ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
Intentional Brown Stain
Private
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 MC

I am thinking the epic tune. Any guess on fault codes and CARB?

Also, not sure the unique placement of the bung can clear different style of strut tower braces.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #24
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Brown Stain View Post
I am thinking the epic tune. Any guess on fault codes and CARB?

Also, not sure the unique placement of the bung can clear different style of strut tower braces.
If done correctly my understanding is there won't be any codes. CARB/Emissions would depend on your region's testing. I shouldn't have any issues where I am as it's purely an OBD test, but I've heard of people in California failing the visual purely because of the large aftermarket looking carbon airbox.

As for the IAT bung, I've gotten word that it is being moved to the front of the box - but haven't received pictures or clear description of where. I'm told it's going to be placed in a similar position as the Evolve box (so possibly the unfiltered portion of the box?) but I'm unsure. Like before though, it can be placed anywhere the buyer requests.

Should anybody be interested, it appeared the original location on the top would have been in line with the oil filler cap. P.S., not my engine, I couldn't let mine get that dusty.

Name:  Streamline Prototype - resize.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  153.8 KB

Another update, unfortunately the boxes have been delayed a couple weeks; but they're committing to all pre-order boxes (mine) being shipped by mid-August.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #25
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
First Prototype Installed on a Vehicle + Sound Check

First pictures of the fully installed box on a car (E46 M3). Again, apologies for the dirty engine bay - not my car.

IAT location will be changing, but is also able to be moved depending on the purchaser's preference. The hardware is also not final but rather what was available.

Also, here's a quick video of the sound check at a standstill.

Source: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...postcount=1175
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #26
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: red z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
First pictures of the fully installed box on a car (E46 M3). Again, apologies for the dirty engine bay - not my car.

IAT location will be changing, but is also able to be moved depending on the purchaser's preference. The hardware is also not final but rather what was available.

Also, here's a quick video of the sound check at a standstill.

Source: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...postcount=1175
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #27
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Updates...yes and no lol.

Cole's notes:
  • Numerous delays, excuses, postponements, and frustation have occured since the last update. I still don't have my airbox
  • Of the 13 pre-orders, only 1 box has been completed and shipped. This happened late last week.
  • After several QA issues on other products (bumpers and trunks), customer service shortfalls, more excuses, and disagreements Streamline has all but lost all reputation on the E46 M3 side of things
  • Unless one is hosted by Streamline themselves, there will likely be no group buy in the near future on this airbox. At least not one supported by forum members
  • I should receive mine in the next week or two, but with how things have gone I'm just hoping it comes this year
  • Long story short, at this point I cannot recommend anybody else purchase from Streamline. Their airbox (from the pictures I have) seems to be of high quality, but their customer service and commitment to promises is anything but.
  • Once again, full disclosure I have paid for the box in advance and received a (supposed) 20% discount for being a pre-order supporter. This has gotten me somewhat frustrated as I'm out over $2k which I paid in June, and still have nothing to show for it

To at least keep some positivity here, I'm attaching the latest pictures of the 1 completed airbox. Of note:
  • IAT sensor position is finalized at the bottom of the snorkel - I'm told this was chosen to maintain the most accurate temperature reading while keeping aesthetics and durability intact
  • Cable hooks attached to the box are also constructed out of carbon fibre
  • This particular box uses a brass-bronze finish to the hardware, which I understand to be unique to the pre-order boxes
  • It comes in as the lightest airbox on the market at 1776g. OEM is 2554g and Karbonius is 1986g.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 01:11 AM   #28
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the update. Indeed it looks high quality, but then again pictures can be doctored these days, until a member actually has this in their hands and in the car, it is as good as any prototype that is just a concept. Reminds me of penny stock companies that pretend to have a product but never make it to production.

hopefully this becomes reality.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #29
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Rock, mate I really hope you get your box. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Good on you for giving the guys a go, and thx for the feedback.
Shame they are stuffing you around as it does look like a quality product.

