ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
RDMZ4M
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M

Need to replace steering rack in '06 Z4 M

Greetings fellow Zed Heads -
Just found out from my mechanic that I need to replace the steering rack in my M. Of course, they can find none in the US and it has to be ordered from Germany. The price is insane at $2,900 including labor. Anyone know of a rebuilt or newer steering rack that they have laying around they'd like to sell.
Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Is it a roadster? If so this guy has a rebuilt one available for $600...

https://shop.rackdoctor.net/Z4-SERIES_c88.htm

If a coupe - that's a different rack, you might still reach out to him about sourcing one or getting yours rebuilt there. He's in SC so not like having to deal with Europe. Good luck!
      12-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
RDMZ4M
Rep

It is indeed a Roadster! Thanks Kevin!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
I came on this forum to start a thread about my rack and pinion (R&P) needing replacement and what my best options are. Then I run into this thread lol.

I found this site, happens to be the same one (I think) that Kevin pointed out:

https://rackdr.com/2006-2008-bmw-z4-...0aAnOmEALw_wcB

My story: I went in to this "expert" shop on wheel alignments. They have state of the art machines of course. With the alignment, they provide a free suspension check up. The guys were car enthusiasts and ended up giving a free check up and told me to hold off on the alignment because my rack and pinion needed replacement. They quoted me $126 for labor to replace the R&P and $69 for the alignment. They had the car up on the lift. One of the guys stayed in the car and steered left and right back and forth. There was a knock inside the rack, could hear it and feel it at the same time. He said that there was small play in there and it's supposed to be STILL when steering. He also pointed out my control arms, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, brakes and rotors seem to be all new and in good condition. I did replace all that less than 2 years ago.

The rack and pinion goes for $1500-$2500 everywhere online. The only one at a "decent" price is this rack doctor website. Does anyone have experience shopping from there?
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
RDMZ4M
Rep

I did check with my mechanic and they won't purchase from that site because they can't offer a warranty on it. But I'm going to go ahead and buy it from Rack Doctor(unless someone pings in with a better solution) and have it shipped to my mechanic and they will install for me. I do see that they offer a refund if you send them the original core, so that's a nice touch) I'm not capable(more like willing LOL) of doing the work myself, just not in my nature.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDMZ4M View Post
I did check with my mechanic and they won't purchase from that site because they can't offer a warranty on it. But I'm going to go ahead and buy it from Rack Doctor(unless someone pings in with a better solution) and have it shipped to my mechanic and they will install for me. I do see that they offer a refund if you send them the original core, so that's a nice touch) I'm not capable(more like willing LOL) of doing the work myself, just not in my nature.
The link I provided above indicates it has lifetime warranty..? And yes, $600 after the core refund is a reasonable price, I suppose.

I was thinking of doing it myself, but $126 for labor isn't really much to have that peace of mind that my steering and suspension is all done correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
RDMZ4M
Rep

I did see the warranty on the site, so I'm good. Thanks for the heads up, nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Please updated us on how it all goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

$126 for labor? Wow.
I'd figure somebody would charge that much to replace a light bulb.
      12-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Well hopefully this turns out well! Glad I was able to turn that guy up. For $600 vs $2900, I'd sure as hell roll the dice. This guy talks a good game, hopefully the finished product lives up to it. Offering a lifetime guarantee would seem to be a good sign. Good luck and keep us posted!
      12-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #11
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Steering rack

Quote:
Greetings fellow Zed Heads -
Just found out from my mechanic that I need to replace the steering rack in my M. Of course, they can find none in the US and it has to be ordered from Germany. The price is insane at $2,900 including labor. Anyone know of a rebuilt or newer steering rack that they have laying around they'd like to sell.
Much appreciated!
Is this a small percentage failure, or a larger failure just not reported on our site? I've been a member of this site for nine yrs and have not seen this failure before.

How many miles on the vehicle? Typical usage (daily driver, track car).
      12-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Is this a small percentage failure, or a larger failure just not reported on our site? I've been a member of this site for nine yrs and have not seen this failure before.

