ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #23
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Good job Reach, that looks awesome.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Its not in the trunk next to the battery for the new Z4s its behind all the carpet lining behind the seats in the trunk. HiFi being Premium Sound/DSP ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #25
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

BimmerZealot,

There are 2 levels of DSP available in the Zs, carver and non-carver. The "Carver" system only differs in the rear bass fill 6.5" woofers, which are long-throw woofers in the carver model, and receive a higher amplified voltage through the stock amp.

Here are pics of the carver woofers and amp for reference:

I'm not familiar with the amp relocation of the post facelift Zs. I don't have one and have never torn into one. It may be as you say, but I would like to see a picture to verify. Take a shot of the amp and I can tell you if that's it. Actually, I'd just like to see a shot of your battery bay to see what changes they made in there.

Also for consideration: you cannot ditch the OEM amp entirely without losing radio reception. The OEM amp controls the turn on and processing for AM & FM, and without it you will either not receive a signal (lots of static, mostly) or have a stacked amplified signal if you try to bypass it, which will not sound good. So, consider adding your own amp and leaving the OEM one in place just to process the radio. This is of course what I did.

This link was from z4um and provides everything you'll need to know about the stock systems: http://users.telenet.be/AcousticSolu...eb/carhifi.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #26
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Basically the battery bay, right below the battery where your amps are its just empty, its where the tool case is located and nothing else. The amp is definitely behind the carpet. So if I look behind my seats I'll find "Carver" subs? I have subs for sure just dont know if they are the "long" ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

They're woofers, not subs (or sub-woofers), but yes, they will be behind the large speaker grille behind your seats. It you pull them out you can compare the part #s. However, looking at the amp is really the easiest way to tell. The sticker is on the side.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #28
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Oh okay, I guess I'll muster up the patience to tear apart the trunk in the next few days and take a peak. Thanks for the info. So if I dont have a HiFi amp i can upgrade the HU right?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #29
Z4INHTOWN
SEMPER FI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2.5i sport package

Smile head unit upgrade

i just purchased an aftermarket headunit for my 03' 2.5i , with the 10-speaker system,non carver, i also already bought the mounting kit,antenna adapter,and harness , so i also have to get an aftermarket amp to get it to work right ? i'm just trying to get everything i need for when i go get it installed ,any input is much appreciated, here is what i bought to replace the oem headunit.

http://www.audiosavings.com/product_...3-4a2f30daccff
Appreciate 0