ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #287
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkingShip View Post
Hello there I have had my dice for a few weeks now and I was really enjoying it. However, today the display has switched and I only get one visible character which scrolls through the spelling of the artist or playlist. I have tried to switch the display using disc6 button but I am having no luck. Any helpful advice?

Cheers
Some BMWs are a bit temperamental during the initialization process. Perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #288
SinkingShip
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0

How does resetting the car battery positively affect the Dice? Do you have an online video demonstrating this process?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #289
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Just released this week, the Silverline PRO kit adds a new operating mode called SMART Mode. This mode allows users to switch between Locked and Display Modes using the Hold button on the iPod. This supplemental guide only applies to users who have selected to set the DICE kit to SMART mode. This is done using the DIP switches on the interface module.

Display mode is especially great for those iPhone/touch users and the Pandora app or internet radio.

More info here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...62#post5075562

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #290
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

Just ordered mine and hoping this was worth the money!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #291
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!

ZERO NOISE NOW.

I can confirm that the Radio Interface - Dice Silverline kit is indeed totally free of any interference compared to the Trunk Interface kit.

The iBus digital noise or what ever it was... Dit Dit Dit noise I was experiencing from the trunk interface kit was bordering on my deal breaker limit.

The Radio Interface kit is only slightly more complicated to fit but the quality of audio is far superior to the Trunk Interface kit.

From my testing the R40 Dice Silverline harness for the Z4 and maybe some other BMW models needs to be modified to work with vehicles with SatNav. See pic below for details.

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #292
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!

ZERO NOISE NOW.

I can confirm that the Radio Interface - Dice Silverline kit is indeed totally free of any interference compared to the Trunk Interface kit.

The iBus digital noise or what ever it was... Dit Dit Dit noise I was experiencing from the trunk interface kit was bordering on my deal breaker limit.

The Radio Interface kit is only slightly more complicated to fit but the quality of audio is far superior to the Trunk Interface kit.

From my testing the R40 Dice Silverline harness for the Z4 and maybe some other BMW models needs to be modified to work with vehicles with SatNav. See pic below for details.
Glad you are up and running, thanks for following up.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:54 AM   #293
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!

ZERO NOISE NOW.

I have had terrible noise problem too with the trunk cable and haven't had a chance to drive down to OC. Did you get the radio interface kit to work WITH a navigation unit? I can't stand the noise anymore
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #294
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I have had terrible noise problem too with the trunk cable and haven't had a chance to drive down to OC. Did you get the radio interface kit to work WITH a navigation unit? I can't stand the noise anymore
YES.

Noise is totally gone and SatNav works 100%.

Just follow the illustration in my original post for directions and you won't believe the difference.

I had searched hundreds of posts on every forum to find a solution and there was no definite fix I could find to this very common issue. I'm glad I nutted out the problem and hopefully all others with this problem will be able to benefit from my experimenting.

I went through three Dice kits and finally ordered the R40 Radio harness as a last ditch effort as I knew there had to be a solution. Then after not getting SatNav with the R40 harness I had to fix that issue. Now I have!

I feel E.A.S. and Dice should amend their website to reflect this modification instead of recommending the 'Trunk Interface' kit for vehicles that have SatNav. This was not an option for me.

For me the 'Trunk Interface' kit with the associated interference was unacceptable. I would not recommend the 'Trunk Interface' kit to anyone as even if the noise is not too bad with it, the alternative will be infinately better with the 'Radio Interface' kit.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #295
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
YES.

Just follow the illustration in my original post for directions and you won't believe the difference.

I had searched hundreds of posts on every forum to find a solution and there was no definite fix I could find to this very common issue. I'm glad I nutted out the problem and hopefully all others with this problem will be able to benefit from my experimenting.

I went through three Dice kits and finally ordered the R40 Radio harness as a last ditch effort as I knew there had to be a solution. Then after not getting SatNav with the R40 harness I had to fix that issue. Now I have!

I feel E.A.S. and Dice should amend their website to reflect this modification instead of recommending the 'Trunk Interface' kit for vehicles that have SatNav. This was not an option for me.

For me the 'Trunk Interface' kit with the associated interference was unacceptable. I would not recommend the 'Trunk Interface' kit to anyone as even if the noise is not too bad with it, the alternative will be infinately better with the 'Radio Interface' kit.
Not all vehicles react the same, some are a bit more sensitive to EFI than others.

At least with us - you have a choice on which kit to choose from. We're also here for support if needed.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #296
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
YES.

Thanks! Did you install the module in that empty space under the radio? Also, where did you run the wires to, i.e. where do you put the ipod?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #297
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Did you install the module in that empty space under the radio? Also, where did you run the wires to, i.e. where do you put the ipod?
Yes, in the Z4 there is plenty of room under the radio to fit the Dice module. This connects to the R40 Radio Interface harness that you plug into the back of the radio. From there I ran the iPod connection lead into the glove-box. You do not need to cut or drill anything, when you drop the glove-box down to expose the fuse panel you will see a hole in the top of that compartment.

