clutch the way I think you're describing is in traffic or parking like shiyan said. Depending on how you're driving (sporty, sunday grandma, drag racing, average, etc) is gonna depend on how you use the clutch.

The way I usually shift, as I'm putting the clutch in, about half way I take it out of gear, and as I reach about 3/4 clutch I put it in the next gear and slowly release it. If you're going for a hard launch, you probably just need to go harder on the gas and drop the clutch completely when you put it in gear. But if you try it when you don't have the RPMs up, the CDV will make you look stupid

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
That is normal. I do it the most stuck in traffic jams My clutch foot gets tired for constantly depressing and releasing.

Definitely better than going out of your comfort zone speed wise and putting yourself and your vehicle at risk
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
It depends on the ammont of time that you do "ride the clutch." The more you ride the clutch, the faster it is going to go out and I priced a clutch that was going out in a M5 and dealer installed, it was around 7200 USD. Not cheap, I think that is one of the main reasons that I went with an auto, all the servicing is expensive as it is, let alone another thing that has to be serviced every so often.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I agree that riding the clutch definately isn't "good for it". But at least a Z4 clutch (flywheel) is about $300

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

man oh man, you people torture the car.

Even in the worst LA traffic, i put the car either in first or second and deal with traffic with my foot off the clutch. Managing distances in traffic is much nicer on the car than constantly riding the clutch. Also its a terrible habit and hard to break free of, so try not to do that.

You're wearing out alot of components, not just the flywheel, and frankly, Dammmmit if you want to throw three hundred dollars away, i'll give you my address and you can just send that money to me lol...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post

Even in the worst LA traffic, i put the car either in first or second and deal with traffic with my foot off the clutch. Managing distances in traffic is much nicer on the car than constantly riding the clutch. Also its a terrible habit and hard to break free of, so try not to do that.

You're wearing out alot of components, not just the flywheel, and frankly, Dammmmit if you want to throw three hundred dollars away, i'll give you my address and you can just send that money to me lol...
So...how do you keep it from stalling in first or second when you're not moving? Even in the worst LA traffic I'm sure you come to a stop at some point.

As far as the clutch goes, I was just giving these guys hope...I certainly am not one who rides the clutch, and I use "Neutral" as much as possible when there's traffic or I'm stopped for any reason.

So don't wait for the check...cuz it would probably bounce anyway

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post

It is hard to manage distance when you are constantly stopping, and when you leave more than a car length or two people cut over infront of you anyway so it is pointless. I guess it may be different in LA? Only time I really get into traffic jams are when there are accidents on the highway here anyway (not often)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

my mechanic told me that as long as your RPM's are not high you are barely doing any damage to the clutch. it is not a big deal to be sitting at 1k-1.5k RMP's with the clutch depressed. real damage occurs at extended clutch use at 3k+. This is what I was told at least...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I don't see how having the clutch in damages it...the only "damage" would occur when engaging/disengaging. Since this is what it's designed to do, I'd call it normal wear

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Keeping the clutch depressed won't wear the clutch disk per se, but can cause excessive wear of the throwout bearing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

when i'm stopped i pull it out of gear. then when there is movement i put it in first and come off the clutch, you'd be suprised how slow you can go in 1st without stalling.I used to ride the crap out of the clutches in my cars when younger, and after a while realised it was not so great for the car. That point of friction when you're midway thru releasing the clutch is when the most wear occurs.

Hawkeye, that happens to me too once in a while, it is traffic after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #14
CherryZz
Rep
Drives: Z4M

im having trouble shifting from 1st gear -> 2nd.
if i shift too fast the car will *thump*. all other gear shifting are fine....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

That's "normal" 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shifts have been known to give people issues. Some have had the dealer change gearboxes...others have had the CDV removed...I just let it go and it doesn't happen anymore...

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
after driving the z for almost 3 years now, i am sad to say that it took me just the last several months to get shifting down to an art....well i still profess i'm lousy at it.

i don't do much stop and go, my commute is 10 minutes and i arrange my hours so i am in early and out early. but I did realize that i can leave the car in 1st and creep along rather then continually push in the clutch. like I say I don't do much stop and go, so it took me a while to re-learn what i used to know when driving a clutch more then 10 years ago.

Rosie
Appreciate 0