ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-21-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Reverse lights not working help

My reverse lights don't work 99% of the time. I've already replaced the switch on the gearbox but the problem remains.

I'm thinking it could be a wiring issue. Anyone had this problem before and solved it?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Put the car in reverse with ignition on (not started). Check the voltage across the backup light socket connectors. Either there is voltage or not. If not go to the reverse switch in the gearbox and physically ensure switch is engaged. Recheck for voltage.

If power/voltage is now present... I would suspect reverse switch alignment is off preventing the switch from being in the "closed" position.... except for the 1% of time when it is...

This is all premised upon your statement that 99% of time reverse lights don't go on...

Also.... clean the reverse socket connections to ensure proper contact (clean/replace lights as well).

If there is voltage when first checked... clean socket connectors and replace bulbs with new. See if that solves your issue.
      05-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Thanks for that, never knew there was any alignment to worry about. Will get my workshop to check it.
Appreciate 0