Looking forward to your actual box pics and install
Btw that iat sensor position is stupid. Why would anyone choose to have it there is beyond me. The best spot for it would have to be on the far outside of the snorkel, furthest away from the hot engine source.

Edit: if that was my box, I'd order it without the iat sensor position, and make my own (drill) it into the extended snorkel inlet tounge bit.

Not mine, but looking to move my iat there.

Last edited by Vanne; 11-05-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #30
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Rock, mate I really hope you get your box. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Good on you for giving the guys a go, and thx for the feedback.
Shame they are stuffing you around as it does look like a quality product.
I had faith in them to deliver a good product (especially with all the pressure/hype around the airbox on the M3 side), and liked the idea of more vendors developing parts for our cars. But I think they took advantage of my faith (and that of the 12 other pre-orderers) and are really screwing themselves.

I spoke to the guy yesterday and he said he would get me an accurate ETA today, but that "It will be surely be by end of the month". Sure enough I haven't gotten the promised update today so I'm still here twiddling my thumbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Looking forward to your actual box pics and install
Btw that iat sensor position is stupid. Why would anyone choose to have it there is beyond me. The best spot for it would have to be on the far outside of the snorkel, furthest away from the hot engine source.

Edit: if that was my box, I'd order it without the iat sensor position, and make my own (drill) it into the extended snorkel inlet tounge bit.
I don't think the positioning is worse than stock, and this placement (closer to the filter) would be more accurate to the actual temperature of the air being ingested. My gripe is I don't want to have to disconnect the sensor each time I want to take the snorkel bit off. But I have asked and they're pretty set on this placement. It's better than where they originally had it at the top of the box

I also don't want to ask and drill it myself, because in the event I run into any issues I feel like it'd be more of a pain dealing with their customer service (potential for them to blame my work in placing the bung). This way if there's issues, it's on them.

Edit: now seeing your picture I should add that this box won't come with the extended snorkel part. I'm waiting (hopeful with some others) that Karbonius develops and produces one that fits our cars without any adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #31
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Update:

"We expect yours to be the end of this month, so arround the 30th of November. Last one of the month is going your way."

I think I'll be lucky if I got this as a Christmas present to myself lol...I just hope that with all the time they're spending on this they're going to be getting the quality absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:41 AM   #32
Intentional Brown Stain
Private
Rep

Quote:
Update:

"We expect yours to be the end of this month, so arround the 30th of November. Last one of the month is going your way."

I think I'll be lucky if I got this as a Christmas present to myself lol...I just hope that with all the time they're spending on this they're going to be getting the quality absolutely perfect.
That is great news. You have been waiting for this for so long. At this point, I hope they don't rush, and make ur box as nice as possible. I expect it's performance does not deviate too much from the other boxes. I am certain the line will get long quick once the reviews start to come in.

I hope u doc ur installation process too so the diy will be easier for us (me).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Here are the first official pictures of the 'pre-order' airbox I'm expecting - now called "Edition Silver Core". Comes with unique 'aluminized kevlar trumpets' and a serialized plaque with the name of the carbon layer.

Not sure how much I like somebody else's name front and centre of my engine bay, so I'm thinking of putting thin ///M striped over the bottom half of the plaque. I do like the serialization and location of the plaque, but kind of wish it was a signature instead of just his name (a la AMG).

Mine will be finished ~11/30 and put on a plane on the 12/05, so hopefully in-hand by the 10th.

Appreciate 1
PLCZ4MC79.00
      11-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #34
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

nice looking box. not sure about the blokes name on it either. numbering is good though.
      12-08-2018, 02:21 AM   #35
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Did it go out for shipping?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #36
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyme View Post
Did it go out for shipping?
Not yet but that's my fault lol. I asked to add a Euro front bumper to my order and ship it together (to save on shipping) on Wednesday night so they're waiting for it to come in from BMW. ETA is mid next week, so I'm thinking I should receive them all by the 18th or so.

The airbox is ready, although I think they may be putting another coat of clear and polishing it while they wait.

I have to admit - since the boxes have begun production and as we get closer to fulfillment communication has been a lot better from Streamline.