How many miles on the vehicle? Typical usage (daily driver, track car).
Mine is a 2006, daily driver, never seen a track, 108,xxx miles.
I was hit a few years back, mine must've been damaged from the accident is my guess.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      12-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Steering rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Mine is a 2006, daily driver, never seen a track, 108,xxx miles.
I was hit a few years back, mine must've been damaged from the accident is my guess.
Thank you Ross,
Perhaps the accident did cause this; curious if you noted a difference in the steering after the accident; were the front tires hit? Or did your Z4M run over a curb?
      12-12-2018, 12:31 AM   #14
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Thank you Ross,
Perhaps the accident did cause this; curious if you noted a difference in the steering after the accident; were the front tires hit? Or did your Z4M run over a curb?
I was hit on the rear passenger side, spun about 8 times in the road, followed by a slam on the curb. Both passenger wheels hit the curb at about the same time. My rear wheel broke and front wheel cracked. They were both replaced along with suspension components in front and rear. No damage to the frame. After the accident (and after the repair), i did notice a difference in the steering. It had been repaired by my local BMW dealer and covered by my insurance. They replaced the obvious things to the naked eye, but I then chose to take it to my mechanic. We put it up on the lift and he showed me the damaged tie rod ends and control arms. While we were in there, he suggested To replace rotors, brakes, control arm bushings, I also upgraded springs and shocks. Car felt better but didn’t feel the way it did prior to the accident. Kept driving it a few years until the loud clunk (felt and heard it coming from underneath the driver’s side) became more present. The only reason I took it to get an alignment is because in order to make it go straight, I have to have my steering wheel turned a bit to the left. The guys at this shop checked all components in front and after I told them about the vibration at 80MPH, they pointed out the rack and pinion as the culprit. This explains the vibration and also the loud clunk when turning the wheel. I wouldn’t worry about it if you haven’t had any sort of accident. I don’t believe it’s an item that just wears out after 100k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Steering rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
I was hit on the rear passenger side, spun about 8 times in the road, followed by a slam on the curb. Both passenger wheels hit the curb at about the same time. My rear wheel broke and front wheel cracked. They were both replaced along with suspension components in front and rear. No damage to the frame. After the accident (and after the repair), i did notice a difference in the steering. It had been repaired by my local BMW dealer and covered by my insurance. They replaced the obvious things to the naked eye, but I then chose to take it to my mechanic. We put it up on the lift and he showed me the damaged tie rod ends and control arms. While we were in there, he suggested To replace rotors, brakes, control arm bushings, I also upgraded springs and shocks. Car felt better but didn’t feel the way it did prior to the accident. Kept driving it a few years until the loud clunk (felt and heard it coming from underneath the driver’s side) became more present. The only reason I took it to get an alignment is because in order to make it go straight, I have to have my steering wheel turned a bit to the left. The guys at this shop checked all components in front and after I told them about the vibration at 80MPH, they pointed out the rack and pinion as the culprit. This explains the vibration and also the loud clunk when turning the wheel. I wouldn’t worry about it if you haven’t had any sort of accident. I don’t believe it’s an item that just wears out after 100k miles.
Thank you Ross for your detailed account and transparency. The recovery of your Z4M is incredible. Looking forward to your updates after the steering rack is replaced.
      12-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Check this junkyard if you already not have ordered.
Specializedgerman.com

Call them, they are really good in providing parts with good information!! V god price with warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #17
RDMZ4M
Rep

Update for you guys:
I did order it from Rack Doctor and should get delivered in the next couple of weeks to my shop. I will let you know once it has arrived and has been installed and my and my mechanics thoughts after the work is complete.

And to answer racerbruce's question - I have 46k miles on the car, it is a semi daily driver - 2-3 times a week if weather permits. I don't like taking her out in the rain and my SUV's are there for the snow, etc. Some track time, but not a lot. I honestly can't feel any difference with the current column in place now and have had no issues. But it is definitely leaking and needs to be replaced. Glad this isn't a common issue and hopefully this rebuilt rack and pinion will resolve all challenges.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Parts ordered....

Quote:
Update for you guys:
I did order it from Rack Doctor and should get delivered in the next couple of weeks to my shop. I will let you know once it has arrived and has been installed and my and my mechanics thoughts after the work is complete.

And to answer racerbruce's question - I have 46k miles on the car, it is a semi daily driver - 2-3 times a week if weather permits. I don't like taking her out in the rain and my SUV's are there for the snow, etc. Some track time, but not a lot. I honestly can't feel any difference with the current column in place now and have had no issues. But it is definitely leaking and needs to be replaced. Glad this isn't a common issue and hopefully this rebuilt rack and pinion will resolve all challenges.
Awesome -
Thank you for answering the questions - perhaps install in late Jan?
      01-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #19
RDMZ4M
Rep

So, I got an email from Rack Doctor cancelling my order and called them today. They don't have any in stock currently, but will rebuild yours if you send it to them and offer a lifetime warranty on their work.
I'm going to have my mechanic pull it and ship it to them and they said they would normally be able to rebuild in 24-48 hours upon receipt and then shipping back up to DC is 24 hours. So, although a bit convoluted, it will still do the trick.
And it's winter, so not a lot of time in the M right now anyway.
Will update once the work has been done to let you all know of the satisfaction with their work.
But, super friendly on the phone.
2010 Porsche GT2
2012 Ford Expedition
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #20
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Steering rack rebuild

Quote:
So, I got an email from Rack Doctor cancelling my order and called them today. They don't have any in stock currently, but will rebuild yours if you send it to them and offer a lifetime warranty on their work.
I'm going to have my mechanic pull it and ship it to them and they said they would normally be able to rebuild in 24-48 hours upon receipt and then shipping back up to DC is 24 hours. So, although a bit convoluted, it will still do the trick.
Will update once the work has been done to let you all know of the satisfaction with their work.
Thanks for the update.
A minor setback - hopeful the rebuild is as planned and you're taken care of soon.
      01-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #21
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Try calling Specializedgerman.com
They have huge inventory of German cars. Very good response And my parts came nicely packed, properly marked with 6 month warranty. Great price too.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #22
RDMZ4M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Try calling Specializedgerman.com
They have huge inventory of German cars. Very good response And my parts came nicely packed, properly marked with 6 month warranty. Great price too.
Good luck.
I will!
Thanks for the heads up!
2010 Porsche GT2
2012 Ford Expedition
Appreciate 0