ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #45
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Make sure if you get a retune for the increased injector size that you finish the tune to perfection then throw the kit on.

I have driven over 20k+ miles with the kit on two Z4m's running 100% e85 through almost every single tank. If you need any help with install or more info feel free to let me know. Also if you look in the 2nd post of mine in this thread you'll see the video with the Porsche which can give you an approximate representation on how much faster the car is with e85
I'm hoping that we can update injector parameters via INPA without having to actually having to get a completely updated ECU flash, but there doesn't seem to be hardly any information on that subject for the MSS70 floating around on the interwebs.

Either way, I definitely will have injectors working perfectly before putting the kit on. And from watching your unboxing/install video, it seems rather straightforward, which is a plus.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #46
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post

I've only put a couple hundred miles on the car with it. Shortly after I installed it I had all my parts come in for my built engine, and the car has been at the shop since. I need to spend more time with it before I say it's good to go. Initial impressions are great.
This is good to hear. I've got a few things to do to my car first, but then I need to have the tune looked at (there are a few odd behaviors my car exhibits). I'd be interested in installing this kit if it is safe for FI cars.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #47
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V6 S BDE

My kit just arrived today, planning to install it this weekend. I'm out in Illinois so corn is cheaper than water haha can't wait to feel the difference!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #48
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaberti View Post
My kit just arrived today, planning to install it this weekend. I'm out in Illinois so corn is cheaper than water haha can't wait to feel the difference!
Awesome! Let me know if you need any help with install or questions, don't forget to download the app to know your ethanol percentage! Let us know how the car feels too
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #49
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Awesome!! Can't wait to hear how it goes..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #50
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Okay! I finally got started, but I'm stalled up a bit trying to get the injector case off. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #51
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Okay! I finally got started, but I'm stalled up a bit trying to get the injector case off. Any tips?
First pull the injectors straight up using the case. After use a mini screw driver and snap the tabs out to pull the top part of the case off. I believe I showed that in my installation video
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #52
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First pull the injectors straight up using the case. After use a mini screw driver and snap the tabs out to pull the top part of the case off. I believe I showed that in my installation video
I've got it unhooked, I'm struggling with the tabs - I can't seem to get the top of the case open to pull the injectors out. I'm trying to be careful too because all this old bmw plastic has proven to me it doesn't deal well with stress lol
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #53
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've got it unhooked, I'm struggling with the tabs - I can't seem to get the top of the case open to pull the injectors out. I'm trying to be careful too because all this old bmw plastic has proven to me it doesn't deal well with stress lol
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

For reference

Edit: Huh, phone upload fail
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #54
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Start from one side and work your way down to the rest , stick a screwdriver in ones that you've already unhooked so they don't snap back in. The plastic is a lot more durable than it seems. After all of them are out work around the sides and just pull it off, should snap out of place
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #55
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Start from one side and work your way down to the rest , stick a screwdriver in ones that you've already unhooked so they don't snap back in. The plastic is a lot more durable than it seems. After all of them are out work around the sides and just pull it off, should snap out of place
Got it, didn't realize they were clamped on the backside too, just thought it was the front and the back was a pivot. I made it way more complicated by not looking. Cylinder 5 and 6 are still kind of a menace because there's not much gap to work with in my car, but at least now I have a shot. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #56
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Got it, didn't realize they were clamped on the backside too, just thought it was the front and the back was a pivot. I made it way more complicated by not looking. Cylinder 5 and 6 are still kind of a menace because there's not much gap to work with in my car, but at least now I have a shot. Thanks!
No problem, remember to take the rubber grommets out that hold the injector in place on the plastic. You can see it in the video.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #57
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Almost there, on cylinder 6. The clearance is incredibly tight, there's not much play with the wiring to the left to move things around to get the proflex wiring into the injector. There's also this grey cable that's just perpetually in the way. First 3 were a snap, 4 was a trick, 5 was a beast, but 6? Whew, this is challenging my tetris skills haha. But the light is in sight!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #58
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Almost there, on cylinder 6. The clearance is incredibly tight, there's not much play with the wiring to the left to move things around to get the proflex wiring into the injector. There's also this grey cable that's just perpetually in the way. First 3 were a snap, 4 was a trick, 5 was a beast, but 6? Whew, this is challenging my tetris skills haha. But the light is in sight!
Nice, I recommend putting the Proflex commander as seen below in this picture. Use the factory engine ground bolt. While in the video you saw me mount it it on the right side of the car using the sticky adhesive, when you wash the car water will sneak into the engine bay between the hood and fender and will get the proflex commander wet, which I didn't account for when mounting it. Putting it in the spot below will ensure no weather damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #59
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Boom! Installed, car started! Will be a few days before I can give initial driving impression as the wheels are off and waiting for a delayed stud kit. Thanks for the help, can't wait to give a proper write-up and show off my build!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #60
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