Last edited by rockstar93; 12-13-2018 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My box was just completed (and the bumper arrived) so it will all be shipped out soon. If all goes well I should have it by this time next week.

I have to say I'm quite excited, because it looks really good. Box #4 from Streamline, #2 of 10 on the plaque (first box was the prototype with the IAT on the top, second was their "marketing" box, and the next two are the special "Silver Core" editions).

To note:
  • The black hardware shown is not what I'm getting, it was just used for pictures as the 'special' coated hardware hadn't arrive yet, but has now
  • The lack of weave stops is incredible, I've seen a lot of Karb boxes that had one right front and centre, by the oil filter housing - this looks to keep them relatively unseen
  • Once I receive it I'll post my initial impressions and feedback on the install, but since the car is stored I won't be able to hear it until the spring
Name:  48361221_923190318069251_8633557440954105856_o.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  373.8 KB

Name:  48379716_923190241402592_3076328243393986560_o.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  297.5 KB

Name:  48314848_923190228069260_7856774152630304768_o.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  389.5 KB

Name:  48314231_923190348069248_5151035354190446592_o.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  274.7 KB

Name:  48275322_923190198069263_6684316426636886016_o.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  446.6 KB

Name:  48240819_923190404735909_8555587253202583552_o.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  465.4 KB

Name:  48203646_923190341402582_4458956719388622848_o.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  462.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #38
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Apologies for the lack of update, it's been pretty crazy lately. I received the box just before the holidays, but since then I've been sent all over the world on back-to-back business trips and now that I'm back and settled I have no desire to install because I have a very uninsulated garage and it's currently sitting at -31°C (-24°F).

Anywho - here's some pictures I took right after unboxing. Unfortunately it appears I left my polarizer on and the pictures are much darker than they should be. I also couldn't capture everything so I'll have to take more before installing.

Obviously it's difficult to give a full review without even attempting an install, but my first impression would say I'm about 8/10 satisfied. It's not perfect, but I will still proudly install it in my car. Especially for the price (compared to other quality airboxes), I'd still happy with my choice (so far).

Firstly, the positives:
  • The weave and construction is beautiful, truly a work of art. There's very few weave stops, and where there are some they tried to hide them as best as possible. The weave itself is some of the best I've seen, with only 1 noticeable 'wave' that is hidden once installed.
  • The hardware is all top notch and solid, nothing remotely loose or concerning long-term
  • The filter fit (into the filtered section) is superb. As snug as it can get without being too tight or causing any pinching or buckling of the filter. It's also flush with the 'walls' of the filtered section.
  • The 'silver core' (aluminized carbon trumpets) are like nothing I've seen before - at first I was iffy about them and the plaque but now that I've seen it in person I will admit I'm very glad to have them
  • The carbon cable holders at the back are a nice touch and high quality. No concerns there.

And now the negatives...
  • There are a few flaws in the carbon laying. The explanation from Streamline is quoted below (because I wouldn't be able to explain it as well). Most are indeed pinhole sized and barely noticeable unless you catch them in the light. The one by cylinder 6 however is quite prominent, and had it been anywhere else I'd say unacceptable. Fortunately it isn't structural (it's not a hole, and I can't see light through it) and once installed will not be seen. Because of the lighting I wasn't able to capture this in this set of pictures.
  • The clear coat could have been polished nicer. It's nice, shines great, but there is some swirling that probably could have been taken out before shipping - not a big deal
  • The MPower sticker was installed before shipping (even though I did ask that it be sent separately so I could install myself), and while placement is good there are quite a few small air bubbles. Hoping that the engine bay heat will take car of them, otherwise I'll have to remove and replace.
  • The biggest issue is the fit between the 2 sections once the filter is in place (I am and will continue to use the OEM filter, although I'm not sure if the available ITG filter is thinner or less rigid). There's a tongue on the unfiltered section that is supposed to butt up against the filter (which fits into a groove), unfortunately this tongue/lip is slightly too long and when it hits the filter results in a slight gap between the sections. This is most prominent at the front by the oil filter housing and at the rear where it's a big enough gap to let light through. It does not affect the filtered section and I'd imagine is purely cosmetic, but it's a rather big flaw. If it bothers me I'll likely take a mil or two off the lip with a dremel. This is shown in the last few pictures.

