ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
chengstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster, 07 M Coupe

i'll be bolting on my set sometime in may.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Looking forward to more reviews. Anyone fit these one yet?

My E92 M3 is completely catless and I don't mind the smell, but I'm wondering if how this will work on a Roadster. I did a secondary cat delete but have a spare X-Pipe. If reviews are good, I might end up doing this at the same time as my rod bearings.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I haven't fitted mine on yet. But Residentj3553 sent me these pics of test fitting the headers (his engine head is off right now) bolts right up into section 1 and no fitment issues with clearing any of the bracing/shielding underneath. Looks promising! (He got his headers ceramic coated)
Attached Images

2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

This sounds too good to be true hope that's not the case lol def ordering as soon as someone confirms fitment

Are all e46 m3 headers exactly same size/fitment as z4m?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #27
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
This sounds too good to be true hope that's not the case lol def ordering as soon as someone confirms fitment

Are all e46 m3 headers exactly same size/fitment as z4m?
Yeah all E46 M3 headers are the same size/fitment as the M from my understanding aside from the American Racing headers. Most companies list that they'll fit both cars!
Appreciate 1
ryank382102.00
      05-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #28
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

If what I've read - that Megan Racing bought one of the Chinese manufacturers that was selling headers on eBay (Merz-somethingoranother?) - is true, then these are the headers that I have installed in my Z4MC. They definitely look like the same design and manufacturing quality (about which I was pleasantly surprised) as mine.

I *am* chasing an exhaust header leak right now, which may or may not be my own damn fault, but at least visually these headers lined up and bolted down easily / flatly enough. The gaskets that they came with were garbage so I just threw them out, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #29
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfwalters View Post
If what I've read - that Megan Racing bought one of the Chinese manufacturers that was selling headers on eBay (Merz-somethingoranother?) - is true, then these are the headers that I have installed in my Z4MC. They definitely look like the same design and manufacturing quality (about which I was pleasantly surprised) as mine.

I *am* chasing an exhaust header leak right now, which may or may not be my own damn fault, but at least visually these headers lined up and bolted down easily / flatly enough. The gaskets that they came with were garbage so I just threw them out, FWIW.
I've read on m3forum that they have taken the exact same headers as active autowerke and just tweaked them slightly. Pretty sure they sourced them from the same factory too. The thread on m3forum for these headers are 110+ pages long and I read every single post about it, back in early 2018 there was a cylinder 6 header issue with the bolts lining up which was fixed last summer of 2018. Tons of people have been using these with no issues. The EGT on these are located in a different spot and the bungs are positioned correctly
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #30
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfwalters View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
I've read on m3forum that they have taken the exact same headers as active autowerke and just tweaked them slightly. Pretty sure they sourced them from the same factory too. The thread on m3forum for these headers are 110+ pages long and I read every single post about it, back in early 2018 there was a cylinder 6 header issue with the bolts lining up which was fixed last summer of 2018. Tons of people have been using these with no issues. The EGT on these are located in a different spot and the bungs are positioned correctly
Yeah, I think this may be the same thing. I bought the Manzo headers from eBay about 5 years ago and am experiencing all of the same problems that folks have complained about with their earlier builds. Nice welds, install flat enough, but warp with use. Given the rest of my build I have opted for the $uper$print $tepped option but I'm as excited as everyone else to hear how the Megan units measure up.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #31
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone put these fully on and confirm fitment is good so I can purchase 😃
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #32
Residentj3553
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4M Roadster

I've been meaning to get my engine back together atm.
Just been busy with work and life.
Will report when I bolt them down!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #33
chengstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster, 07 M Coupe

i've just been lazy will try to do it by end june.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #34
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Ladies and gentlemen per Residentj3553 install on his car these headers appear to be a perfect fit once bolted as seen below!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
ryank382102.00
StickMon635.00
SDCoupe76.00
Vanne1593.00
      06-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #35
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Ladies and gentlemen per Residentj3553 install on his car these headers appear to be a perfect fit once bolted as seen below!
yesss awesome thank you for reporting back! Just ordered!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #36
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Installed mine as well and fitment is great! Bolted right up with enough clearance around everything.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 5
      06-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #37
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
Installed mine as well and fitment is great! Bolted right up with enough clearance around everything.
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #38
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

That's just insane that these can be had for that cheap. I mean what is it costing them to have them made so that they actually make some money?!??! I'm sticking with the Euro's I have but if I was looking for a set, you just can't beat the price point on these, even if they required a bit of work. Crazy.....