So with this installed, it can use pump gas (91-94 AKI), different blend of e85 as well as mix of both in the tank case where I can't find e85 around?

The sensor will adjust itself where e85 only will yield the most performance?

TIA,

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #61
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
So with this installed, it can use pump gas (91-94 AKI), different blend of e85 as well as mix of both in the tank case where I can't find e85 around?

TIA,
Correct, you can use 91 octane all the way to straight e85 with any mix in between e10-e85 and the kit will adjust. No tuning needed!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #62
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Quote:

TIA,
Correct, you can use 91 octane all the way to straight e85 with any mix in between e10-e85 and the kit will adjust. No tuning needed!
Thanks a bunch .. might give it a shot this season..

I'm still quite confused about this ethanol matter.

normally I use the highest octane possible for our engine. (Shell 91 or Chevron 94 with 0% ethanol)

but with this kit, running straight ethanol yields better performance? care to elaborate?

much thanks,

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #63
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TIA,
Thanks a bunch .. might give it a shot this season..

I'm still quite confused about this ethanol matter.

normally I use the highest octane possible for our engine. (Shell 91 or Chevron 94 with 0% ethanol)

but with this kit, running straight ethanol yields better performance? care to elaborate?

much thanks,
Ethanol (e85) is rated at 105 octane. Since it has alcohol inside it which provides additional cooling benefits it almost has the octane rating of 130+ octane. You can see that a bone stock car gained nearly 33whp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #64
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep

Alright, after having finally gotten the car sorted, I found my nearest E85 station. I live outside St. Louis so in my area they are not quite as common, but there is one up the street. Unfortunately, it is a station that notoriously marks up prices because it is so close to the interstate - premium there is $2.9 when everywhere nearby it is $2.10 or less. E85 ran $2.35.

After filling up and using the app, looks like my percentage is about 55%, which also explains why I felt no real difference before swapping over - a caveat is that the roads are drenched right now and I didn't touch the top end. Might be where all the fun is, which suits me just as well. Otherwise, car runs/starts no issue. I will run down the tank as soon as the weather improves and try a different station; what's a slightly longer drive for cheap power?

Edit: Forgot to mention, my primary motivation is that I'm moving to Sacramento in the fall and there is no mathematician alive who can prove to me that premium in Cali is cheaper than E85. This is the primary motivator for me - the power gains are secondary to me, but certainly not unwelcome.

An additional note, I have pretty good 93 here. I wonder if the margin of difference is larger if you're coming from 91?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #65
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Alright, after having finally gotten the car sorted, I found my nearest E85 station. I live outside St. Louis so in my area they are not quite as common, but there is one up the street. Unfortunately, it is a station that notoriously marks up prices because it is so close to the interstate - premium there is $2.9 when everywhere nearby it is $2.10 or less. E85 ran $2.35.

After filling up and using the app, looks like my percentage is about 55%, which also explains why I felt no real difference before swapping over - a caveat is that the roads are drenched right now and I didn't touch the top end. Might be where all the fun is, which suits me just as well. Otherwise, car runs/starts no issue. I will run down the tank as soon as the weather improves and try a different station; what's a slightly longer drive for cheap power?
I usually run the tank to 0 miles before I fill up. E85 at my station tests to be about e78 in the app. Once you find an open road you'll notice the top end is a lot better, crisper throttle response. The way it throws you back in the seat fees different
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #66
cbecker33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Which station?
Appreciate 0