Streamline's explanation for the carbon defects:
Quote:
Well, just before sending I was able to spot some minuscule pinholes / speckles. Last time I showed you the Mclaren, it had a similar thing. What happens is, in between the weave of the carbon sometimes resin doesn't go through, or an air-pocket is formed. Once the clear-coat is sprayed on top these are filled. But as the item starts to dry out and the clear starts curing these pockets burst and a small pinhole is left behind. Usually most aftermarket carbon workers use a polyester gel on top of the carbon so that these do not happen. These gels however tint the carbon a little, and usually have a slight purple/blueish color. They also don't hold up well over 70 degrees Celsius, so we do not use such a gel. Anyways please keep in mind these are extremely small, and not easy to notice at all! I had a hard time showing them on the pictures. We found a couple of these on the unfiltered part ( didnt find any on the filtered part) and one bigger one towards cilinder 6, which resembles almost exactly the Mclaren pic from 4 days ago.That is working with carbon at the end of the day, nothing is 100% perfect, no matter how much I want it to be.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  537.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  609.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  625.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  307.3 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  705.8 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  455.1 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  377.0 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  476.2 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  814.0 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  533.0 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  616.8 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  478.2 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  892.3 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  362.3 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  542.5 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  642.5 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  835.1 KB

EDIT:

Took some additional pictures in the sunlight that better show some of the flaws I mentioned - mostly the carbon 'defects'. Nothing major, but as I mentioned above if that one at the back by cylinder 6 was somewhere more visible I would be a bit more upset.

This is with the filter installed, so this is the gap at less 'obvious' angles.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  512.8 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  375.1 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  439.4 KB

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  421.8 KB

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  652.7 KB

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  379.1 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  709.0 KB

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  466.7 KB

Last edited by rockstar93; 01-29-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #39
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Looks awesome! In for installed pics and review.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #40
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Is there still any opportunity to get in this with the group buy pricing? Or perhaps is there someone that wants to back out of their place?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #41
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is there still any opportunity to get in this with the group buy pricing? Or perhaps is there someone that wants to back out of their place?
Last update I received (last week) was that 2 people dropped out because they sold their cars since paying, and they were looking to fill those spots.

I can reach out and see for you if they're still open. Not sure on the price though.

Edit: Confirmed that as of right now there is 1 spot left, ETA March. Regular price is €1460, however for this box they can lower it to €1380 for a Z4M customer in hopes of getting more customers on our platform.

Last edited by rockstar93; 01-30-2019 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #42
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Last update I received (last week) was that 2 people dropped out because they sold their cars since paying, and they were looking to fill those spots.

I can reach out and see for you if they're still open. Not sure on the price though.

Edit: Confirmed that as of right now there is 1 spot left, ETA March. Regular price is €1460, however for this box they can lower it to €1380 for a Z4M customer in hopes of getting more customers on our platform.
Rockstar,
Yes please help a newbie if you can help me find a way to get on one of these boxes. Also, are they requiring full payment or is it deposit first then pay balance when completed?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #43
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Rockstar,
Yes please help a newbie if you can help me find a way to get on one of these boxes. Also, are they requiring full payment or is it deposit first then pay balance when completed?

Thanks
I had to pay in full back in June (and had to wait until the end of December for delivery). Not sure if they changed that policy but in any event it's only a gap of ~1-2 months this time.

You can contact Streamline (Antony) through their Facebook (this is how I've kept in communication) or by email:
https://www.facebook.com/StreamlineAutosport/

sales@streamlineautosport.com
Just mention Zpost, or that it's for a Z4, or my name (rockstar93/Steven). They are in Bulgaria so there may be a delay before they reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #44
Intentional Brown Stain
Private
Rep

Thx for all the updates rockstar. Keep them coming! I am going hold off for their 2nd batch I think.
Appreciate 0