I leave my iPod in my Z4-MC permanently.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #298
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Where did you get the R40 from? Looks like I'll have to pay another $40 for the correct harness
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #299
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get the R40 from? Looks like I'll have to pay another $40 for the correct harness
I ordered the R40 harness separately from E.A.S.

The R40 harness comes standard in the Dice Silverline 'Radio Interface' kit.

Maybe you could swap yours over depending on how long ago you bought it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #300
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the R40 harness separately from E.A.S.

The R40 harness comes standard in the Dice Silverline 'Radio Interface' kit.

Maybe you could swap yours over depending on how long ago you bought it.
Yeah I already asked Tom but I bought it last year so I can't exchange it Maybe I can swap it with someone who ordered the wrong harness or wants to switch from radio to trunk. You saved the day with the info
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #301
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I already asked Tom but I bought it last year so I can't exchange it Maybe I can swap it with someone who ordered the wrong harness or wants to switch from radio to trunk. You saved the day with the info
I only want people to be able to gain from my errors and ultimately enjoy the Dice product. It is so fantastic now I have everything working 100%.

Just ask yourself, are you seriously going to miss a lousy $40.00 anyway?

It's really a small price anyway for the R40 harness. For the difference it makes it is well worth the cost, you won't regret the swap. Ok so you made a mistake and ordered the worng kit, doesn't matter.

I think the Dice install cost me well over $500.00 with all the extra shipping and additional return shipping costs after 3 exchanges and plus flat battery issues. However, it was the BEST money I have spent in ages!

I have to lock the steering wheel after I remove the ignition key on my Z4 to make sure there is no drain on the battery but after much research that cured any possible current draw.

At the end of the day I do not regret buying the Dice or dealing with E.A.S. as they have a great customer service and support system and the Dice iPod kit really is a great product.

There are always going to be small issues in any retro install when trying to intergrate iPod into a vehicles OEM audio system but with time and patience you can work them out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #302
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think the Dice install cost me well over $500.00 with all the extra shipping and additional return shipping costs after 3 exchanges and plus flat battery issues. However, it was the BEST money I have spent in ages!

At the end of the day I do not regret buying the Dice or dealing with E.A.S. as they have a great customer service and support system and the Dice iPod kit really is a great product.
Yes I have had a positive experience dealing with EAS as well and from what I have read in this thread and other forums, they really try to address the issues.

At $500 however I would definitely buy Intravee II unit which IMO is superior to the Dice unit in functionality, options and ease of navigation. Of course it is alsoo more expensive: $250 for the unit and another $50-100 for the Alpine iPod adaptor that's necessary.

In the end what's important is that you got it to work properly and you also learned something that can benefit others as well Now THAT is well worth $500.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #303
jonanator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 335i, '06 Z4MC

I have a 2006 Canadian Z4M Coupe. I have premium package and navigation (no THX system). I am pretty sure I am prewired for a CD changer. What kit do I need? Do I have analog DSP or digital DSP?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #304
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonanator View Post
I have a 2006 Canadian Z4M Coupe. I have premium package and navigation (no THX system). I am pretty sure I am prewired for a CD changer. What kit do I need? Do I have analog DSP or digital DSP?

Thanks
All 2006+ models are Analog DSP, the additional converter is not needed.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #305
jonanator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 335i, '06 Z4MC

^ Thanks! I just ordered it!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #306
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Ok now I have a new problem! I got the R40 cable that connects to the back of the radio, took out the radio and can't figure out what the R40 (the end that doesn't connect to the radio) should be plugged into! I have navigation, if that makes a difference. I couldn't find any guides to install the radio interface
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #307
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok now I have a new problem! I got the R40 cable that connects to the back of the radio, took out the radio and can't figure out what the R40 (the end that doesn't connect to the radio) should be plugged into! I have navigation, if that makes a difference. I couldn't find any guides to install the radio interface

There are probably no instructions included with the R40 cable because the installation is both extremely obvious and basic they didn't believe anyone could possibly need them.

The R40 plug goes into the radio and the R40 socket end connects to the cable that was originally connected to the factory radio. There is also a breakout cable on the R40 that connects to the Dice Silverline module.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #308
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There are probably no instructions included with the R40 cable because the installation is both extremely obvious and basic they didn't believe anyone could possibly need them.

The R40 plug goes into the radio and the R40 socket end connects to the cable that was originally connected to the factory radio. There is also a breakout cable on the R40 that connects to the Dice Silverline module.

HAHA definitely NOT one of my brighter moments I can't believe I couldn't figure that out, specially since I retrofitted the nav myself and had installed all those cables in the first place!
Now that it's done the sound quality is amazinG! Until now I had so much noise that it was like using an FM transmitter. Now it's crystal clear! Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0