ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Well, I’ve gone to 265 square setup with Falken Azenis 615k+. Corner entry understeer is better. I think these tires are a smidge slower than the re71s, but also a smidge cheaper. Wear is loads better. I can rotate the Falkens, but interestingly you can’t remount them inside out. The re71s are directional (rotation one way only), but are symmetric side to side. The Falkens can roll either direction, but are asymmetric side to side.

ZeesNThrees Also been working on corner entry technique. Whether that improves wear I can’t say, but my times are better! So far so good...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #24
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
Well, I’ve gone to 265 square setup with Falken Azenis 615k+. Corner entry understeer is better. I think these tires are a smidge slower than the re71s, but also a smidge cheaper. Wear is loads better. I can rotate the Falkens, but interestingly you can’t remount them inside out. The re71s are directional (rotation one way only), but are symmetric side to side. The Falkens can roll either direction, but are asymmetric side to side.

ZeesNThrees Also been working on corner entry technique. Whether that improves wear I can’t say, but my times are better! So far so good...
I have an acquaintance that's running the Falkens on his SSC FRS and he's been really pleased with them. They're a couple ticks slower for autocross than the RE71s, but his times show they're a bit quicker over a full track session than the RE71s. They seem to handle the heat better so he can hold consistent lap times where with the 71s he might get a quicker lap but then they fall off and he has to back off and let them cool.
      08-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #25
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Maybe I missed it, but have you tried adjusting your dampers? 3 clicks of compression seems low. Try moving it up a couple clicks. Turning knobs is cheap. When I ran JRZ's on my E36 they were happy at 6 bump and 9 rebound.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #26
ZeesNThrees
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 01 330Ci, 91 535

Nice job on the improvement!

I re-read my post and I failed to mention possibly too much rear toe and not enough front negative. Positive rear toe makes for a stable car on exit and entry, but too much can cause you to overdrive the fronts in both situations. You've got a lot of front camber, fairly stiff setup and in combination with caster at high steering angles the outside edge of the outside tire can get very loaded (ackerman steer, similar to karting). Next time you park leave your front wheels cranked and go look at the outside edge tire squat - you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #27
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
Good to know. I’ve run the Hankooks and Direzza’s, too. Both with better wear than the RE-71s, but the grip of those tires is addicting! I think I may give the Falken Azenis 615Ks a try. Can’t beat the price and it’s time to spend money on track time instead of tires.
615’s are ok but I really like the NT01, they last forever and only get faster as they wear.