ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #23
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post

It turns out that I experienced what felt like knockback, but was actually an issue with the DS2500 fitting into the front caliper(s??). Some folks here had a thread about it, and that is what helped figure it out. When I put the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads back on, the brakes feel good for street usage.
This is exactly the same issue I had with the DS2500s. The step in the spring that's supposed to lock the pad into the caliper piston wasn't formed correctly and the pads wouldn't stay locked in. When they popped loosed they'd push the caliper piston back (effectively same as knock back) and I'd get a long brake pedal the first application after rolling for a bit. I was actually doing a left foot brake pump coming into the braking points so that I'd have full pedal when brakes were needed. Not fun!
      07-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just throwing another option in the mix but G-loc offers various compounds for the Z4 M. This company was started by former employees of Carbotech. If I had to guess, R8 front and R6/8 in rear is closest to a dual duty setup.
      07-09-2019, 12:16 AM   #25
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeka1 View Post
Congrats on the AP Kit, very nice setup!
Tracked it this weekend. Changed pads at the track. Took me ~15 minutes, and I could do it in 5 if I was hustling. It's a lovely setup!

As for performance, it's night and day over the stock brakes and DS2500 pads. I am not sure how much is pads vs BBK, but man an AP Racing Radical Pro 5000R set of calipers with Ferodo DS1.11 pads is a really great set up!

I got my personal best lap time at The Ridge down to a 1.59.32 from a 2.00.46. Lots more to improve upon (at least getting to a consistent 2 flat would be my next step hehe).

I definitely have a lot to learn on how to brake properly with this setup; I think I was causing the ABS to kick in. Need more time on it, but super happy with it after 1 track day. I absolutely love how easy it is to change pads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
Thanks for the mention. The brake ducts have been ready for a month but the laser cutting company have been swamped as of late, I will swing by the upcoming week and see if the brackets are done.
That's awesome! Very interested in this, the work you were doing looked outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Just throwing another option in the mix but G-loc offers various compounds for the Z4 M. This company was started by former employees of Carbotech. If I had to guess, R8 front and R6/8 in rear is closest to a dual duty setup.
I recall looking at those some time back, seemed like good pads & compounds. Do you have any personal experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
This is exactly the same issue I had with the DS2500s. The step in the spring that's supposed to lock the pad into the caliper piston wasn't formed correctly and the pads wouldn't stay locked in. When they popped loosed they'd push the caliper piston back (effectively same as knock back) and I'd get a long brake pedal the first application after rolling for a bit. I was actually doing a left foot brake pump coming into the braking points so that I'd have full pedal when brakes were needed. Not fun!
It was actually your thread on here that helped my shop figure it out. THANKS for that! Super unnerving when driving on a track. I was still able to turn decent lap times, but was constantly wondering if the brakes were going to give up - it was that feeling that made me decide to do the AP Racing BBK.

Super happy with the AP Racing BBK. Now I need to learn to drive much better!

Cheers!
Eamonn
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:39 AM   #26
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Tracked it this weekend. Changed pads at the track. Took me ~15 minutes, and I could do it in 5 if I was hustling. It's a lovely setup!

As for performance, it's night and day over the stock brakes and DS2500 pads. I am not sure how much is pads vs BBK, but man an AP Racing Radical Pro 5000R set of calipers with Ferodo DS1.11 pads is a really great set up!

I recall looking at those some time back, seemed like good pads & compounds. Do you have any personal experience with them?

Eamonn

Congrats on the new PB

No experience with G-loc but I ran Carbotechs on my E90 and thought they were decent but then again I wasn’t running an aggressive compound. I have a BBK that I am waiting to put on during the off season and may consider the G-loc for next year. I like their wide selection of pad choices and the price point is really good compared to PFC and Hawk.
      07-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #27
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:

I got my personal best lap time at The Ridge down to a 1.59.32 from a 2.00.46. Lots more to improve upon (at least getting to a consistent 2 flat would be my next step hehe).

I definitely have a lot to learn on how to brake properly with this setup; I think I was causing the ABS to kick in. Need more time on it, but super happy with it after 1 track day. I absolutely love how easy it is to change pads!

That's awesome! Very interested in this, the work you were doing looked outstanding.

It was actually your thread on here that helped my shop figure it out. THANKS for that! Super unnerving when driving on a track. I was still able to turn decent lap times, but was constantly wondering if the brakes were going to give up - it was that feeling that made me decide to do the AP Racing BBK.

Super happy with the AP Racing BBK. Now I need to learn to drive much better!

Cheers!
Eamonn
Super! Glad it helped!

Poop in your pants kind of scary when the brake pedal drops 3/4 of the way with no resistance LOL.
      07-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #28
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Picked up brake shields and brackets for 5 kits today at the laser cutters. I will print brake cooling ducts on payment. I'll post a thread within a week in the classifieds section.
Azeka1284.50
eggman51198.50
      07-13-2019, 12:06 AM   #29
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
Picked up brake shields and brackets for 5 kits today at the laser cutters. I will print brake cooling ducts on payment. I'll post a thread within a week in the classifieds section.
I will watch out for this - looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #30
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I will watch out for this - looking forward to it!
I just posted a thread in the classified section about this kit.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1634387