ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Coolant temp Sensor

Was throwing a code for the coolant temp sensor so I just bought a new one. I went to install it, and there weren't any wires connected to it. I looked all over for a any harness not plugged in and I can not find one for the life of me. I did just replace both headlights , and had to hard wire the passengers side in as the harness was destroyed when I had my accident. But I do not remember seeing any double wire harness except for the fog light connection.

This is what it should look like

Does anyone know the part number and where the harness goes after the sensor? Or just point me in the right direction....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

This is the wiring harness for my 04 3.0i.... which has the temp sensor located same as picture.

I just went out and looked at mine. Without jacking it up and removing the plastic shield it's impossible to follow where the wiring went..... however it heads off to the fender area ahead of the wheel ...

I would jack up/remove the plastic shield and investigate that area... could be it got stuck up in that area or cut off....

Best I can do for advice on locating missing wiring.
      06-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Helps if I actually pasted the url into the reply....

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1094
      06-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the diagram... its a bit confusing. But it did point me in the correct direction.

The connection seems to go directly to the DME

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...outlet/qvXPIlo

Looks to be connected from 60004(2nd connector) and pins 38 and 39. I can than retrace those wires and find where they are. Gonna be a PITA, but needs to be done. As I have driven this thing a lot since MIL reset, and it will not go into a readiness state. Maybe I just need to drive it some more, but at least if I get this fixed it should eventually get into readiness state cause it is not throwing any more codes except this one. And I assume SW/GN is solid white/green wire?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

I wish I knew how to properly read wiring diag. Or have a prog that I saw a guy on youtube use. Forget his name, but it the program was similar to the website I linked, but more in depth.

So what I found is there are 2 temp sensors. 1 directly out of radiator, and another at a junction about 2 feet from the "radiator outlet" sensor on the same line. It is directly under the vanos( i think thats what it is).

Now the problem I am having is that the color for the 2nd one is supposed to be BR/RT on one side and GR/BR on the other. But what is connected is the BW/GN, and that should be be to the Rad outlet.

2ND one This has SW/GN on my car.(Black/Green). But the length is no where near able to reach the radiator outlet. I will try and get some pics of what mine looks like.

EDIT** After further investigation, I found the BR/RT wires without the X87 connector stuffed into the protection liner.... I will hook them to the top sensor and the other to the bottom and see how that works.

Last edited by drocket77; 06-25-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep

ok, everything seems fine now that i hooked it up to what should be correct now. Like I said in my first post on this forum, I bought the car from a guy whos kid tried to turn this into a tuner. There has been so many problems to date, and just trying to get the car to a better place right now. Its taking time and money, but its slowly getting there. I don't want it stock by no means, and am trying to get it to where I want it.
Appreciate 0