Wish they had an X-pipe !!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #39
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
The general consensus is that these headers are the best value, and they were confirmed to be the AA design from the same factory. That said, anybody looking should be aware of this post from AA (take it with a grain of salt because of the obvious bias, but best to be fully informed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
Hi everyone, David from Active Autowerke here.

I just wanted to clarify some things that I've found in this thread. A customer purchased some Megan racing headers today and brought them in to be installed. On first glance we thought they were ours. After seeing the Megan logo I searched them and found this thread.

We designed the triangle head flanges with the recessed bolt holes and paid to have the mold made and casted. We also designed the lower 2-bolt flange and had those casted as well. This was long before the newer brushed headers, back when we were making them here with their $1999 price tag. We moved production on this product overseas as the cars got older since we couldn't compete pricewise with the competition.

That said, there are varying grades of products manufactured overseas. This is evident if you've ever compared an iPad to a $30 eBay tablet. We have a very strict QC and actually test fit and modify every set of S54 headers in house before they're shipped. When we got this set of Megan headers in today we put them in our jig and of course they are not spot on. On top of that we did find a small crack in the weld at one the flanges as pictured below.

Our headers also ship with OEM flange to head gaskets, and OEM fiber gaskets where they connect to the mid pipes. When you purchase from us you also receive an OEM secondary air pump gasket. I don't intend on making this a sales pitch, but when you purchase from us you also receive stateside support from a company that has been in business since 1981. You can call us during business hours and speak with someone for live help during your install, or if you have any other issues.

We still manufacture quite a few products in house (and only sell original designs), including our entire F8X M2/3/4 exhaust line as well as our supercharger kits. However, we would never compete with the current S54 header market if we were still making them here.

I mainly just wanted to clarify that we did in fact design this piece from scratch. We'll take it as a compliment that Megan chose ours out of the many on the market to copy.
All this said, I do still sort of regret spending so much on my Fabspeed headers which are the same basic design. I wish I went straight to SS stepped headers instead, or this option to save some coin.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #40
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Great post shown above^ but there are some things to address. I did speak to Megan racing when I went to their facility and with that being said there was a fitment issue back in 2017/2018. With that resulting, they told me they test fit every piece on their jig (here in SoCal) before selling them/shipping to their distributors after that happened. So quality control has changed from before.

The gaskets I agree 100% are not made from the highest quality. Will they get the job done, absolutely. But for piece of mind you can buy the oem gaskets which still makes the headers relatively inexpensive, you could buy the headers+new oem gaskets for ~$300.

It's not like Megan Racing is a stranger though, they've been supporting the e46 M3 platform for quite some time. People spending $2000 on headers for these cars are just feeding companies who try to take advantage of us
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #41
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Funny you brought this up since AA headers isn't exactly known to be "quality" items to begin with. Remember this?
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
The general consensus is that these headers are the best value, and they were confirmed to be the AA design from the same factory. That said, anybody looking should be aware of this post from AA (take it with a grain of salt because of the obvious bias, but best to be fully informed).

All this said, I do still sort of regret spending so much on my Fabspeed headers which are the same basic design. I wish I went straight to SS stepped headers instead, or this option to save some coin.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #42
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I just ripped out the M-whatever eBay headers (i.e. same as the Megan ones) and replaced them with a set of SuperSprint stepped headers.

The difference in quality and fitment felt worth $2k to me, especially after seeing this:

It's not simple to construct low-run performance parts by hand and get consistent output unless the jigs are of a very high quality, and substantial time is invested in both design and manufacturing to ensure that the parts will fit appropriately - especially when large temperature swings are involved.

Anyway, just one person's opinion, but "you get what you pay for" is often true.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #43
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Funny you brought this up since AA headers isn't exactly known to be "quality" items to begin with. Remember this?
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post

My cars having the headers put in this week but after reading that I may have some trouble sleeping at night...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #44
Residentj3553
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4M Roadster

For 250$ its too cheap not to try is the basis of this all.
If it ends up not working after a while then i'm sure we can all agree it was worth a shot.
And removing headers isnt the hardest job in the world. Just swap them out with a good quality brand worst case scenario!
Mods: ProFlex E85 Flexfuel kit, Eventuri Carbon Intake w/ RPI scoop, Megan Headers, Custom Axle-back exhaust, KW V3 Coilovers, Stoptech ST40 BBK, Poly FCABs, APEX PS-7s, Diode Dynamics Headlights, CF Trunk Spoiler, Sideskirts & Diffuser.
Appreciate 0